5 minute tones - Pitch Follower

Hmmm....I use a scene for this....you’ve got me thinking! Great video series! Great product! And... in five minutes!

That does look like a useful tool, and I can imagine that attaching it to the mid or treble controls could be interesting. Thanks!

I think I posted about doing it with the drive block but the idea is the same.

That's exactly where it came from ! I remember it well ..., and I use it very often too ....

Didn't you use a similar approach with the Drive / Distortion control too ?

A couple other uses for the pitch modifier:
  • "Duck" chorus on bass for low notes - keeps the low end tight but still have a nice chorus sound for the upper register. Boss did this on one of their bass chorus pedals
  • Again on bass, control the mix of a lower octave (or two) so that you don't overwhelm the fundamental on low notes.
  • For solos, increase the delay mix when you play higher - aka, dynamic "talent" control
  • Similarly, I've also messed around with controlling the intensity/mix of filters, formant, wah, etc. based on pitch.

A couple other uses for the pitch modifier:
  • "Duck" chorus on bass for low notes - keeps the low end tight but still have a nice chorus sound for the upper register. Boss did this on one of their bass chorus pedals
  • Again on bass, control the mix of a lower octave (or two) so that you don't overwhelm the fundamental on low notes.
  • For solos, increase the delay mix when you play higher - aka, dynamic "talent" control
  • Similarly, I've also messed around with controlling the intensity/mix of filters, formant, wah, etc. based on pitch.
Some brilliant ideas here! "Dynamic talent control" is my favourite!

Great video Leon. You have me thinking how to apply this to my eq section. I work as a FOH tech in a local theatre and use a DigiCo SD9 console that happens to have 4 bands of dynamic eq if you want to use it. And I do use it to control extreme top end, bottom end and muddy midrange or to boost frequencies when weak and it works great. So if applied to the AF3, it can tame those shrill high notes we get with high gain preamps and floating whammies when playing in the top range of the guitar. Thanks again Leon for the video.

my favourite use for this is to create portamento in the pitch block. set the tracking mode to envelope and then attach the pitch mod to the frequency parameter. you'll have to fine tune the start, mid and end values, so that it tracks pitch perfectly in tune, but you can then add some "damping" (in the II), or some attack and release time (in the III) to make the transition from one note to another slower than instantaneous.

Back
Top Bottom