AX8 Factory Presets Update 6p02

So I updated to the latest factory updates and lost all my user presets. Luckily I had just backed them up before updating to the latest firmware.

How do you update the factory presets and keep all your own presets?

I'm uploading the new presets with FractalBot and I don't get an option to choose which presets.

I browse for the file and select it (AX8-Factory-Preset-Banks-6p02.syx), I hit "Begin" and it warns me "You have selected an AX8 'All Preset Banks' file. If you continue you will permanently overwrite 512 presets in your AX8"

So I ended up only backing up my user preset banks, restoring to the latest factory presets then restoring my backup up preset banks. Meh...

I keep reading people's concerns and mine are similar but different I guess. (don't quite fully understand the firmware upgrading process still!) .. . .OK , I have all my programs I've written in banks 18-23 so far. I'm only on 4.xx firmware .. To update to the 6.xx. can I backup , and then do a full update, or do I have to choose NOT to overwrite banks 18-23 somehow? ) I want the new firmware on them, ,but I don't want "BLANK presets' overwriting mine. .. .Does my question make sense?

Thanks SO much for help. Eric

I keep reading people's concerns and mine are similar but different I guess. (don't quite fully understand the firmware upgrading process still!) .. . .OK , I have all my programs I've written in banks 18-23 so far. I'm only on 4.xx firmware .. To update to the 6.xx. can I backup , and then do a full update, or do I have to choose NOT to overwrite banks 18-23 somehow? ) I want the new firmware on them, ,but I don't want "BLANK presets' overwriting mine. .. .Does my question make sense?

Thanks SO much for help. Eric
Updating the firmware doesn't erase your presets. But presets made with newer firmware often can't be read by older firmware, so rolling your firmware backwards can make you newer presets seem to disappear.

Updating the firmware doesn't erase your presets. But presets made with newer firmware often can't be read by older firmware, so rolling your firmware backwards can make you newer presets seem to disappear.

Aah ,VERY good point. . I never thought of that.. So since I didn't put all of my programs I've written in banks 1-16 I just do a normal update, and my banks will be updated. To the people who actually put their OWN PROGRAMS in banks 1/16 , they have extra steps it sounds like IF they're not only updating firmware but updating the factory presets! Eric

Yes and no.

You're installing newer firmware. That won't make ń presets go away. Not factory presets, and not your presets.

But if you make a new preset, and then install older firmware, the older firmware might not recognize your new preset.

Yes and no.

You're installing newer firmware. That won't make ń presets go away. Not factory presets, and not your presets.

But if you make a new preset, and then install older firmware, the older firmware might not recognize your new preset.

I do understand that, but FAS has said they've now updated all the original presets. . SO if someone reinstalls all of them in their original banks but wrote their own programs that reside in those banks, they need to pick and choose what they reinstall , or they overwrite theirs. . If Fractal didn't actually re-write, re-program any presets, there's no reason to install re-install presets, as they'll just get updated automatically with the fw upgrade! (I think. lol) Eric

Sort of. Fractal did release new factory presets. You can load those presets wherever you want, but if you load them over your own presets, then yes, your own presets will be replaced by the new factory presets.

But loading new firmware won't automatically load the new factory presets. If you want to load the new factory presets, you have to...load the new factory presets. :)

So, for everyone that doesn't want to erase your presets, I made this ZIP file with each preset separated.
I hope that is useful for someone :D

If you open AX8edit->AxeManage Presets->Open bank and then choose the bank with the new presets, you can also choose the individual presets and where to put them.

Even though I've owned an Axe since 2008, I have no idea how to load the new factory presets as a whole bank, other than opening up the sysex file and then saving each preset one at a time. is there a way to import all the Bank 1 presets and save them all at once?

Back
Top Bottom