3 Body Problem

I'll hold off until they complete the series.
I was looking out for 1899 after watching Dark, but they cancelled after the first series.
Same with The OA.
Ugh! I was so disappointed with both the 1899 and OA cancelations. 1899 was hard to follow and you needed to get to the last episode to fully understand what was going on. From what I read the show had good numbers of views to start, but most people gave up on it and stopped midway. As always it production costs vs viewer numbers. My main issue is that I tend to like the high production value shows, so they need major views or they get the ax. First time I realized that was Rome on HBO.

I'll hold off until they complete the series.
I was looking out for 1899 after watching Dark, but they cancelled after the first series.
Same with The OA.
I really liked Dark and OA. I started to watch 1899 but bailed after a couple episodes when I read it had been cancelled. A non-sci-fi that was pretty good (also cancelled early) was World On Fire.

I really liked the series, very much.

Let's hope there's another season.

Next: Shogun

Edit:

@MisterE

Till this day im still bummed they canceled OA, the permisse and ideas of that tv show were amazing. Really cool sci fi stuff.

I can't forgive Netflix for canceling the OA and Archive 81, specially when they give so many seasons to utter crap.
^^^ Yes this.

I don't watch many TV shows but I watched this one. I liked it in a way that I now want to read the books.
Never heard of "The OA", but I was also bummed that they cancelled 1899.

Watched the series after having read the first book. I thought it was decently well done given the source material, namely the accuracy of the visuals like the TBP game itself and the "sophons". Both were really exciting to see adapted. The pacing I can imagine was even more difficult for non-book readers, and it felt really weird between the first half and second half of the season, as they kind of rushed the entire first novel into the first several episodes, since the ending of episode 5 is pretty much the ending of the first book. The pace kind of just drops off from there. @FractalAudio perhaps this is what you were noticing above? In any case, I wish they had spent more time in the TBP game.

The characters were OK. They were very weakly written in the books, and so I was less upset by Netflix's trademark need to mess around with casting as I normally would be, and in some cases it worked out for the better. Benedict Wong absolutely crushed it as Da Shi, he was exactly how I imagined his character in the books. Auggie, on the other hand, was insufferable the entire season. I have no idea what her character was supposed to be besides snarky and mean to every single person she interacted with.

Overall I thought it could've been better, but could have been much worse. I was looking forward to season 2 by the end.

Watched the series after having read the first book. I thought it was decently well done given the source material, namely the accuracy of the visuals like the TBP game itself and the "sophons". Both were really exciting to see adapted. The pacing I can imagine was even more difficult for non-book readers, and it felt really weird between the first half and second half of the season, as they kind of rushed the entire first novel into the first several episodes, since the ending of episode 5 is pretty much the ending of the first book. The pace kind of just drops off from there. @FractalAudio perhaps this is what you were noticing above? In any case, I wish they had spent more time in the TBP game.

The characters were OK. They were very weakly written in the books, and so I was less upset by Netflix's trademark need to mess around with casting as I normally would be, and in some cases it worked out for the better. Benedict Wong absolutely crushed it as Da Shi, he was exactly how I imagined his character in the books. Auggie, on the other hand, was insufferable the entire season. I have no idea what her character was supposed to be besides snarky and mean to every single person she interacted with.

Overall I thought it could've been better, but could have been much worse. I was looking forward to season 2 by the end.
The last three episodes are more fun if you have read books 2-3. They are purely set up from the early chapters of those books for stuff that happens later. The payoff will be worth it if the show gets more seasons.

I watched it. Top notch.

Are the books more detailed? I really want some gaps filled in. I'll read them anyways, but would love it if they spent more time on detailed stuff...

I watched it. Top notch.

Are the books more detailed? I really want some gaps filled in. I'll read them anyways, but would love it if they spent more time on detailed stuff...

They do indeed spend a lot more time going into details, namely with the science fiction stuff. I personally felt it went into too much detail on some of it to the point where it became hard to keep up with, but if it's what you're looking for then you'll definitely enjoy them. I know the first book had a "special thanks" section that named several physicists, so I know the author took that stuff as seriously as one can.

one word: season 8

Wasn't even just that. Think of all the cool directions stories were going, to never amount to anything. It took more than one season to create that mess. GoT goes down as one HBO series that I will never re-watch. No point to it.

That said, D&D didn't screw up 3BP. It's been years since I read the book, but it seems like they pretty much went with it. And of course it's Netflix, so race/gender swapping is all over the place. I think they should have maybe just kept the cast Chinese, but maybe that doesn't sell in Europe or something.

I've wanted to watch the Chinese version, but 30 episodes of a subtitled show is a big task for me, as I'm not always 100% looking at the screen.

Though it can be painfully slow moving through some of the episodes, I thought the Chinese version did a great job of highlghting the key events and story elements that were not so well highlighted (at least for me) in the Engilish book one translation. It makes a good companion to the reading of book one.

Problem with reading the books is I don't remember who's who by name :|
Shogun is awesome. In between the release of the episodes I started to watch Kurosawa's movies again

3 Body Problem might be good but they lost me in 5 minutes due to gratuitous graphic violence.

Back
Top Bottom