2 Q's re: "amp up/down" and FW updates TIA

gtrnstuff

Inspired
I've read the manual cover-to-cover and all the release notes with the FW since 12.
The Global/update all presets operation is mentioned.
The amp de-select and re-select didn't seem to be mentioned IIRC.

The FW 15 beta thread has people talking like this is an essential part of upgrading FW.
This is the first time this has sunk in enough for me enough to ask about it.
Each update that had new amp modeling tweaks sounded different to me, and I thought, better, so I hadn't done this.
I'm still on 14.04 until I have more time to deal with this.
EDIT: oops, 14.02, not that it matters

SO then,
To actually hear what the new FW is intended to do for the amp models, *must* you de-select and re-select the amp in your presets?

*Both* X and Y in *each* amp block of *every* preset?

Last edited:
Good question. I'd also like to know the global update all presets will do this without having to reselect each amp.

Good question. I'd also like to know the global update all presets will do this without having to reselect each amp.

No. Update All Presets is the same as Recall / Save for each preset individually. The idea is the stored version of the preset contains the new data format that matches the firmware.

The release notes specifically state the amp block should be changed to a different amp type and back with this firmware. So that's what I did.

I don't normally do the amp type switch back and forth unless the release notes say to do it.

Ah, OK I just read the release notes for FW 15 again.
So this is a "must do" for 15 but not necessarily for previous versions?

And to ask again, it's necessary for both X and Y of every amp block in every preset?

Ah, OK I just read the release notes for FW 15 again.
So this is a "must do" for 15 but not necessarily for previous versions?

I just look at the release notes and follow them.

And to ask again, it's necessary for both X and Y of every amp block in every preset?

Yes its a manual process. But obviously only for presets you actually use and only the X and Y states that you use.

IIRC there are a couple of things going on here, when the modeling algorithm changes, the "inputs", i.e. value going into the algorithm might not make sense any more. So resetting to a default value gives you a better chance of hearing what is intended. Vs. using the old value and maybe the sound being way off. This is what the amp type change / change back does.

The second is new parameters, if any, need to be set and stored in the preset. This is what the update all presets does. Or Recall and Save if done manually.

Do you need to this only for presets that you've created or modified or do the all the factory presets also require "amp up/down"?

Do you need to this only for presets that you've created or modified or do the all the factory presets also require "amp up/down"?

And there's another good question.
I'm guessing "all" unless you install new factory presets from the FW release?

The second is new parameters, if any, need to be set and stored in the preset. This is what the update all presets does. Or Recall and Save if done manually.

So, you're saying if I don't use the "Update all presets" I'm missing something when tweaking patches?

I guess what I'm asking, is the "Update all presets" a MUST DO in order to be totally up to date with the latest firmware?
No issues here with tone, but just mainly wondering if this isn't really needed, then why have it.

Starting to put too much on this topic. :?

I guess what I'm asking, is the "Update all presets" a MUST DO in order to be totally up to date with the latest firmware?
No issues here with tone, but just mainly wondering if this isn't really needed, then why have it.

I can't say about what is required or not other than what the release notes specifically say.

In the case of the FW updates what I do is:

1. Make sure I have my presets backed up.
2. Make sure MFC is not connected to the AxeFx.
3. Make sure AxeEdit is not running.
4. Use FractalBot to update the FW.
5. From the Front Panel: Utility -> Reset
6. From the Front Panel: Utility -> Presets -> Update All Presets
7. Do anything specially mentioned in the release notes.
8. Re-figure out my input settings by using the front panel meters.

No.

I can't say about what is required or not other than what the release notes specifically say.

In the case of the FW updates what I do is:

1. Make sure I have my presets backed up.
2. Make sure MFC is not connected to the AxeFx.
3. Make sure AxeEdit is not running.
4. Use FractalBot to update the FW.
5. From the Front Panel: Utility -> Reset
6. From the Front Panel: Utility -> Presets -> Update All Presets
7. Do anything specially mentioned in the release notes.
8. Re-figure out my input settings by using the front panel meters.

Is 5. suggested to reset in the utility after the update?

Back
Top Bottom