No sound from Mac by USB

Now using Catalan, new Operating system on a mid 2015 iMac. Have done the recent logic update. Occasional loss of sound due to iMac / sleep standby mode . But this is apple not Fractal issue. Simple reboot all back.
Have you checked about my Mac to see if it can see it?
Plus midi speaker/ audio setup in my preference/ tool section?

I've been working on this. It seems that Mojave and certain models of MacBook Pros are having problems with ALL USB interfaces. This, as we know, includes the Axe III. I tried other interfaces and they are doing the same thing for me. I'll select a drum set in Slate drums to get started on some songwriting and then all sound coming out of the interface stops. I did a full rebuild of my system drive and had some stability for a minute by making sure that the system prefs were using internal speakers/mic and Logic was using the Axe III. But as soon as I switched to Itunes or Safari, or opened a plugin on Logic the sound would stop.

Are all you guys with problems using MacBooks Pros on Mojave? I just want to narrow it down.
I'm about to downgrade to High Sierra and I'll let you know how it goes.
Yes. Mac, Mohave, 2013 Macbook Pro

If it doesn't work, i disconnect USB from the Mac for a hot second, then re-connect.

This is the ONLY problem i ever have using MAC.
Pulling the plug, then reconnecting at the beginning of a session, doesn't even remotely bother me.

I wouldn't even try to fix it. pull, insert, make music.

I had similar issue. Specifically, trying to put Macbook's sound through Axe FX III was preventing things like Music app (former iTunes) and Youtube to play, even video.
It fixed itself after installing Axe-Fx III USB Firmware Update v1.08.

I am using a usb to usb-c adapter. For me to get sound I need to plug just the adapter into my MBP, then I connect the USB that it already connected to the III. Btw the III’s manual says to do it in this order and that is the only consistent way I can get things to all work

I recently bought Axe fx iii, I am very happy about the sound and user surface.
But I cannot seem to get the interface part to work…
My computer is a mac pro I use Logic Pro X at the moment.
I have connected the Axe iii to my computer with the USB and connected my studiomonitors directly to the Axe iii in order of recommendation to prevent latency.
I have sound in on the computer and are able to record both the wet track and a DI track, works good so fare.
But it is not possible to hear the click track or any other backtracks and every time I try to playback the sound cut immediately and cannot get it back again.

I have tried to read information here at the forum.
and it seem to be a commonly problem.
So I tried all the recommended suggestions, e.g reset settings, changing the settings in Logic Pro X, powering down and rebooting, downscale operating system on my mac (so I am on High Sierra at the moment, since it seemed to be a Mojave thing), Plug out the USB to reset USB connection, I have made and Aggregated Device in audio midi setup on my computer even in different variations e.g with the build in speakers and then I have sound from playback with the built in speakers.
But there is no sound thru the Axe iii, so I cannot hear a click track or drum track as record reference, so it is impossible to make any decent recording.
Also I update the Axe iii to 12,03 and the Fractal-Bot that didn't help either.

When I look at the Utility section on the Axe iii, in the USB menu, at the first time after rebooting I have sound in and out. but the second I hit playback, the output level goes to zero immediately.
Since I have sound in on the computer and are able to record the sound, and also have sound out of the internal speakers and also sound for a split second thru the Axe iii. I think it most be in the Axe iii end, something tricker the USB output to cut of.
I have also tried to connect and old Digi 002 rack to stress test the computer and I have sound thru with the Digi 002, so the big question is do you anyone here at FF have any suggestions how to resolve the problem?

It would really be a big help.
Sincerly Morten

So weird. I had my Axe-FX for about 3 weeks with no problems, then I upgraded to 12.06 beta and my USB starts locking up all audio coming from my Mac. A power cycle of the unit or computer will fix it most of the time, sometimes removing the usb cable and reinserting it will fix it as well. I’m still trying to weed out any possible culprits, and hoping it’s not a hardware problem in the meantime.

If it hasn’t been mentioned, in Logic under Preferences / Audio make sure you have the Axe FX III selected there as well.

If it hasn’t been mentioned, in Logic under Preferences / Audio make sure you have the Axe FX III selected there as well.
yes check many times, rebooted as well, also aggregated divice, only work when I playback on internal speakers or some other interface.

So weird. I had my Axe-FX for about 3 weeks with no problems, then I upgraded to 12.06 beta and my USB starts locking up all audio coming from my Mac. A power cycle of the unit or computer will fix it most of the time, sometimes removing the usb cable and reinserting it will fix it as well. I’m still trying to weed out any possible culprits, and hoping it’s not a hardware problem in the meantime.
tried many possibility with the USB i/o all the ports on computer, while running, before, hot switched, and also tried the hub.
I have update yesterday as well, but still no output before and after.

I'm getting some similar things since using the Axe Fx III as my interface - I'm on 12.03 still but Logic shuts down quite frequently for no reason. When I reopen it, it's fine but this never happened when I was using the AX8 so trying to narrow down why that is. Not saying it's a Axe issue, just saying the issue is occurring randomly.

I'm getting some similar things since using the Axe Fx III as my interface - I'm on 12.03 still but Logic shuts down quite frequently for no reason. When I reopen it, it's fine but this never happened when I was using the AX8 so trying to narrow down why that is. Not saying it's a Axe issue, just saying the issue is occurring randomly.

I’m having the issue where YouTube videos and Apple Music refuse to play (the scrubber gets locked up) when the Axe-FX is the selected interface. I haven’t experienced any problems with Logic, but I haven’t been spending a majority of my time with it open either.

I’m having the issue where YouTube videos and Apple Music refuse to play (the scrubber gets locked up) when the Axe-FX is the selected interface. I haven’t experienced any problems with Logic, but I haven’t been spending a majority of my time with it open either.
For me it is the same with youtube, itunes, logic etc... it is all playback.
I don´t mean to be rude.
But I am just wondering since we are more and more experiencing this, if it´s not possible to make and update that are able to fix this?

now I just finished backing stuff up, and uninstall logic and reinstall again in a desperate attempt, still no sound.
I can see in utilities under USB on the axe that there is sound in and out USB, but 0,5 second after hit the playback, sound out is gone.
So only internal speakers or another interface, so I guess I need another interface, for the Axe?

Aaaand it's back. Turned on again and no sound from Mac to Axe-FX again.

Even if I switch all input/output to the built-in audio there's no sound; simply having the Axe-FX plugged in and switched on kills the audio in the computer. Happens as soon as I turn on the Axe-FX, before the "initialising" text appears on the screen, sound cuts out, meters in Logic stop showing output, marker in iTunes stops moving.
I'm hopping in late on this thread. Here's what works for me:

1. Turn the AF3 off (leave the USB connected)
2. Boot your computer
3. Once the computer is up, now turn on the AF3.

By the way - the output selection will send all output to the AF3... so unless your monitors are connected to the AF3, you will likely need to setup up an aggregate sound device (in Audio Midi app in Utilities) to use them.

I'm hopping in late on this thread. Here's what works for me:

1. Turn the AF3 off (leave the USB connected)
2. Boot your computer
3. Once the computer is up, now turn on the AF3.

By the way - the output selection will send all output to the AF3... so unless your monitors are connected to the AF3, you will likely need to setup up an aggregate sound device (in Audio Midi app in Utilities) to use them.

I’ve found it’s not necessary to reboot the computer. Just unplugging the USB and plugging it in again seems to reset the clock and it works fine.

I too am getting USB issues, intermittent signal to the FX3, lost all communication with the FX3, reboot sometimes works.
I wanted to use the FX3 to play music between sets direct from my laptop via the USB.
Updated the the latest MAC OS on my Macbook Pro 2019 and ordered some new USB cables before I start troubleshooting again.
Strange thing is my AXE Edit rarely disconnects.
I will try on my windows laptop and see if I can replicate the problem there

Experiencing the same issue here:
1. It's intermittent, sometimes after starting up Axe III, Youtube has sound, even does not play, no sound from iTune o VLC either..
2. A restart of Axe III often resolves the issue.
3. Reconnect the USB also often resolve the issue.
3. In my case, no DAW was even involved.

My Helix or HX Stomp never has this issue. This is on macOS Catalina 10.15.5, 15-inch 2019 Macbook Pro

Last edited:
I feel like there's something going on with Apple. I've been having sound issues on my 2017 MBP. I have a lot of the aforementioned issues with sound output from Logic (I use the AxeFx III as my interface). ... but I also have issues with any connected headsets. Today on a call with two different headsets, the sound automatically just reverted to the internal speaker / mic.

Experiencing the same issue here:
1. It's intermittent, sometimes after starting up Axe III, Youtube has sound, even does not play, no sound from iTune o VLC either..
2. A restart of Axe III often resolves the issue.
3. Reconnect the USB also often resolve the issue.
3. In my case, no DAW was even involved.

My Helix or HX Stomp never has this issue. This is on macOS Catalina 10.15.5, 15-inch 2019 Macbook Pro

Mine has been running without issues since the 15th April with no issues...the below sorted my problems.

I was having the exact same issues on my Mac plus many others, I reset the entire Audio preferences and have been only using the FXIII for the last 24 hours and switching between the FXIII and the Mac speakers has been flawless. I am yet to install any other sound device..

I followed these:
https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=USB

Back
Top Bottom