16.05 Test

I wonder... does Cliff use schematics based on these pieces of gear or just try to recreate the sound that the harmonics, artifacts, eq, etc add to the tone by ear

Oh sweet nectar....

Fractal will be breaking into an emulation space previously only occupied by UAD as far as I know. While there are a metric shit ton of plug ins out there, UAD is the only one I know of using sharc processors to handle the emulations. I will love to see Fractal's take on the various studio hardware units. I'm pretty sure there was an LA 610 on the first Van Halen album, not sure about the mixing desk and other gear. I defer to the real VH scholars for those details. I don't think Fractal can challenge UADs supremacy overall, but I definitely think they can do a great job, and these emulations would be exceedingly useful within the AxeFx, at least for me.

"So I coded a quick mic preamp simulator/strip EQ.."

Besides Cliff who DOES that ?

BTW - I have lotsa UAD stuff and if this is the direction FAS is thinking of going I'm completely onboard if that means Axe FX III to handle the CPU requirements. Universal Audio has really screwed the pooch in a lot of regards involving price points and customer service.

UAD is STILL way behind these guys:

Sonic Core

...except when it comes to marketing...

I am not missing this part of the chain. I incorporate the UAD Neve 1073 preamp through my Apollo with the Axe FX. Actually, everything that goes into my Apollo is run through the Neve 1073 pre amp. Once the 1073 was released, it was a no brainer that it was going to be used on EVERYTHING!

It's crazy that now the Axe is even going to model that aspect of the recording chain as well. Cliff you're amazing! :)

Makes total sense, I would say most of the classic tones we all love include this coloration in the end result. Clip was bad ass. Great great idea.

I am not missing this part of the chain. I incorporate the UAD Neve 1073 preamp through my Apollo with the Axe FX. Actually, everything that goes into my Apollo is run through the Neve 1073 pre amp. Once the 1073 was released, it was a no brainer that it was going to be used on EVERYTHING!

It's crazy that now the Axe is even going to model that aspect of the recording chain as well. Cliff you're amazing! :)

I'm not necessarily missing it either since I have the Apollo, in fact I've been using UAD plugins for delay and echo effects. That being said, I still like the idea of having those options within the AxeFx, and for all the people only using the Axe, it would really expand their sonic palette. Not that you can't get amazing tones with just an amp/cab right now. I don't think the quality will be able to approach that with dedicated units like the Apollo unless FAS builds a new AxeFx with more processors, but that's based on my very limited knowledge of modeling in general.

I'm not necessarily missing it either since I have the Apollo, in fact I've been using UAD plugins for delay and echo effects. That being said, I still like the idea of having those options within the AxeFx, and for all the people only using the Axe, it would really expand their sonic palette. Not that you can't get amazing tones with just an amp/cab right now. I don't think the quality will be able to approach that with dedicated units like the Apollo unless FAS builds a new AxeFx with more processors, but that's based on my very limited knowledge of modeling in general.

It is safe to say, speaking in general terms, that Cliff's accomplishments with the Axe FX presented a far greater challenge than modeling outboard gear (given that he's already done the heavy lifting by modeling transformers under load and his 'virtual vacuum tube').

I am very encouraged by his recent foray into outboard gear modeling because he has the special sauce to do it properly. ;) Thanks to Cliff's efforts with the Axe FX and its future derivatives, things are going to be incredibly nice by 2020. :D

Well I did email you about this last week Cliff. ;)

That definitely sounds a lot like EVH.

You did? The only emails I have from you are responses to my inquiries as to the brand of preamp you were using for your IR captures as I was concerned about the quality of the preamp. I recommended an API preamp.

Maybe I missed one.

(...)the brand of preamp you were using for your IR captures(...)

Good point, forget always to ask this! What did you guys used for the shooting? Or did you complement IRs by subtracting (or was it dividing? forgot it ... ) the inversion not only of the Power amp, but also the preamp for linearity ( = used recorded sinesweep through mic pre + power amp for reference in voxengo ...) ?

Good point, forget always to ask this! What did you guys used for the shooting? Or did you invert not only the Power amp, but also the preamp for linearity?

We always use API. Any frequency response nonlinearity in the preamp will be in the IR, which is a good thing as the microphone and preamp should really be considered as a symbiotic pairing. So an IR isn't "4x12 Recto C414" it's actually "4x12 Recto C414 API".

We always use API. Any frequency response nonlinearity in the preamp will be in the IR, which is a good thing as the microphone and preamp should really be considered as a symbiotic pairing. So an IR isn't "4x12 Recto C414" it's actually "4x12 Recto C414 API".

Yes, í`m with you on that. Question is: Did this also count for Clark/Irotlas Cab Pack? Or how and with what did they done the job ... ?

ups ... i see ... wrong thread ... damn ...

But apart from that: If you now put a mic pre sim in the axe ... than we double the mic pre also: real mic pre + simulation ... (like power amp sim + tube power amp) ...

Wouldn`t do some of the many EQ options in the axe the same/similiar job to shape the sound???

So - to me - using a mic pre sim did only make sense (?!?), if the real mic pre was a super clean one - or we get one super clean real mic pre in the next gen ... ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom