Development with the next firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.
The gap would disappear but operational latency would increase.

Their are 3 products with 3 dev teams.

One does not take away from the other.

Nobody is "treating" FM3 customers in any unfair fashion.

The changes from the previous to later FM9 firmware catch it up to the Axe Fx III.

The impending FM3 updates will do the same based on a recent post from Matt.

Your post sounds a bit entitled to me...
Thank you. I understand that Fractal
Their are 3 products with 3 dev teams.

One does not take away from the other.

Nobody is "treating" FM3 customers in any unfair fashion.

The changes from the previous to later FM9 firmware catch it up to the Axe Fx III.

The impending FM3 updates will do the same based on a recent post from Matt.

Your post sounds a bit entitled to me...
I know and am aware that Fractal does everything and the teams try to implement all updates quickly.
I didn't write "unfair" because it's certainly fair behaviour for everyone. I just think it's unequal how the different customers are provided with updates

Thank you. I understand that Fractal

I know and am aware that Fractal does everything and the teams try to implement all updates quickly.
I didn't write "unfair" because it's certainly fair behaviour for everyone. I just think it's unequal how the different customers are provided with updates
So, the solution to this "inequality" is for Cliff to hold off on putting out new stuff until the FM9 and FM3 firmware is ready, then put them all out at once. This, of course, will lengthen the amount of time for everyone. Is that preferable to you?

There were times the FM3 got updates first and the fm9 and FXIII had to wait, this time it’s just the other way round. As long as they keep the quality to the FXIII as close as possible, I don’t mind the wait. I just love my FM3 and enjoy it every single day.
I’m keeping fingers crossed that they also found a way to implement the updated reverb stuff and am looking forward to experiencing X-3.

So, the solution to this "inequality" is for Cliff to hold off on putting out new stuff until the FM9 and FM3 firmware is ready, then put them all out at once. This, of course, will lengthen the amount of time for everyone. Is that preferable to you?
That’s how Line6 does it. You don’t see these kinds of threads for Helix owners. Personally, I have the patience of a monk. Some people just need instant gratification.

That’s how Line6 does it. You don’t see these kinds of threads for Helix owners. Personally, I have the patience of a monk. Some people just need instant gratification.
I own a Floor and a Stomp. There's just as much impatience there as there is here. Literally as soon as an update is released, a thread about "when" the next firmware will be is posted by someone. It's a meme, now.

Season 8 Nbc GIF by The Office

I own a Floor and a Stomp. There's just as much impatience there as there is here. Literally as soon as an update is released, a thread about "when" the next firmware will be is posted by someone. It's a meme, now.
I’m referring specifically to the “when is the FM3 or FM9 getting the III treatment” posts. Not the wish lists or releases in general.

My good people, if you want to be first in line for the updates, upgrade to an Axe FX III ! The FM3 was like half the daggon price and you can carry it into the bathroom with you, I think waiting an extra couple of weeks for updates is a pretty fair trade-off.

Also tweak less, play more!
Worry about firmware less, play more!

If so...then all the "I play 32nd notes at 150 BPM, can't have a gap" crowd would have some very serious problems. (Note, I really don't even have a problem with the current gap)
Huh? There's NO gap. What are you talking about? Have you ever done a cross-fade inside a DAW? If you do it correctly, no detectable gap.

It doesn't, I'm talking about a shift in the order of operation.. What I believe is happening today is when you switch preset is everything is cleared then the newly selected preset is loaded into memory. I'm saying, if the resources are available, when one selects a preset it is loaded into a memory reserved for this purpose, then the switch occurs, then the old preset is wiped. This doesn't speed the actual change, but should eliminate the gap. But of course this is just speculation and I could be super wrong.

EDIT: Memory and CPU are 2 different things, this would only require 2X the CPU if both were active simultaneously, that's not what I'm suggesting.

EDIT2: To be more clear...and I don't know the FM3 architecture, but I'm talking about activity between the RAM and whatever Fractal is using for storage (tiny SSD?). Reserving RAM space as a buffer to load from the SSD when a preset is selected. Wouldn't have significant CPU impact.
I'm fairly certain it doesn't work this way.

And again, this only addresses presets. The gapless feature also applies to channel and scene changes.

We will probably never know as it's probably a trade secret that Cliff won't expose.

Last edited:
Even though I am very satisfied with my FM3, I do not understand this unequal treatment of Fractal customers and users. FM3 customers received the last update in August 2023 ...... FM9 customers received the last update in February 2024 and are receiving the next update today in the form of a beta version......
An FM3 beta update is expected, but it is still not here......
I guess it’s a little more difficult to port X3 on the fm3 due to cpu.

I’m glad enough they will manage to give us this major update on the fm3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom