Do you touch adv parameters in the amp block? Which and what for?

Hhuent

Experienced
Going through the Axe FX 7.02 thread I read a few comments saying something like: FW 7.02 and motor drive leads me more to the point where I do not have to touch adv. amp settings any longer. That brings me back to something I allways wanted to know but was afraid to ask (thanks Woody): What adv. amp settings do you fiddle with to sculpture your sound and what result do you get by this?
Shure enough this is a simple question to a not so simple subject, but maybe there are some rule of thumbs you can reveal here. May I add: I amplaying clean to low/midgain stuff.
For instance things like: You like the worn out tube sound? Turn up the sag parameter to high levels but compression will kick in etc. etc. Or: What to do with tube bias? I know there is cart loads of info on every parameter but after a while you can´t remeber what was what - a few simple tipps are welcome if they exist ;-

Last edited:
I don't touch anything.
I only fiddle with the standard amp controls.

Motor Drive will probably be the only parameter I touch as it was the only parameter I missed from the Axe Fx - I always used it and liked what it did to the tone and feel.

Last edited:
Xfrmr Grind up for dynamic treble and grit, Spkr Drv to 0.37, LF Res, Motor Drive, Out Comp, PI Bias Shift up or down to fine tune the grit, Neg Fdbk and Bias Excursion up or down to further adjust response. I also swap the preamp tube, tonestack and power tube for every patch.

The only advanced parameters I use are sag, dynamic depth, dynamic presence, and now motor drive. Dont need anything more than that.

Thanks fellas and thanks for the links, Rex.

Seems like quite a few amp parameters are not used at all. And - why touch a perfect thing - could it be that the better the development of the FW the less of these options are used? However: I will concentrate on the top three candidates and mess with them, see what happens.

I reduce negative feedback by about 30% on my Friedman BE patches. According to the wiki, this is good for cleaning up the low mids on that amp. I also use the low cut knob in the preamp-tab on some of the amps that has way too much bass by default. Other than that, I don't really touch the advanced parameters much.

Xfrmr Grind up for dynamic treble and grit, Spkr Drv to 0.37, LF Res, Motor Drive, Out Comp, PI Bias Shift up or down to fine tune the grit, Neg Fdbk and Bias Excursion up or down to further adjust response. I also swap the preamp tube, tonestack and power tube for every patch.
Thanks, but dammit, that's a lot - especially swapping the tubes - way too much for my hearing and amp knowledge :)

I have to a large extent given up on advanced parameters. I do one preset per song, so with 40+ presets ~60 sets of amp settings, it is simply not feasible to re dial all the advanced parameters every time there is a modelling update.

I like to adjust speaker drive and motor drive, and I might continue doing that. I would also like to swap tubes and adjust parameters on the speaker page, but I will not be doing that.

Seems like quite a few amp parameters are not used at all.
All of the amp parameters are used—just not by everyone all the time. :)

And - why touch a perfect thing - could it be that the better the development of the FW the less of these options are used?
It's not necessary to use any of the advanced parameters to achieve excellent tone. But, as any good cook will tell you, there's value in having a lot of ingredients in the cupboard, even if you mainly use just a handful.

I have to a large extent given up on advanced parameters. I do one preset per song, so with 40+ presets ~60 sets of amp settings, it is simply not feasible to re dial all the advanced parameters every time there is a modelling update....

This is the dark side of getting that many updates. I wish FAS could find a way to migrate backlevel presets w/o having to redo all amp settings everytime.

True, and I love the updates, but as long as we don't have global blocks (1 is not enough for me), and we don't have a ' amp block Soft reset interface', the advanced parameters are more or less a no-go for me.

I must admit, I don't understand why FAS hasn't yet made an interface , that resets the amp block, but where you can choose which parameters to maintain. I would always maintain all the parameters in the basic page, the speaker page, the speaker drive page and the tube selection. None of the choices, I made in those pages are likely to change due to modelling updates.

Another work-around would be global blocks that really only live in AX8edit. Then I could soft reset and adjust one preset, and then have my changes automatically distributed to all the presets that have the same block.

I don't think these things were really necessary when there was only AxeFX, I think people use fewer presets with the AxeFX (one preset per song is not really needed), and they also have global blocks. But with AX8, it is a different story. The limited amount of CPU and footswitches requires the use of more presets.

A suggestion.. Try using a looper block and headphones when playing with advanced parameters. Much easier to hear what is happening. Also if you read up on the wiki so you know what to listen for it is helpful. I like preamp saturation in the cab block. I know, not an amp parameter!

Are there any settings or certain tendencies you prefer?
I like a little more than the default sag. For dynamic presence and depth they seem to default to 0 for the amps I use (usually high gain like Friedman BE or 5150-3). I set the dynamic presence somewhere around 0.8 - 1.2 and the dynamic depth to around 0.4 or so.

If the basic amp settings don't give me the tone I'm going for I might try a different amp sim before tweaking the advanced amp settings.

Exactly this. I haven't touched a deep parameter in the Axe-Fx amp block...ever. Not on the Ultra, not on the Axe-Fx II, not on the Axe-Fx IIXL+, not on the AX8.

1. The amps sound amazing as is.
2. Use Gain, Bass, Middle, Treble, Presence, Depth, Master.
3. Try a different IR.
4. Try a different amp. There's what? 200+ of them?

If you absolutely have to have that one little tweak that just pushes it over the edge, go for it. I'd much rather play guitar than tweak.

Never use the advanced parameters in the amp block. Only advanced parameters I use at all are the high and low cut in the cab block.

I try not to make rules of thumb. The risk is that you'll miss a "better answer" by not making discoveries through fearless experimentation. After all, there's no risk tweaking, saving to a different location, and comparing to your tried-and-true...

Statistically speaking though, there are a few non-basic parameters I'd say I tend to use more than others.

The Graphic EQ, if you don't already consider that "Basic"
Graphic EQ LOCATION
Input Select (does this even count?)
Output Compression Amount and Clarity
Supply Sag
xFormer Match
The Speaker page when needed
Definition as a quick-fix
Bright Cap
Low Cut Freq
Hi Cut Freq
New Motor Drive