Which advanced parameters do you use in the AMP block and why?

voes

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Just wondering, which advanced parameters do you use in the AMP block and why?

Mostly I don't touch them at all, but if I use them, then these are the ones:

Damp (Power Page) to make the sound tighter

Bright Cap (Tone Page) and Hi Resonance (Speaker Page) to make it less harsch (sometimes needed with single coils)

These days:
LF Resonance (Spkr page), to match my real cabs.
Occasionally Hi Resonance (Spkr page), same reason as you.
That's all.

... to set the new (Firmware 3.04 Update) default values for Triode Hardness and Power Tube Hardness (3.500 and 4.250) for all Factory Preset Banks!!! ;-)

LF Resonance (Spkr page), to match my real cabs.

Alexander... how do you know what the LF resonance of your real cabs are? Did the manufacturer tell you, or did you measure this somehow? I'd love to match my amp sims to the correct lf resonance of my cab, but I have no idea what it is, or how to find out. (sorry for the thread hijacking)

Alexander... how do you know what the LF resonance of your real cabs are? Did the manufacturer tell you, or did you measure this somehow? I'd love to match my amp sims to the correct lf resonance of my cab, but I have no idea what it is, or how to find out. (sorry for the thread hijacking)

No problem!

Background:
Amplifier (FX block): controls and parameters - Axe-Fx II Wiki

It can be measured but you have to have the right tools and know how to use them (I don't).

Luckily there's another way:
Turn up the amp loud, and I do mean: LOUD. Select a preset with sufficient low end. Now keep hitting the low E (while muting the string). Turn the LF Res parameter until you hear a clear thump. You can't miss it, it 's a frequency range where the walls start to shake. That's the resonanant frequency area. It's around 76Hz in my EVM-loaded cabs.
An easier way to do this to record the strumming in the Looper and put it on Play.

Setting (edit: adjusting) LF Res is only useful when using guitar cabs, not FR / studio monitors.

Last edited:
I like the damp knob because it seems pull the sound together more. I also like the depth knob because it adds tight non frompy low end. Sag and master volume and B+ to give me some spoginess when desired. Power tube bias on MK series amps. I turn it down to like .205 like the wiki says.

Other Than those I haven't really had the time to devote to experimenting with the numerous other parameters.

I'm a high gain djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

Triode Hardness to soften up the preamp part of the distortion...
Power Tube Hardness to soften up the power amp part part of the distortion or to add more grunt
Tube Bias to add more kick
Low frequency speaker resonance to reduce the flubby bass
Change to different tone stacks to change the preamp character of the amp i.e. a 65 Bassman with a JTM-45 mod aka Brian Seltzer.

Back
Top Bottom