1500 bucks, you say, Line6?

Sounds very good so far to me with great options as well........Line6 has stepped up their game for sure!

I'm glad I preordered for $1199 shipped, so I can test it all out for myself when it drops in August!

There is nothing else they need to do. Buy it with what it ships with, & don't assume anything else will be done but bug fixes if required.

I wouldn't even assume that much, when they dropped support for the Vetta, the last firmware was still full of bugs, and never got another update. That's part of why I sold it, I ran into too many bugs using common functions. It was like that for over a year before they announced they were dropping support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I like about Line 6 is their efforts to recreate specific vintage effects models. So far, the Axe has very few of these. High-quality generic effects are great, but I really like models of specific pedals with all the idiocyncracies.

I like this too. UAD does this with their plugins and I really like that approach.

What I like about Line 6 is their efforts to recreate specific vintage effects models. So far, the Axe has very few of these. High-quality generic effects are great, but I really like models of specific pedals with all the idiocyncracies.

That actually drove me crazy when I had a HD500. I wanted more studio clean effects, but everything they had took over the signal too much and had that vintage pedal sound to it. Drove me crazy :) I never did like any of the modulations very much.

So, I checked out the new demo vids... I can't quite put my finger on it, but there sounds like there's this "sameness" to all of the tones I've heard from it so far, like an underlying global EQ-ish thing going on. It's neither good nor bad, just seems to be popping out at me.

That said, I listened on my work laptop. Not the best listening environment or equipment. I'll have another go at it at home tonight.

At this point, I will say I'm more impressed than I thought I'd be by the tones, but coming from the AxeFx world, it's still kinda' 'meh' IMO.

So, I checked out the new demo vids... I can't quite put my finger on it, but there sounds like there's this "sameness" to all of the tones I've heard from it so far, like an underlying global EQ-ish thing going on. It's neither good nor bad, just seems to be popping out at me.

Probably cause, so far, they've been using the same amp model (a Marshall Plexi)?

Last edited:
That actually drove me crazy when I had a HD500. I wanted more studio clean effects, but everything they had took over the signal too much and had that vintage pedal sound to it. Drove me crazy :) I never did like any of the modulations very much.

Nothing wrong with having both.

Sounds very good so far to me with great options as well........Line6 has stepped up their game for sure!

I'm glad I preordered for $1199 shipped, so I can test it all out for myself when it drops in August!

You adopting anyone Oliver Warbucks? :mrgreen

It would be nice to have both as you have pointed out and it has been mentioned before that having specific models that sound like the real counterparts for sale would be a win for FAS, I know I would buy them. I understand why FAS doesn't want to do this they would rather you use your imagination and come up with something new but I rather like the classics and I know that there are others in this camp as well.

It would be nice to have both as you have pointed out and it has been mentioned before that having specific models that sound like the real counterparts for sale would be a win for FAS, I know I would buy them. I understand why FAS doesn't want to do this they would rather you use your imagination and come up with something new but I rather like the classics and I know that there are others in this camp as well.

Well for me, FAS (and UAD) blow the doors off of line 6 in their emulations of real world specific effects. It's the idea and commitment to emulate specific pedals that I like in line 6. The line 6 sonic result is hit and miss for me. But hell, the Fractal would spoil anyone, right? It's so dayum good.

I think all this will come to the Fractal in time. The drives just got it, G3 algos, I'm guessing the wah pedals and other efx won't be far behind in the G3 algo rewrites.

Well for me, FAS (and UAD) blow the doors off of line 6 in their emulations of real world specific effects. It's the idea and commitment to emulate specific pedals that I like in line 6. The line 6 sonic result is hit and miss for me. But hell, the Fractal would spoil anyone, right? It's so dayum good.

I think all this will come to the Fractal in time. The drives just got it, G3 algos, I'm guessing the wah pedals and other efx won't be far behind in the G3 algo rewrites.

Yep. It's the idea and commitment of Line 6, not so much the execution. Fractal's amps and drives are scary accurate. To think what they could do with effects makes my nipples hurt.

An interesting rig would be an Axe-II, Helix, and Boss SY-300. Use the Helix as the MIDI controller. This would give you crazy amounts of modeled effects and amps, synths, and external pedals that could be integrated into the Helix loops.

Imagine all the lights and blinking shit you could have with that setup!

I think L6 will probably sell tons of those things, regardless of how it may affect, or not affect Fractal's sales.

One thing I always consider with brand new hardware is potential for a high failure rate. There's SO much "fancy" built into that thing, a LOT of stuff that could fail. Even if I wanted one bad (which I don't because I'm over-equipped with gear as it is), I'd consider waiting til the first wave of buyers gets their units and runs them a few months to see how they hold up in the field. Of course we'll all hear about it in great detail if there are failures.

I wonder if they'll later on come out with a stripped down version to hit a lower price point. Something that can still run Helix models (maybe fewer simultaneously) but is less fancy overall.

An interesting rig would be an Axe-II, Helix, and Boss SY-300. Use the Helix as the MIDI controller. This would give you crazy amounts of modeled effects and amps, synths, and external pedals that could be integrated into the Helix loops.

Imagine all the lights and blinking shit you could have with that setup!

Well, I do like lights and blinking shit...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I think the ADI and the TI parts are roughly the same price-wise. $250-ish for the top of the line ADI part and around $220-ish for the TI part. They're competing in the same space with roughly similar capabilities, so makes sense that their pricing would be the same.

As to why they're so damn expensive? They're low volume parts. Look at the SHARC processors. They're in everything, take a quick sample of the music industry and chances are that 95% of the products that have DSP are using something in the SHARC lineup. For every 100 SHARCs sold there's maybe 1 TigerSHARC.

I think the price is mainly driven by the process node. The TigerSHARC has not been updated in quite a few years so the process node used is very old - the more wafer area per chip = the more $$$...I believe they use a 180nm process.

Something like the TI TMS320C6678, where EACH core is about I would say in a realistic performance comparison about 2x faster than one TigerSHARC.... the C6678 has 8 of those cores and it's about $160-$200 depending on the required package. So no...NOT EVEN nearly in the same neighborhood in terms of capabilities.
It's manufactured on a much newer process node (40nm I think) though so less $$$ to manufacture.
TMS320C6678 | C667x DSP | KeyStone Multicore DSP | Sample & buy

Back
Top Bottom