Axe-Fx III Firmware 24.05 Release

It's funny with some FW updates how your fav amps change or just come around full circle. I don't think it was this update but the last one where many of the Marshalls were updated. It's been awhile since i fired up my Marshall preset as i've been favoring the HBE's a lot lately and the 5150 Blue Stealth but last night went back to my Marshall preset that has the 1959SLP/Plexi 50W 6Ca7/Brit 800#34/Dirty Shirley and wow they sounded soooo damn good. I could just live on this preset basically. I need to throw the Plexi 100W on there also as someone was mentioning how good that model was sounding.. I've also just accepted the fact my core sound preference is always a Marshallesque topology/variation. The one exception to that is the Mark IIC+ preset from Leon Todd that I have always loved.

It's funny with some FW updates how your fav amps change or just come around full circle. I don't think it was this update but the last one where many of the Marshalls were updated. It's been awhile since i fired up my Marshall preset as i've been favoring the HBE's a lot lately and the 5150 Blue Stealth but last night went back to my Marshall preset that has the 1959SLP/Plexi 50W 6Ca7/Brit 800#34/Dirty Shirley and wow they sounded soooo damn good. I could just live on this preset basically. I need to throw the Plexi 100W on there also as someone was mentioning how good that model was sounding.. I've also just accepted the fact my core sound preference is always been a Marshallesque topology/variation
I with you on that one. I’ll go back to presets i thought were OK at the time and WOW now. Either it was FW or my ears. My guess is FW update

I've just been focusing hardcore on the firmware DynaCabs, really fully taking advantage of what they have to offer. There's such a variety of tone color in the different speakers that FAS has chosen to include. My MO is often to use two mics out of alignment, often the 57 with the Soyuz aligned further back and about 6 dB lower, until the pick attack is nice and soft. Then I'll move the mics until I have just the right character.

I've gotten really into so many of the cabs so far, the Bassman, the G12T-100, the Orange, the Tweeds, the Champ, the SLO, the straight and slanted Rectifiers, the 5150 III, the 1960TV, and the CJ11. And what's funny is I feel like it would only take a tiny bit of time to figure out where I'd find good uses for the remaining DynaCabs.

One thing that is huge to me and (as far as I know) completely unique to the Axe-FX III is the ability to work with trimmed IRs in a movable mic sim. I like to remove any obvious reflections, testing by applying wide vibrato to really high notes, so I often settle on a length of 512. The ability to set that length first is huge, then to build the character of the tone knowing this is what the end result will be. I used to use movable mic plugins, carefully setting a tone and capturing a traditional static IR, then I'd trim it in the Axe-FX III, which would of course alter the low end of what I had already worked hard to perfect. The introduction of firmware DynaCabs allowed me for the first time to have what-you-hear-is-what-you-get tweaking with the IRs already trimmed, and that is very powerful to me.

I use the SLP 1959 Plexi for around 80% of all my high gain and lead tones. Up until this firmware, its always sounded phenomenal out the PA but in my ears its been very muddy and vague. I haven't changed anything on the Axe FX and sound hasn't changed any settings on the desk, but it now sounds incredible in my IEMs.

Does anyone know if anything changed that would cause this apart from the tone stack ? My Fenders sound so good now too and also the Small Box.

I use the SLP 1959 Plexi for around 80% of all my high gain and lead tones. Up until this firmware, its always sounded phenomenal out the PA but in my ears its been very muddy and vague. I haven't changed anything on the Axe FX and sound hasn't changed any settings on the desk, but it now sounds incredible in my IEMs.

Does anyone know if anything changed that would cause this apart from the tone stack ? My Fenders sound so good now too and also the Small Box.
Coming from which previous firmware?

Coming from which previous firmware?

Hi Unix-Guy.

I've upgraded from 22.01, that was the firmware I used at the last gig we did on New Years Eve, where the 1959 SLP sounded mushy. I used 24.05 last Saturday for the first time since NYE.

Back
Top Bottom