12ma vs. 8ma - envelope please - and the winner is....

hippietim

Axe-Master
The 12ma! Ok, no surprise there really. But... (there's always a but...)

The 8ma kicks MUCH ASS.

<sidebar>
My 8ma came on Thursday but life happened and I couldn't test it with the Axe-FX until today. Yesterday I spent a bunch of time rewiring the band PA. It's now a sweet prewired rig with just a snake to the stage - 14 sends to the mixer and 6 returns to the stage (2 for the mains and 4 monitor mixes). After I finished wiring it and doing the "tap" test to see if I'm getting signals where I expect them, I wanted to test the stage returns. I looked across the room and there was the wonderfully handy little 8ma. Holy crap this thing was loud and punchy with just an SM58! Of course the real miracle is that I wired the board with those sends/returns, a couple multi-effects, separate EQs for each monitor send, and compressors inserted on the vocal and kick channels and it worked right the first time. :lol:
</sidebar>

Ok, now to the part that you guys actually care about. I fired up the Axe-FX and first ran Out 1 to the 8ma and Out 2 to the 12ma. I was getting very low output from Out 2 even with things cranked (WTF?) so I abandoned that idea and just switched back and forth between the 8ma and 12ma from Out 1.

At moderate volumes like you'd need at rehearsal or like an open mic jam type thing the 8ma held it's own quite well. In fact, I was totally digging the 8ma. It got loud enough to get my ears ringing and then some. Then I switched over to the 12ma and it was like "oh yeah, this is a bad mo-fo". The 12ma just has more punch in the low-end. There really is no way to get the chest thumping low-end out of the 8ma that you can from the 12ma. But here's the cool thing - the 8ma handles all the bass well - it can't render it the same way as the 12ma can at high volumes but it doesn't fart out (get flubby, etc.) at all. I cranked stuff way loud and the 8ma took it all and handled it. It did feel like there is some sort of limiter though since it just capped off at a certain volume no matter how much signal you hit it with. But it never "gave up".

My plan for the 8ma is to use it as a stage monitor and my backup amp for gigs and I'll use it with a POD X3 for grab and go situations. This is a fantastic box.

BTW, if you plan on grabbing an 8ma I highly recommend you grab the carrying bag - the 8ma doesn't have a handle. It may only be 24lbs but for it's size it is relatively heavy with a semi-slick finish and you really want a handle to carry it around.

I should also add that the 8ma really has great clarity in the mids and highs without any of the "playing in a cement tunnel" sound that you get with a bunch of smaller/cheaper FRFR systems.

At more "reasonable" volumes without going for chest thumping bass settings the 8ma hangs with it's big brother quite nicely.

And at very low bedroom volumes I think the 8ma probably sounds a little better than the 12ma.

Cool. Really interesting and fun to read your thoughts on this. Not many can do a 1:1 A/B between the two.

Thanks for sharing!

Wow, great side by side.

I think for what I do, the 8ma would be the way to go. Save me some $$$ too! :cool:

Great review,

I've got my 12ma sat under my desk at work where I can't use it because our rehearshal room has run out of storage space. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. :evil: :evil:

hippietim said:
I should also add that the 8ma really has great clarity in the mids and highs without any of the "playing in a cement tunnel" sound that you get with a bunch of smaller/cheaper FRFR systems.

At more "reasonable" volumes without going for chest thumping bass settings the 8ma hangs with it's big brother quite nicely.

And at very low bedroom volumes I think the 8ma probably sounds a little better than the 12ma.
This is really useful information. What I found surprising in my 8ma was when I dumped enough 80hz into it (ipod to mixing board to axe-fx rear inputs), it actually started putting out some concussion.

I've been using the 8ma since summer of '08.
It's so damn small I didn't think any axe-fx users would be interested, so I referred people to the 12ma. But then I cranked mine up when Scott Peterson wanted a bigness-at-decibels report, and whoa..... I started thinking axefxers wanting a small monitor with a big sound at reasonable gig volumes might like it.

Like hippietim said, when it comes to concussive chest thump in the uber-lows,
they're different animals, but the 8ma is still a beast nonetheless. Great review.

hippietim said:
BTW, if you plan on grabbing an 8ma I highly recommend you grab the carrying bag - the 8ma doesn't have a handle. It may only be 24lbs but for it's size it is relatively heavy with a semi-slick finish and you really want a handle to carry it around.

Do you know of any links that show this carrying bag for the 8ma? I cannot seem to find one. I am told it is called a V-53 for $43, but i would like to see what it is. OR, could you describe it in detail?

Thanks

jiagap said:
hippietim said:

Do you know of any links that show this carrying bag for the 8ma? I cannot seem to find one. I am told it is called a V-53 for $43, but i would like to see what it is. OR, could you describe it in detail?

Thanks

It's a nylon bag with a handle that snugly fits the 8ma.

yes, $550 plus shipping, and $43ea for the carry bags.

I committed for a pair, will let you know what I think in a week or two.

:cool:

I'm really glad you all like your 8ma's and the 12 ma The Verve line is of quality construction and powerful

I am glad I went with the 15MA's for a couple of reasons. And for those of you who haven't pulled the trigger I'd like to share them.

The 15" works well for eDrums and Bass as well as Guitar and Vox.

Anyone who is looking for a complete rig now or later down the road will find the extra low frequency and larger driver will lend themselves to creating superior sound reinforcement for the rhythm section.

For a one man band or road warrior gun for hire the 8 or better the 12 will get you there but for the extra 2 bill the 15" I feel is the better bang for the buck.

Good timing! A buddy of mine called me today and asked if I thought the 12ma would work and I told him to look into the 15ma.

What type of drums are you running with the 15ma? What volumes? Have you tried it in a club?

Looking at the 15ma vs the 12ma.....

15ma: 55Hz-20kHz, max SPL 125.5db, 59.5lbs
12ma: 60Hz-20kHz, max SPL 123db, 42lbs

I can't see that the 15ma gives enough benefit over the 12ma to justify the extra expense and weight.......and I would be using it with e-drums as well. Not only that, but I wonder how well a 15" speaker would work vs a 12" speaker with the AxeFx? Even though I'd be using it with e-drums, AxeFx is my number one sound concern.

I'm thinking for e-drums a monitor and subwoofer might be a better consideration. I'm currently using an RCF ART 322A and it is rated to extend down to 45Hz (12" speaker btw), and at times I do wish I had a subwoofer.

I'm considering getting one of these and would prefer the 8ma just on price. However I'm not sure whether it will sound 'big' enough in mono. (I intend to use it for backline at smaller gigs, not just monitoring -- c. 50-100 people.) Can anyone tell me how well the 8ma would reproduce my metal stack presets? I take on board the comment re. extra low mids -- Just wondering whether it's going to be worth the extra expense.

Back
Top Bottom