No sound from Mac by USB

Have you tried this ?
In Logic - go to the Main menu, Control Surface Setup and UNCHECK New - Automatic Installation
This polls USB devices continuously to locate external controllers and control surface.

Have you tried this ?
In Logic - go to the Main menu, Control Surface Setup and UNCHECK New - Automatic Installation
This polls USB devices continuously to locate external controllers and control surface.

Thanks for the suggestion but no luck.

I think it's something outside of Logic because it's not only Logic that's affected, and that changing the USB port temporarily fixed it earlier.

Aaaand it's back. Turned on again and no sound from Mac to Axe-FX again.

Even if I switch all input/output to the built-in audio there's no sound; simply having the Axe-FX plugged in and switched on kills the audio in the computer. Happens as soon as I turn on the Axe-FX, before the "initialising" text appears on the screen, sound cuts out, meters in Logic stop showing output, marker in iTunes stops moving.

I've seen this if the audio system has no or a bad clock. Playback on everything just hangs (iTunes, YouTube, Logic, etc.). I get this when my hardware clock is not on, for example (the Mac is clocked externally).

I'd check the clock settings in Audio Midi Setup and on the Axe. I'm guessing somehow you are switching to a device (maybe your aggregate?) that isn't setup for an internal clock.

I've seen this if the audio system has no or a bad clock. Playback on everything just hangs (iTunes, YouTube, Logic, etc.). I get this when my hardware clock is not on, for example (the Mac is clocked externally).

I'd check the clock settings in Audio Midi Setup and on the Axe. I'm guessing somehow you are switching to a device (maybe your aggregate?) that isn't setup for an internal clock.

I do have a suspicion that creating the aggregate device had something to do with this, but I deleted it.

Where would I find clock source settings? Can't see anything in Audio/MIDI Setup.

I do have a suspicion that creating the aggregate device had something to do with this, but I deleted it.

Where would I find clock source settings? Can't see anything in Audio/MIDI Setup.

I'd start on the Axe since that is your interface. Make sure it is set to internal clock. There is something in the Audio Midi app about "drift correction" which applies to the clocks. I have an abbreviated travel setup so I can't repro the clock stoppage I was referring to...

I'd start on the Axe since that is your interface. Make sure it is set to internal clock. There is something in the Audio Midi app about "drift correction" which applies to the clocks. I have an abbreviated travel setup so I can't repro the clock stoppage I was referring to...

Thanks.

The drift correction only appears under aggregate devices so I don't have that option. Also I can't find the clock setting on the Axe-FX.

However... it's working again. Beats me what's going on. I haven't changed any settings, just turned the Axe-FX off and put the computer to sleep over night.

It's probably not wise to go poking around now, but if it stops again I'll have a better look for the clock setting. Fingers crossed I don't need to.

Appreciate all the help @fractalz, @Rain.

Hmm... wonder if it is a wake-from-sleep issue? See if it happens when you wake but not after a reboot.

Had the same issue yesterday - I usually never have a problem. Tried everything initially - adjusting USB output level, different permutations of settings in Logic Pro X, reinstalling firmware...Finally got resolved by switching USB port....LMAO.

I still find the output level when recording through USB is kind of low, even when turning USB output up past 0db. Any ideas? Maybe I'm missing something in the settings. Output level is fine when running through other sources - Matrix Q12a/L6 Powercab, Focusrite Scarlett or Blue Mix Fi headphones.

I have a comparable issue that sometimes when the III is connected to my Mac, iTunes doesn‘t work, very strange. The guitar sound is still there but iTunes just doesn‘t start the tune. When I unplug the USB cable it‘s fine again...

I recently updated my IMac to Mojave. As soon as I did.... Logic stopped giving me sound. At first I thought it was my Interface.... but it wasn’t.

As it turned out.... it was a Mac privacy issue. On the Mac.... I went to:

-System Preferences
-Security & Privacy
-Privacy Tab
-microphone
...... Logic Pro X was not checked Under the microphone tab, so no sound was allowed through. This fixed my issue ASAP!

Attachments

• 05DC136B-9FD9-473A-B53A-87A3C51E264B.jpeg
    05DC136B-9FD9-473A-B53A-87A3C51E264B.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 37
Had the same issue yesterday - I usually never have a problem. Tried everything initially - adjusting USB output level, different permutations of settings in Logic Pro X, reinstalling firmware...Finally got resolved by switching USB port....LMAO.

I still find the output level when recording through USB is kind of low, even when turning USB output up past 0db. Any ideas? Maybe I'm missing something in the settings. Output level is fine when running through other sources - Matrix Q12a/L6 Powercab, Focusrite Scarlett or Blue Mix Fi headphones.

It has happened again to me and simply unplugging and plugging in the USB cable fixed it. So in my case at least it’s not the port but something software related.

I've been working on this. It seems that Mojave and certain models of MacBook Pros are having problems with ALL USB interfaces. This, as we know, includes the Axe III. I tried other interfaces and they are doing the same thing for me. I'll select a drum set in Slate drums to get started on some songwriting and then all sound coming out of the interface stops. I did a full rebuild of my system drive and had some stability for a minute by making sure that the system prefs were using internal speakers/mic and Logic was using the Axe III. But as soon as I switched to Itunes or Safari, or opened a plugin on Logic the sound would stop.

Are all you guys with problems using MacBooks Pros on Mojave? I just want to narrow it down.
I'm about to downgrade to High Sierra and I'll let you know how it goes.

I also tried plugging the AxeFX III directly into the MacBook Pro. I got constant intermittent disconnections like I did when I first got the III. A powered hub was the only thing that solved it. Now the problem (just to reiterate) is that we have what appears to be a solid connection, even with Axe Edit, but no sound making a round trip through the Mac.

I've been working on this. It seems that Mojave and certain models of MacBook Pros are having problems with ALL USB interfaces. This, as we know, includes the Axe III. I tried other interfaces and they are doing the same thing for me. I'll select a drum set in Slate drums to get started on some songwriting and then all sound coming out of the interface stops. I did a full rebuild of my system drive and had some stability for a minute by making sure that the system prefs were using internal speakers/mic and Logic was using the Axe III. But as soon as I switched to Itunes or Safari, or opened a plugin on Logic the sound would stop.

Are all you guys with problems using MacBooks Pros on Mojave? I just want to narrow it down.
I'm about to downgrade to High Sierra and I'll let you know how it goes.

iMac with Mojave here.

Hi, MacBook Pro-Mojave-Axe III 3.01 here.
I noticed that iTunes will stop working if I leave everything runnning and take a break. It seems to happen after the MacBook goes to Sleep.
When I come back if I Unplug The USB and Plug it back in, if works immediately.

Mine did similar things. Now all good. What's your IOS? As apple just updated Mojave.i have also updated my iMac memory as I would stop the loop / sample and it would still continue to play with Logic frozen / crashed.

I just want to use my Axe III as my main interface but I cannot. I get no sound coming back from my DAW or any source on my Mac. I have selected it, checked Audio Midi Setup. Made sure the inputs are up on my USB i/o.

Do I need to set something up on the Axe to just hear my DAW? It was never like this on my IIXL
After you turn on the III, unplug your USB cable from the Mac and then plug back in. IF that doesn't work, try going into your Mac sound settings and advanced. You'll see two speakers that you can click on, change them to OUT 3 and 4 (left and right, respectively). Then click each speaker (generally only your left speaker will make a sound (it will be white noise).

Back
Top Bottom