11Rack. So glad I have the Axe-FX

Dutch

Fractal Fanatic
Avid announced an expansion pack for the 11Rack. Couple new amps, cabs, fx... Out in March and available for...

$99,-

HAH!!!!!

We get them for free!!!!!!!

Really need a long nose emoticon now.

Thanks a billion, Cliff!!!

Only axe-fx for me! ;)

I DETEST manufacturers like line 6 and avid because of this...

I also find it also ironic that you have to pay for SUCKY amp models in pods and 11rack etc, and you get AMAZING ones for free with axe-fx.

So let's see...they want you to pay more for crap, when you can get good stuff for free.....

And people wonder why I chose axe-fx? ;)

tally up all those "free" updates and see if that is the difference in cost between the 11 and axe ;) just kidding.

I originally purchased the eleven rack, and while I liked it, I didn't like it well enough...so returned it. Then it took me a LONG time to make the decision to spend the money and pull the trigger for the Axe-fx.
My primary reason for looking at alternatives to my amp, was that I was playing out again...and between practices and live gigs, hauling my amp was a pain in the arse...I was looking for a convenient alternative to my amp, without sacrificing tone and sound quality. I've found that with the axe-fx...and then some.
SOOOO glad I jumped in with the Axe-fx. I had read threads saying that the Axe-fx was complicated in comparison to the eleven rack. I'm not finding that to be the case at all. Mind you, there's a ton of things I have yet to experiment with and truly understand with the Axe-fx, but that's something I appreciate, rather than find it to be problematic. The difference in sound between the axe and eleven rack is like night and day (and I'm not saying that to bash avid...not my style...this is through my ears and tastes, not necessarily yours). Count me as one that really appreciates the free updates!! The model that Cliff has created here is fantastic. Building a "tribe" of enthusiastic users who are impressed enough to willingly promote his great products is smart smart smart. Count me as one that brags about this unit to everyone who will listen.

Last edited:
I've been telling everyone for months to expect a charge for anything from them. It's their business model and they are very good at it. First you buy the 11R, then you find out that the editor only works in ProTools and then you get charged for an upgrade....and it never ends with these guys. The goal is to get you so heavily invested in their stuff that you actually can't afford to go in another direction because you'd have to replace everything in one fell swoop.

AVID will never get a penny of my personal money because of this.

I hear ya. I'm pretty invested in pro tools proprietary plug-ins, and wish I wasn't. Though I really like pro-tools....probably because of my invested time learning the software and my own comfort level. I don't however, appreciate their business model, so I absolutely hear what you're sayingl

Yeah but don't forget 11 Rack cost half of the axe-fx so ân extra $99 still doesn't make 1600 or 2200 euro's in total.
Plus apparently people who own both units don't see the Eleven Rack amps quality as shitty ;)
And you don't have to upgrade or pay for an upgrade for the Pro tools that came with the 11 Rack for the Expansion Rack to work :)
Offcourse it would have been better to get the expansion for free but oh well it's still alot cheaper than the Axe and it does the job for me. I would be pissed too if I had bought a 1600 or 2200 euro device if I had to pay for updates too :p
Now let the flame war begin :p :D

Last edited:
Yeah but don't forget 11 Rack cost half of the axe-fx so ân extra $99 still doesn't make 1600 or 2200 euro's in total.
Plus apparently people who own both units don't see the Eleven Rack amps quality as shitty ;)
And you don't have to upgrade or pay for an upgrade for the Pro tools that came with the 11 Rack for the Expansion Rack to work :)
Offcourse it would have been better to get the expansion for free but oh well it's still alot cheaper than the Axe and it does the job for me. I would be pissed too if I had bought a 1600 or 2200 euro device if I had to pay for updates too :p
Now let the flame war begin :p :D

Its a war you cannot win!! :mrgreen

Seriously if people are happy with either unit and the business philosophy that comes with it, then nobody else's opinion matters..yada, yada, yada...oh screw it lets have a war instead!!

Let the senseless slagging continue..fire at will boys :lol

Building a "tribe" of enthusiastic users who are impressed enough to willingly promote his great products is smart smart smart. Count me as one that brags about this unit to everyone who will listen.

A couple of user met cliff at a fancy dress party..he did an amazing likeness of alice..

I didn't mean to start a bash-avid thread, just happy with free upgrades! From what I hear the 11-rack is a very good unit and well worth the investment. I've never heard it in person.
I'm just so happy with how my axe-fx has grown without any more investments in contrast.
I would have paid for upgrades, but it's fantastic that I didn't have to!

Last edited:
Yes, and apologies here, as I know my previous thread sounded like I was bashing the eleven rack. For it's price point it's a very good product. Having had both, I personally, just prefer the Axe-fx. If someone has both, or has the eleven rack because they like it better, I have no problem whatsoever with that.

Last edited:
Cheers.

Well, I did feel a bit gloat-some... :D
Could have known this would happen on a forum. :))

2200 Euros for a truck full of amps, cabs, effects and infinite routing posibilities is by far the best investment in my life.

When somebody asks me about the Axe, that's what I always say, not technical talk at all, simply "man, the best purchasing in my life".

Forum newbie here... been playing guitar for 30 years; professional protools guy in the film/game industry for 17 years. Thanks for having me!

This topic is very interesting to me.

I have an 11R and am currently waiting for my Axe-FX Ultra to land on my doorstep (shipped on the 18th! Woohoo!).

I purchased the Ultra based on the ravings of a tonewhore friend and all of the impressive videos on YouTube. Don't interpret this as skepticism as it's not, but to be totally honest, I'm not expecting that much of a step up from the 11R. I understand brand loyalty and all of that but ultimately, the 11R is an incredible piece of machinery capable of most (if not all) of what the Ultra is at 1/3rd the cost. I'm really surprised to see the thrashing about and complaining of a $99 upgrade from people who willingly pay $2k for a very comparable machine. If you're really comparing apples with apples, the 11R allows you to save your settings in protools sessions and you can use it as a USB interface, so in terms of features, it is in a few big ways undeniably superior to the AxeFX.

Ultimately it comes down to the quality of the models, right? I will discover the AxeFX's superiority in that area, which I'm excitedly optimistic about but based on my understanding of the 11R over the past year of owning it and tweaking it, I'll be really surprised if it the models are 3x superior to the 11R as the price dictates. I hope I will be! :)

In the meantime, can anybody point me to some documented sound quality comparisons between the models in the 11R to the same models in the AxeFX? It would be much appreciated.

Best regards!

Back
Top Bottom