1500 bucks, you say, Line6?

holy crap.

isn't a helix related to fractals?

this looks like a pre-emptive strike on the AX8 to be honest. color LCD, screens on each switch. rack version with foot controller as well. i like the mic pre, if it indeed can handle a mic for vocals and some separate processing.

line 6 has always been good at those bells and whistles, and honestly those things win over customers time and time again. i side-by-side compared my axe with someone's hd500 thing and they agreed that mine sounded so much better. but theirs had bluetooth for the iPad, so they like theirs way better than mine.

:)

Looks interesting. I do like some of the interface features, the LCD, and the switch screens. I just hope it's not an HD500 in a new package. And I hope that LCD is bullet-proof...

ps. A helix is sort of a spiral. For example, DNA is a "double-helix." But it is sort of going for the same concept.

I gotta say, for $499 I'm sold on that Helix control for my Axe FX :) :

Jun15_LNU_Line6_Helix-Control_WEB.jpg

There literally is no downside for us as guitar players here. If this thing is the real deal and you get one, then that's great. If it's not, continue to enjoy what you are already using. Clearly Line 6 took customer feedback seriously and it would appear that they've done some nice user interaction design work. The I/O options are pretty darn sweet.

The brain of Helix is Line 6's dual DSP HX modeling engine. Representing a giant leap forward in guitar technology, the HX engine reproduces every minute detail that goes into a great amplifier and effects sound and, just as importantly, its feel. Every single aspect has been taken into account, down to an amplifier's power supply ripple and tube sag, ensuring you receive an ultra-realistic playing feel and experience. The classic bloom and compression of some amps and the powerful punch of others are all faithfully accounted for. And you can also load custom impulse responses to personalize your tone.

"Before Helix, powerful amp and effects modeling came with a significant learning curve."

Really interesting they're making a product at that price tier. I guess it was bound to happen, with Fractal and Kemper demonstrating there's a market.

The video shows you can adjust sounds, as in tweak the parameters of amps and effects - with the footswitches. That's an intriguing concept.

Still I agree with those who already said "bet it looks better than it sounds". :)

The more I read about it the more I think you're right. It seems to be just a controller for the rack version of the Helix as opposed to a budget RJM style midi controller :(

If that is indeed the case......well, crap. I'm out. I got all excited with that form factor and price point for a possible controller for my Axe with ritzy LED's and labels.

Back
Top Bottom