5150 build.

There is going to be a mark III. Through all this I have got new information, spoken to people who have direct relevant experience and collated a lot of better images .Verified some myths and abandoned others developed my painting and relic techniques with this type of paint . The best sources of parts have come along with me and modified there product to the evidence that I have provided . I will provide information as I can and photos when I have things to show. I will probably sell at least one of the others after this as I only really want one. For this build I have the suppliers on my side and reproducing details not normally seen .The one issue I do have is I have not yet got an FRT5 I only have a Schaller Floyd from 6 months later. I do have the right tuners and I will probably use my vintage neckplate on this one and a reproduction on the one (I still haven't got the neck for. SOON though). This turned in to a crazy long project and has already gone to places I never expected but the final guitar should be extremely close bar the prototype Floyd .

The acceptable differences are going to be :
1. Stainless steel frets and a two way truss rod.
2. The heel width will be fender 55.55mm not the ESP standard of 56mm
3. The Floyd will be a German FRT5 not a Mike Hanson built prototype.
Thats it. The relic will be 1986 era without cigarette burns or additional holes for the tables on the back.
One unverifiable; did 5150 have a deep flat neck pocket and a big shim to get the 1 degree or was the angle in the pocket(still deep)? It could be either as you can't tell from the pictures. IF it was a body cut for a Rockinger or Fender it's flat if it is slightly later it's 1 degree. The Rockinger bodies have two extra holes drilled for the position of the outside two screws (six screw fender mount) and the later ones only have the Floyd post holes drilled.
The original pick up is a thread on it's own.

While sat in waiting on my "out for delivery" neck I'm contemplating making a trem arm the same as the FRT5 for my next version.
The pics above show it is just stock bolts and washers and a piece of 6mm stainless bar. This is what Frankie has on it now. Some time ago The FRT 5 was taken off and an old Schaller was fitted that has had the arm from the FRT 5 transferred as that was the feel Ed liked (very loose with a lot of play) The issue would be that without the collar the trem bar could move about in the oversize hole through the baseplateIMG_2224.JPG
Meet the real Frankie (not a replica),you can see what I mention here. The question would be can I stand it to be like this or should I just do it because that's as close as I can get?

Next is to replicate the half ass removal of the finish on the original that caused the light patches over the fingerboard.
This is going to require some weird masking and some clear followed by razor scraping;
IMG_2236.jpg
The exposed patches are where the finish was left on the original.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom