Why is the guitar the coolest instrument ever?

I think one reason it's the coolest or had a run as the coolest is the way that it lends itself to being electrified. Instruments with more sound or character aren't as good with all the effects and amps you can throw on them (not that I can't think of cool instances of electrified cello or violin or), but the fact that a guitar has a fairly plain character lends it to being modified a million ways over.

Also the fact that it's a great instrument both for playing basic campfire or songwriter guitar and all manner of single note lead stuff. And it's portability and size lends itself to being played by lots of people in a gazillion styles of music.

Interestingly, guitar never got me any women either at gigs, though it probably didn't hurt in a few social situations in college. The one woman I met playing is my partner of 20 years and she was playing, too, at a jam, so I'm not sure who was wowing who in that situation. Probably both of us.

The guitar is the coolest instrument because its cheaper than collecting cars.

The thing that sold me, that I found so cool was when I saw metal church open for metallica in 1986. Kurdt vanderhoof was playing this black les paul below his knees and it was just so heavy. The whole scene was epic and I went out and bought a mansfield les paul copy for $150 and I just melted in my room.

Haha! Take that, school jocks! :)

And yes, growing my hair out and playing a guitar got me far more attention in school from the ladies than when I just had a bag full of Dungeons and Dragons books. +3 to all charisma checks, right there.

So what you're saying is you used a performance check to shift their attitude one step in a favorable direction? Never underestimate a bard in nice clothes.

We're creating an infographic titled "Why the guitar is the coolest instrument ever!" and I'd love your input. It could be anything - serious, whacky, funny, ridiculous - anything.

So, why do YOU think the guitar is the coolest instrument ever?

What do I think? It's the coolest because it's the only instrument where faking it is an international competition! Air Guitar World Championships Kidding of course (but half serious ;-) )...

just because

Because even 3YO girls find it irresistible!

Paola-with-55_zpsa0d96dbc.jpg

You should send this photo to Gibson !!!

Expressivity - 6 voices+ (strings) at your command in a single strum, and a multitude of ways to manipulate them organically. I know of no other instrument like that.

Expressivity - 6 voices+ (strings) at your command in a single strum, and a multitude of ways to manipulate them organically. I know of no other instrument like that.

Dulcimer
Banjo
Tenor Viola
Bass
Guitalele

All have (or can have) 6 strings and are strumable. So there, now you know of 5 more ;)

This picture is the stuff horror movies are made of. A cute little kid with engaging eyes, smiling innocently as she grinds your beloved Les Paul against a rough tile floor. :)

hahahaha, well, she is helping with the relic job!

Reactions: Rex
This picture is the stuff horror movies are made of. A cute little kid with engaging eyes, smiling innocently as she grinds your beloved Les Paul against a rough tile floor. :)

Ha Ha! My first guitar I bought in '66--a Guild acoustic has teething marks on it from my daughter--now 43 years.

Back
Top Bottom