Firmware 13 BETA Feedback?

IIRC, the conversion is only possible if the IR's are captured with a big enough time window. If the FAS IR's were acquired by the AXeFx built-in IR capture, before UltraRes firmware, then I think the IR's are windowed too short.

This of course could be all wrong :)

He's obviously got IR that will come with the firmware.

He's obviously got IR that will come with the firmware.

Yeah I expect some new content that shows off the UltraRes for sure :)

I would suspect the UltraRes content to be new; the current Factory Mix IR's I would not expect to be in UltraRes format. But like I said, I am a speculator :)

Are you the owner of a very expensive studio with access to many of the actual cabs and mics available to you that you can A/B against all those IRs, oh and are you an expert at mic placement to boot?

You do realize that a lot of forum members are professional audio engineers, don't you? Kind of a big part of the target demographic.

Ultrarez or no, I am very happy with 12.4 beta. Enough to warrant re-tracking the guitars on the album I am doing :)

You do realize that a lot of forum members are professional audio engineers, don't you? Kind of a big part of the target demographic.

Ultrarez or no, I am very happy with 12.4 beta. Enough to warrant re-tracking the guitars on the album I am doing :)

If that guy is in that position and actually has the rare experience needed to make a blanket statement like "all IRs are inferior to actual mic'd cabs" then I'll apologize, sure.

Personally though, I've heard several combinations of IRs that sound at least as good as real mic'd cabs, and quite a few "all digital" tones that sound not just as good as but better than pure analog ones, so I don't agree with the guy and thus find it hard to believe a sweeping statement like that.

Last edited:
I think logic would tell you that it is near impossible to make an exact digital representation of pretty much anything in the real world, especially when you have not only the pure analog electrical properties of all the amps, mics, speakers, cables, mic pres, power amps etc. but also the physical & mechanical properties of speakers, cabinets & the room environment. It is getting closer & closer & I am confident Cliff would not be doing ultrarez if it din't bring things closer still but I'm not holding my breath of exactly the same. I just don't think it is possible IMHO.

In my experience, almost everyone is still tracking with conventional guitar rigs and mic'ed cabs. Lot's of knowledge out there and people that know their stuff and have good ears for it.

But I do think the days of conventional rigs are numbered :) I predict a fast change to digital once the technology reaches a certain threshold. It's been dayum fun so far :)

I think logic would tell you that it is near impossible to make an exact digital representation of pretty much anything in the real world, especially when you have not only the pure analog electrical properties of all the amps, mics, speakers, cables, mic pres, power amps etc. but also the physical & mechanical properties of speakers, cabinets & the room environment. It is getting closer & closer & I am confident Cliff would not be doing ultrarez if it din't bring things closer still but I'm not holding my breath of exactly the same. I just don't think it is possible IMHO.

I agree that we aren't "there" 100% yet.

But I don't think a 100% replica is necessary either. Just a facsimile that cannot be distinguished from the real thing by humans. Because of human hearing / perception, a 100% copy is not required.

Just like in the photography, broadcast and film industry, digital instruments and modelers and such will become more and more the norm... just a matter of time :)

I agree that we aren't "there" 100% yet.

But I don't think a 100% replica is necessary either. Just a facsimile that cannot be distinguished from the real thing by humans. Because of human hearing / perception, a 100% copy is not required.

Just like in the photography, broadcast and film industry, digital instruments and modelers and such will become more and more the norm... just a matter of time :)

I hope it does get to the point where it is imperceptible. I'm not holding my breath. A photograph of a flower is just a way to see how that flower looked at that moment in time (including all the digital artifacts that were introduced no matter how good the camera is). It doesn't function as a flower & no bees will try to pollenate it. I'm not anti-digital at all, just a realist who hopes Cliff proves me wrong LOL!

As someone who recruits the hottest software engineers to the hottest companies for a living, people VASTLY underestimate what's possible. Yes, it's VERY possible.

As someone who recruits the hottest software engineers to the hottest companies for a living, people VASTLY underestimate what's possible. Yes, it's VERY possible.

I hope you are right but the same weird low end rubbery muck I heard when I saw the prototype Axe II at Tone Merchants way back when is still there. It's not as bad but it is still there. It almost made me not buy the Axe. I just hope it "gets there" in my lifetime. Maybe Ultra rez is what will do it for me. I had my CLRs away for a while getting the neo upgrade & was playing through regular cabs for a while. The first thing I heard when I plugged the CLRs in was that rubbery low end. It was pretty much night & day.

I don't claim to have superhuman ears, but I've been playing for a good long while now and can spot great/good/avg/poor tone when I hear it.

I have failed every blind test I've tried with the AFX2, which is why I gravitated towards it in the first place. Sure, there are subtle differences between it and the real deal, just like there will be subtle differences between two of the same model amp. I don't care if it's not 100%, personally, so long as it's good enough to fool me... but I'm still anxious to hear the new UR IR's :D

I've always been able to spot a "Brand K," btw.

...NDA. Non-disclosure. Should have known. I figured it was some high tech accro.

Oh hey if people are interested, I got a hold of Kevin from OwnHammer. The V2 and the Mix series IRs are around 100 ms, so though we won't get to see the full benefits of using Ultrares IRs, we will still get to use 'em. Stoked!

Oh hey if people are interested, I got a hold of Kevin from OwnHammer. The V2 and the Mix series IRs are around 100 ms, so though we won't get to see the full benefits of using Ultrares IRs, we will still get to use 'em. Stoked!
the newly added 1x12 and 2x12 are far longer and can take full advantage as far as I can tell right now. the 4x12 roughly half. not sure if he's still got the 4x12 in longer, untruncated form flying around.

He's got the wav files, but they were recorded at 100 ms. He would have to shoot them again in order to ultra-res them. At least that is how I understand it.

Hey guys; quick FYI:

I capture a 4 s (4000 ms) tail when I shoot these and bounce them down with a 2 s (2000 ms) tail. Cutting them shorter is just a matter of changing some text in the batch scripts. I don't have the original audio or session files for the V1 libraries so those are gonna be stuck at 125 ms, but I do have the raws for V2 and MIX and will make them longer when I can. Likely I won't get to the Nebula parts for a while because redoing that for all the V2 and MIX files might well take me a month, the .wav and derivative files aren't quite as bad but still not a snap of the fingers for various reasons. Right now I'm trying to get back on the horse and bang out some speakers for the 1x12 and 2x12 after a short hiatus due to personal issues, but I'll be on this in a timely manner when appropriate.

Very excited for 2x12, 1x12 and 4x12 OwnHammer UltraRez IRs!!!!! As if 12.04 doesn't already sound amazing right? Life in Axe-FX land is good!

Very excited for 2x12, 1x12 and 4x12 OwnHammer UltraRez IRs!!!!! As if 12.04 doesn't already sound amazing right? Life in Axe-FX land is good!

As am I but don't forget, Fractal's mix IRs are also absolutely awesome. Probably substantially more awesome with Ultra-Res

Reactions: sam
Back
Top Bottom