5 Minute Tones

Here's the latest installment with the mighty Friedman BE. This one sounds good with just about anything you throw at it!

I’ve used the BE as my main (dirty) amp for years now. I’m now slowly taking another route for a maybe stupid reason. Which is: it sounds so great, and gets used so much by everybody everywhere, that it kind of loses its appeal. The Friedman sound has become too generic.

I’m back to where I started 20 years ago and that’s Bogner (Ecstasy). More difficult to dial in, much more picky when it comes to IRs, but with more character and it growls.

I’ve used the BE as my main (dirty) amp for years now. I’m now slowly taking another route for a maybe stupid reason. Which is: it sounds so great, and gets used so much by everybody everywhere, that it kind of loses its appeal. The Friedman sound has become too generic.

I’m back to where I started 20 years ago and that’s Bogner (Ecstasy). More difficult to dial in, much more picky when it comes to IRs, but with more character and it growls.

I understand where you're coming from. The BE is always the first amp dirty amp I dial up when I'm showing someone what the Axe can do yet i rarely end up using it myself. I've had more luck with the Uberschall and the Atomica for hard rock tones when recording, and the C++ and Recto fill the gap for super heavy tones. The Ecstacy can be a PITA to dial in but it's one of those amps that just comes alive in a mix. Are you using the classic or modern mode?

As someone who's never had the opportunity to play a real Bogner and who has yet to experiment with the models in the Axe, would you guys mind explaining what makes them a tricky one to dial in and any top tips to do so?

Maybe a contender for another of your 5 Minute Tones videos Leon?

As someone says who's never had the opportunity to play a real Bogner and who has yet to experiment with the models in the Axe, would you guys mind explaining what makes them a tricky one to dial in and any top tips to do so?

For the Blue channel:

- use a V30.

- turn MV, listen to what it does to the tone and gain and set it where you like it. I like it a little higher than default.

- get accustomed to the sound. The Ecstasy in general can be left a little dark and it should growl in the low mids. It’s not pretty when you set the amp too harsh.

- if you’re not cranking Input Drive, turn on Bright.

- don’t turn up the mids too much. Depends on the IR.

- play with Presence and Treble, listen what each control does. Treble is important for gain too. I set both at 6 or so.

5153 blue in the house!

Absolutely brilliant, always learn something new with these videos - had to read Yek's amp guide to finally understand what the Supply Sag and Variac controls actually do, so thank you both.

Could you possibly do one on the Corncob at some point?

Loved the playing as always too - your picking hand is ridiculously efficient, reminded me of Paul Gilbert

Absolutely brilliant, always learn something new with these videos - had to read Yek's amp guide to finally understand what the Supply Sag and Variac controls actually do, so thank you both.

Could you possibly do one on the Corncob at some point?

Loved the playing as always too - your picking hand is ridiculously efficient, reminded me of Paul Gilbert
Leon featured the Corncob in this video:

It’s not a five minute tone, but the patch is online, so it should only take 30 seconds to get it ;)

This one does the Cornford too:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom