3U vs 4U rack for ax3 ?

Thomas Obester

Experienced
I wanna buy a rack for my ax3 only.

What are the benefits to use 4U rack instead of 3U rack for ax3 ?

Or are they any benefits, if there’s no other gear that will be mounted together ?

When I had the Axe-FX II (2U) mounted on a 3U rack, I had all the connections at the front panel, so I could place it at the floor. At the gigs I placed it besides the tripod speaker stand of my FRFR monitor

Now, with the Axe-FX III and a 3U rack, I cannot do that anymore. I would need a 4U.

Axe-FX floor.jpg

I have everything hooked from back side of ax3 and no plans for any wireless or power strips.

If I can leave cables behind AX3 inside rack and there is good enough heat distribution, I think 3U could be the way to go for me.

But I would like to know from more experienced users, if there are other benefits to use 4U instead of 3U, in my case, thanks :)

I switched to 4 RU initially for vertical stability. If my unit isn’t sitting on top of another rack then I prefer it to stand vertically on its own. 3RU doesn’t quite have the solid base when standing on end. Gives me easier access to controls as well.

I route all my connections to the side instead.

I have everything hooked from back side of ax3 and no plans for any wireless or power strips.

If I can leave cables behind AX3 inside rack and there is good enough heat distribution, I think 3U could be the way to go for me.

But I would like to know from more experienced users, if there are other benefits to use 4U instead of 3U, in my case, thanks :)

Certain power amps would benefit from a ventilation space, but that is not needed for the Axe-FX III. If not used for gear, cables, a 1U tray to keep things, or a decorative panel, I would go for 3U

Certain power amps would benefit from a ventilation space, but that is not needed for the Axe-FX III. If not used for gear, cables, a 1U tray to keep things, or decoration, I would go for 3U
I would like to keep the cables (unplugged) from ax3 inside of shallow 3U rack.

Do you think that would be possible ?

I think for your use case a 3U will be better, however I always found that just 1 more rack space is almost ALWAYS better, for things like wireless, bringing the connections to a strip, a power conditioner, a power amp, or just to pass the cables through, having the extra space is always a plus.....and these are things I've had in and out of my case with my iii, depending on what I'm doing at the time

I have a 4 space SKB case for mine so I can use a power conditioner with it. I'm always needing to plug something else in (usually my XiTone speaker and other random devices) so it makes my life a lot easier having one. If you're not using the Axe-FX with anything at all, the 3 space SKB will do you just fine

From What I read so far, it looks like most of you guys are using power conditioners with your ax3.

I always thought that this is a “must have” tool for tube amps, as they change a lot with power fluctuations.

Does this apply to ax3 also ?

It depends on your preference, but I generally do recommend using a good quality power conditioner. The basic rack-mount conditioners (e.g., Furman) can help with RFI, but the main reason I recommend using one is that in the event of a really bad power event, that conditioner will die to protect whatever is plugged into it. On a few occasions, I've plugged into stage power that was incorrectly wired, delivering 240 volts to my gear. The power conditioner immediately tripped, saving my gear. That alone made it worth the investment.

If you really want to have stabilized / conditioned power, you need something like the Furman M-8X AR, or AR-1215. Those devices are voltage regulators, and can correct low or high voltage to absolutely stable 120VAC. It's (probably) overkill for most users, but if you ever play a gig where you are using power from a generator, I'd strongly recommend it.

I’ve had the Axe FX in 4 to 6 space racks mostly. The 4 allows for a power regulator or patch panel, the 6 also allowed for a 2 space rack drawer to keep gig stuff in. Either are easy to transport.

As we’ve been doing a small 3 piece thing through the pandemic, it’s currently in a 20 space rack that also houses a Presonus 32 channel rack mixer, some effects and wireless gear/router, and a shelf for my RJM. Just goes to show you can put in inside whatever works for what you’re doing!

Back
Top Bottom