5150 build.

Loving this thread. Thank you Andy for sharing this experience with us.

Just curious. What is your technique to fill those neck holes for redrilling?

Loving this thread. Thank you Andy for sharing this experience with us.

Just curious. What is your technique to fill those neck holes for redrilling?
The body is 30mm thick at this point so I cut four pieces of softwood dowel 6mm diameter and run a 6mm drill through the existing holes to make a clean bonding surface (in the drill press) and glue them in to place with Titebond original . I push them flush with the back and a fraction on a mm is proud in the neck pocket which is trimmed and sanded flush before redrilling to the Kramer pattern plate. When done this is actually better than if it hadn't been. The dowels even in softwood have the grain going in the direction of the compression and this has far more resistance against crushing and can support a tighter neck bolt without deforming the heel.

Some new pictures ;
253213605_10223669217712729_691966167236181602_n.jpg
A bit sharper than the usual crap.
IMG_2104.JPG
Back to fuzzy but useful because the tape is off.
Just an added note; Notice the clear coat still on half of the neck (the clean bits in the older pics). You can see the scraper marks (probably a single sided razor blade) caused by someone doing a crap job of removing the finish from a OEM neck. The half ass sanding job on the back is (to remove the finish there) IMO the reason for the asymmetric neck profile . I still have a hard time trying to figure out the chain of events that put this guitar together. Oh also the fact that it was a strat/beak head finished ready to go before it was converted is why the string retainer bar is in the wrong place for the final head shape (drilled for straight string pull). The internet screams swamp ash painted by George Felise and the neck converted by Paul Unkert but this leaves so many unanswered questions as to why the guitar is so badly made (half filled, not sanded, taped by a four year old, neck modified with the wrong wood, pickup broken JB ) half or even all of this is BS unless it can be strung in to a cohesive narrative that explains the guitar as we see it.

Last edited:
Mine needs more tape damage on the lower bout because I copied a later version with the full wear from violining the volume control.

The only good picture 245940464_10223669220792806_7864467264200187239_n.jpg
About ten holes in the end and the hook moved (again) The white balance also makes it look orange (which it isn't) and more wear because this is 15 years later.
5150,7.jpg
Also white balance is off a mile but you get the idea.

This on mine;
IMG_2119.jpg
Remember it's not supposed to be quite as late in the day as that picture above. The real problem is working from photos that are years apart to get all the details and angles.

Very cool Andy.

The color on the 5150 looks really different, or the way it reflects maybe. Is it really that different, or a picture artifact?

Yes it is 1981 GM WA 7753 Chevy Red Orange. Mine is the exact same colour. Photograph it in daylight on a modern camera next to mine and it would be pretty much identical. A lot of people make these and paint them in orange red engine enamel and it's just not like that in daylight.
The purple blanket mine is sat on and the yellow artificial light 5150 is in is your difference here.

How were you able to get the Floyd slammed down on the body like that? I’m wondering what the angles and depths in the neck pocket would have to be to achieve that sort of setup.

How were you able to get the Floyd slammed down on the body like that? I’m wondering what the angles and depths in the neck pocket would have to be to achieve that sort of setup.
On forums about EVH 5150 there is a misconception that the old FRT5 Floyd used a deeper neck pocket than the later Schaller one. Let's get this out of the way first.
A bit of background on the Kramer Pacer body;
These were built out of house by a company called Sports originally to take a fender style 6 screw bridge and in order for the neck to sit at a similar hight over the body as a strat with the pick guard on the neck pocket was made deeper by about 3mm but still straight and well inside the adjustment of the bridge they were using.
First change was the new Rockinger tremolo which also fitted the same geometry.
Now we go to the FRT5 Floyd. This requires more string hight at the bridge than a straight neck could give unless you either; 1 cut the neck pocket less deep or ; 2 put a shim or add a shallow angle to the pocket so the string hight could accommodate the new Floyd floating slightly.
The first FRT5 are flat with a big shim and then subsequently a small angle was added to give a bit of space to float the bridge.
If you look at 5150 you can clearly see the deep set slightly angled neck.
The angled pocket with the slight leeway remained unchanged when the Schaller Floyd became standard because it was well inside the adjustment range of the FRT5 floating. The Schaller baseplate is about 1mm thicker than the FRT5.
Now how to get the EVH setup flat on the body with the right action and it actually working properly:
The finished guitar is a Musikraft pacer cut with a neck pocket angle to give the Floyd room. It is about 18mm deep at the back and 1~2 degrees slope to the front. My German 1984(original) Floyd has had the intonation bolts ground to the exact thickness of the baseplate (so no protruding) and the leading edge of the baseplate has a bevel cut so that when you press down the bar it does not crash the underside (of the baseplate) in to the body causing it to dislocate on the posts if you continued to press down. All German Floyds need this mod or a clearance hight to work properly. Wolfgangs have a channel routed instead to produce the same clearance. The Gotoh 1996 has the bevel already and works far better in this situation.
Now you have the Floyd flat or close you need to look at the action. In an ideal world no neck shim and the Floyd flat and resting would give you 1mm action and you could then slightly tweak the posts to fine tune. BUT this is hardly ever the case and you need to get the action you want almost entirely using neck shims until you get close enough to tweak the posts.
This set up is probably the hardest to get right in the whole business. At least you can just remove the neck and Floyd without even detuning it. WTF I hear you say. If you hold the Floyd bar to the back to keep tension you can remove the springs. Now carefully allow the trem to just tilt up to its max and you can carefully unhook it from the posts. Effectively no string tension remains and with the tension off you can remove the neck.
If you reverse this you will find it is still in tune. Do that with a Bigsby!

I upset everybody on a 5150 Facebook group by effectively proving that Ed liked to add fake wear on his guitars and the back of 5150 was probably 70% sanded.

Oh and I found a few pick in daylight and flash with decent white balance to put the Duplicolor Orange to bed as wrong.142370295_257332445753233_4125398394176101136_n.jpg142573628_257332459086565_1016794246234790026_n.jpg

IMG_2098.jpg
Yes I know, not enough wear on the lower bout and I haven't sanded the back as much as Ed did.:tearsofjoy:

On forums about EVH 5150 there is a misconception that the old FRT5 Floyd used a deeper neck pocket than the later Schaller one. Let's get this out of the way first.
A bit of background on the Kramer Pacer body;
These were built out of house by a company called Sports originally to take a fender style 6 screw bridge and in order for the neck to sit at a similar hight over the body as a strat with the pick guard on the neck pocket was made deeper by about 3mm but still straight and well inside the adjustment of the bridge they were using.
First change was the new Rockinger tremolo which also fitted the same geometry.
Now we go to the FRT5 Floyd. This requires more string hight at the bridge than a straight neck could give unless you either; 1 cut the neck pocket less deep or ; 2 put a shim or add a shallow angle to the pocket so the string hight could accommodate the new Floyd floating slightly.
The first FRT5 are flat with a big shim and then subsequently a small angle was added to give a bit of space to float the bridge.
If you look at 5150 you can clearly see the deep set slightly angled neck.
The angled pocket with the slight leeway remained unchanged when the Schaller Floyd became standard because it was well inside the adjustment range of the FRT5 floating. The Schaller baseplate is about 1mm thicker than the FRT5.
Now how to get the EVH setup flat on the body with the right action and it actually working properly:
The finished guitar is a Musikraft pacer cut with a neck pocket angle to give the Floyd room. It is about 18mm deep at the back and 1~2 degrees slope to the front. My German 1984(original) Floyd has had the intonation bolts ground to the exact thickness of the baseplate (so no protruding) and the leading edge of the baseplate has a bevel cut so that when you press down the bar it does not crash the underside (of the baseplate) in to the body causing it to dislocate on the posts if you continued to press down. All German Floyds need this mod or a clearance hight to work properly. Wolfgangs have a channel routed instead to produce the same clearance. The Gotoh 1996 has the bevel already and works far better in this situation.
Now you have the Floyd flat or close you need to look at the action. In an ideal world no neck shim and the Floyd flat and resting would give you 1mm action and you could then slightly tweak the posts to fine tune. BUT this is hardly ever the case and you need to get the action you want almost entirely using neck shims until you get close enough to tweak the posts.
This set up is probably the hardest to get right in the whole business. At least you can just remove the neck and Floyd without even detuning it. WTF I hear you say. If you hold the Floyd bar to the back to keep tension you can remove the springs. Now carefully allow the trem to just tilt up to its max and you can carefully unhook it from the posts. Effectively no string tension remains and with the tension off you can remove the neck.
If you reverse this you will find it is still in tune. Do that with a Bigsby!
Amazing. This is just the info I needed. How did you bevel the edge of the Floyd? Bench grinder or belt sander? I have both but I’m not sure which one feels more safe to me haha.

It’s possible the wear on the back was him sanding it down to make it sit more comfortably on his body.
Not in my opinion .
Amazing. This is just the info I needed. How did you bevel the edge of the Floyd? Bench grinder or belt sander? I have both but I’m not sure which one feels more safe to me haha.
First disassemble the Floyd to only the baseplate and then use whatever you are most comfortable with. You can actually use a file and then neaten it on a wet stone like sharpening a chisel . Doing it in a controlled manner is the important part and knowing exactly how it should look when it is finished BEFORE you start is what matters.

Back
Top Bottom