4CM: Does it color the dry input signal?

NizarOdeh85

Inspired
Started experimenting 4CM with my EVH, and I have the below set as recommend:

IN1 -> OUT2 Gate: OFF, Levels: 0, EQ: Flat

IN2 -> OUT1 Gate: OFF, Levels: 0, EQ: Flat

Both OUT1 and OUT2 knobs are maxed.

Before adding any effects, I noticed that the overdriven dry signal is colored in unpleasant way...Digitalish way...Is there a way to keep the dry signal natural? :(

Quick questions:

1. What type of cable are you running from Output 1 to the FX return? XLR to TS? XLR to TRS?

2. Which model of EVH amp are you using?

In my experience, even with the FX8 which was specifically designed for 4CM, there was no way to perfectly preserve my dry amp tone when using the FX8 for pre effects. It was very close and sounded great in its own right, but just different enough that it bothered me. So, I only used the FX8 for post effects in a wet/dry/wet rig. Pre effects were true bypass (or good buffer) pedals before the amp. I wonder if there is an analog dry thru in the FM9 or AXE-III? If they had something like true-bypass in a pedal before the amp, it would be perfect for me. You might find a way to make it work as is for you though.

What kind of rig are you setting up? Mono? Stereo? Wet/dry? Wet/dry/wet?

Started experimenting 4CM with my EVH, and I have the below set as recommend:

IN1 -> OUT2 Gate: OFF, Levels: 0, EQ: Flat

IN2 -> OUT1 Gate: OFF, Levels: 0, EQ: Flat

Both OUT1 and OUT2 knobs are maxed.

Before adding any effects, I noticed that the overdriven dry signal is colored in unpleasant way...Digitalish way...Is there a way to keep the dry signal natural? :(
I don’t know what “digitalish” sounds like, but I do know that when it’s just passing signal, with no effects or other blocks, the FM9 still acts like a buffer in front of your amp. I’ll bet it sounds pretty much identical to the way your amp would sound when it’s being fed by a buffer.

Last edited:
I noticed a little coloration using 4CM w/ my Friedman Runt 50 head, and I used Humbuster cables. It wasn't terrible, and WAY better than the FM3, but still a little noticeable. I don't think there's anyway to avoid a little digital coloration, being how many times the signal is converted from analog to digital and vice versa. It's the nature of the best, I suppose. I think it's usable in a live setting, personally, but in the bedroom, it's more noticeable.

The high notes sound rounded and fizzy...I tested the amp alone then with the FM3.
I tried both scenarios: OUT 2 and OUT1...No difference.

The high notes sound rounded and fizzy...I tested the amp alone then with the FM3.
I tried both scenarios: OUT 2 and OUT1...No difference.
Are you in the wrong forum? This the FM9 section.

If you are using an FM3 you do NOT want to set Out 1 to maximum. Out 1 is NOT unity gain on the FM3.

Back
Top Bottom