4CM

AD/DA converters won't affect frequency response, and impedances are pretty standard across all Fractal devices. The FX8 has extremely low-noise components, which helps reduce noise when you run 4CM into high-gain amps. But there's nothing in either device that would change the spectrum.
What frequencies sounded boosted to you? What frequencies sounded cut back?
AD/DA converters have THE most important impact on the sound and spectrum. I didn't save the spectrum analyses that I've made back in the days when I've tested it (I just remember the ranges approximately). Just one day I've founded that without AX8 my amp sounded better and made a pink-noise spectrum snapshot with and without AX8. There was a lot of a differences between them. So it confirmed what I heard. That's all. So that is the reason for my question.
If someone can do the test to compare two snapshots it will be cool! :)

P.S. Yes I used high quality humbuster cables for connections with AX8, so no need to point on it ;)

Last edited:
AD/DA converters have THE most important impact on the sound and spectrum.
Let me rephrase that. Well-designed converters have uniformly flat frequency response.

The converters on the AX8 are designed to deliver a frequency response of +/-1 dB from 20 Hz to 20 KHz at both the inputs and the outputs. Any deviation from that would have been cause for contacting Fractal support.

Last edited:
Have you tried to reamp with and without FM3 and compare the signal?

I'm sorry I don't understand what you're asking. What does 4CB method have to do with reamping? Or are you asking if I tried running the amp models into effects return of my amp?

Let me rephrase that. Well-designed converters have uniformly flat frequency response.

The converters on the AX8 are designed to deliver a frequency response of +/-1 dB from 20 Hz to 20 KHz at both the inputs and the outputs. Any deviation from that would have been cause for contacting Fractal support.
Yes and No :) Unfortunately for the moment there is no such converters in existance. All of them have some differences in response and some distortion. So yes AX8 converters are great, no they are not best on the market (price point). Just wondering if FM3 converters and software side are better, much better or the difference is tiny.

I'm sorry I don't understand what you're asking. What does 4CB method have to do with reamping? Or are you asking if I tried running the amp models into effects return of my amp?
Not at all. When I have a doubt in what I hear I usually take measurements. In my case when I thought I hear a difference in my amp sound with and without AX8 I've put a white noise generator at place of a guitar and done two measurements one just the amp without AX8 and one with AX8 4CM and amp. After that I've compared two spectrograms to see if I really hear the difference or it was just my ears that fulling me. And there was several differences in the spectre. So I was wondering if someone of FM3 users here can do the same test and put results here? :)

Yes and No :) Unfortunately for the moment there is no such converters in existance. All of them have some differences in response and some distortion. So yes AX8 converters are great, no they are not best on the market (price point). Just wondering if FM3 converters and software side are better, much better or the difference is tiny.
You're right that there are some differences between converters. But it sounds Like you're saying that the published specs are wrong. Can you clarify?

To be honest I didn't have much attention to the spec. I see that FAS team made max to get the best results each time they put a new product on the market.

In ten years, I’ve had no reason to doubt the published specs of Fractal gear. If you encounter data that suggests otherwise, please consider preserving that data and posting it here.

I’m running my FM3 in 4CM with my Mesas.

Can I still run a pedal in the loop of the FM3 and assign it to a block?

Would I use Input/Output 2 R?

Thanks.

I’m running my FM3 in 4CM with my Mesas.

Can I still run a pedal in the loop of the FM3 and assign it to a block?

Would I use Input/Output 2 R?

Thanks.
If you want to use a physical pedal with the FM3 running 4CM you can only put that in series either before or after the FM3. And you need to manually turn it on or off. Or you could get a MIDI switcher for that.

The loop of the FM3 is needed for 4CM so there is no other option as there is only one loop available.

If you want to use a physical pedal with the FM3 running 4CM you can only put that in series either before or after the FM3. And you need to manually turn it on or off. Or you could get a MIDI switcher for that.

The loop of the FM3 is needed for 4CM so there is no other option as there is only one loop available.

Ah, ok. Thanks for your help.

Just to clarify, you can put the pedal in the chain in the loop as well. So there are four places you could put your own pedal:
  1. Before In 1, making it the first effect in the chain before the amp;
  2. After Out 2, making it the last effect in the chain before the amp;
  3. Before In 2, making it the first effect in the FX loop of the amp;
  4. After Out 1, making it the last effect in the FX loop of the amp.
So the statement is still correct - there is only only loop and it's needed for 4CM, but you do still have some flex as to where you can put your outboard effect. Clearly not the same flexibility as you have with the III though.

Back
Top Bottom