Advanced parameter suggestions as a starting point?

Alabama man

Inspired
The more I get comfortable with editing my patches, the more I'd like to dive into the deeper editing options. I think the only "advanced" parameters I've messed with at this point are the Dynamic Depth and Dynamic Presence. I'm not really sure where to go after that.

Do any of you have your favorite go to "advanced" parameters that may not be obvious to someone mainly living in the basic amp block tab? If you could explain in layman's terms what the parameter actually does, that would be much appreciated.

Question is mainly meant for the amp block, but if you have some insights for cabs and pedals, please drop a line!

Also, just fyi - I'm planning on using my axe II XL with a matrix gt1000 - just need to get a new speaker set for my 2x12 cab. For now, just using my blue mofi headphones.

Last edited:
Yeah the tech notes section is your best friend for this. The only ones I really touch are pick attack (I bump it up) and low freq res in the speaker tab. Sometimes I'll switch from ac to dc if I want a snarlier character too

The real question is what are you trying to achieve? The advance section can make you drown in a number of different rabbit holes. To many guys mess with them just because they are there then they spend all their time tweaking and complaining about spending to much time tweaking. They can do things like change how notes bloom to almost making a custom amp by switching tone stacks ect ect ect. I can count on one hand how many time I have tweaked the advanced stuff and that is because I am happy with what I hear without it. IMO the advanced section should be treated as tools to get the tones you are getting from an amp sim closer to what is on your head when just touching BMT is not cutting it for you. So unless you are not hearing what you want to hear I prob wouldn't dive in there.

JMD (I think that is his screen name) has an amazing amp reference guide in the wiki talking about all those advanced parameters. IMO everyone should have a copy.

My favorites are:

- xfrmer match - I usually lower this to between 0.7 and 0.850
- preamp dynamics - I crank this up to around 7ish
- spkr page low res frequency - I change if I know an exact value from the IR maker. e.g. cabIR.eu publishes the number to use here for their IR's.
- power amp hardness - up or down to taste
- negative fdbk - control the tightness of the low end and affect the distortion of the low end.

IMO the advanced section should be treated as tools to get the tones you are getting from an amp sim closer to what is on your head when just touching BMT is not cutting it for you. So unless you are not hearing what you want to hear I prob wouldn't dive in there.

I would definitely say this is the case. I'm very happy with sounds I'm getting, but I'm not getting the "sound" I hear in my head. The basic parameters get me 85% of the way there, but there are these nuances that I'm having a hard time getting with them. I started fiddling with knobs, having no idea what they do. I hear something changing, sometimes for the better, but I feel like I'm shooting in the dark.

Last edited:
My favorites are:

- xfrmer match - I usually lower this to between 0.7 and 0.850
- preamp dynamics - I crank this up to around 7ish
- spkr page low res frequency - I change if I know an exact value from the IR maker. e.g. cabIR.eu publishes the number to use here for their IR's.
- power amp hardness - up or down to taste
- negative fdbk - control the tightness of the low end and affect the distortion of the low end.

Thanks!

After a while you notice that there are some advanced parameters that you always touch and you always come to the same values. Your own default settings allow to reach the sound in your head much faster and you can tell faster if an amp is ok for you or not.

Xformer match is a powerful one, also the character controls can make the amp into something totally different. Try weird setting with that.

Back
Top Bottom