5 Artists that are you

I cannot f-ing believe Led Zeppelin has not been mentioned yet!!?? 5 is no way near enough. I would say I have 5 major influences for every 5 yrs I've been playing guitar (almost 30yrs yikes)

1.) RUSH
2.) Led Zeppelin
5 (three sir. Three!) King Crimson
4.) TOOL
5.) Soundgarden

Honerable Mention:
YES
GENESIS(Peter Gabriel Era)
Peter Gabriel
Dream Theater
The Mars Volta
Iron Maiden
Queensryche
Radiohead
The Mahavishnu Orchestra

Guitarists:
1.) Alex Lifeson
2.) Jimmy Page
3.) Steve Vai
4.) John Petrucci
5.) John McLaughlin

Edit: LOL. In the time it took me to write my list two guys posted the same outrage at the lack of a Zeppelin mention. Haha. Anyway...

This is in chronological order
1. Thorogood (first taste of distortion - bye country Dad music! Hello perforated eardrum : ( )
2.Gary Moore - Victims of the Future
3.Led Zeppelin
4. Maiden/Priest
5 . Rush

This will be tough, but I'm going to stick to guitarists who have influenced me the most (or try to, i doubt I can keep it to 5)

1. Steve Vai (the guitar duel in Crossroads is what made me want to play guitar. His stuff on the DLR Band albums was a huge influence on me)
2. George Lynch - I started out so theory minded, he came from such a unique place..I wore Back for the Attack OUT. Still one of the best guitar albums in rock history. Beast from the East i a close second.
3. Richie Kotzen - the first guy that i heard that married crazy chops with genuine soul and emotion. he's still one of my fav players.
4. Nuno - Mind-boggling chops and writing, great blues funk feel and a wicked sense of humor in his playing. When i play now, I realize he may have influence me more than anyone.
5. Dann Huff - perfect note choice, phrasing, chops, tone....

plenty more, but those guys are the benchmark...

as for bands, there is no way to narrow it down to 5.

These are my 5 in no particular order all equally the same which have imprinted on my soul permanently.

* Frank Zappa
* Michael Hedges
* The Beatles
* Van Halen
* Metallica
* Tool
* Led Zep

Mike Einziger from Incubus
Slash
Santana
That gimp from A7X who stole my style, which I stole from Slash.
Mark Tremonti

And now for something completely different (in no particular order):

• The Beatles
  • Stevie Wonder
  • Tower of Power
  • Tuck Andress / Tuck & Patti
  • Harry Connick, Jr.

When I very first started...

The Police
Dream Theater
Rush
Megadeth
John Martyn

I guess those are the most formative of all of them, but that list is from 20 years ago - my tastes have broadened rather a lot since then and my playing has taken on things from all sorts of other area (funk, jazz, country, folk, blues...)

Pantera
Faith No More
Dubwar/Skindred
Carcass
Suicidal Tendencies/Infectious Grooves
Metallica
Tool
RATM
RHCP
The Cult
ZZ Top
Prodigy
Depeche Mode
Sublime
Skunk Anansie
M'chelle Ndgeocello

Everything I've been exposed to has influenced me in someway. Even the things that a person hates or dislikes pushes you in another direction. When I first started playing I tried to avoid same old classic rock songs and later tried to avoid the same old blues box solos that everyone else played. Eventually I came back to some of these things because they just work so well in popular music. Like it or not, it kinda became the language you relate to other musicians with!?
Now, most everything musically is used so much it's all clichés.

Pat Metheny (all his stuff, be it the group, jazz trios, solo acoustic, etc.) his musicianship, role as the producer, and just being a visionary in his approach to music and never resting on his laurels. his approach with the group is similar to my favorite progressive rock bands in that they sound so much bigger than the number of musicians in the band and there is really no sound or approach they can't tackle.

Pink Floyd (the collective effect of their songs, lyrics, tone, the PF "mood" is singular)

Rush - their musicianship, integrity, humility, erudition, professionalism, friendship, catalog of great music, etc...

Yes - considering all the great musicians who've been part of that band, including the classic lineup as well as the Trevor Rabin era. All great musicians, and in their heyday they succeeded despite all the different egos and backgrounds of the musicians.

Led Zeppelin - any of the four members could have been the nominal front of a band on their own. the complete open mindedness in the styles, tempos and tones they played. Jimmy's vision for what the band could sound like in the studio, the songs, and more than anything, the mystique. Led Zeppelin has the "thing" that's indefinable and seldom achieved by bands. Regardless of their "plagiarism", they always took those tunes and made them something else. The bulk of their catalog is original material, and their greatest songs were original.

Jackson Browne with David lindly
kiss
cheap trick
eagles
'77 '78 Era guitar players. Very melodic guitar parts back then, and not a lot of distortion. Slightly over driven.

sorry and the last is David Grissom, he is my latest, I play a lot in his style. I love his approach to the instrument.

Yup... Just a metal head... hard to break out of the box to play other genres but working on it!

Megadeth
Anthrax
Suicidal Tendencies
Slayer
Sepultura

Back
Top Bottom