Axe-Edit Developer's Diary, Jun 13 2013

I do like Cliff's comments on this thread, but I don't like the thread and the reason behind it. I feel like I am treated like a litlle kid reading the OP. I don' t understand the ridiculous positve reply's eather. We are grown up people with I asume responsible jobs with big responsibilities in the real world. We all get better from positive but honest feedback. The fact is that there is not a working editor since how long? The work done on Axe Edit maybe fabulous to some of you but so far we are operating the most advanced effects processor in the world from a very little screen.....let's face it. I would like an update with a time plan and facts like in the real world.

Damned if you do - damned if you dont.........

If you dont give updates people are pissed off. If you try to inform, some others are pissed off because you dont give the info THEY expect........

Fractals! Keep up the good work......!

AAEN

Ps: i could also need the new editor........But I am not bitchin about it.

.....let's face it. I would like an update with a time plan and facts like in the real world.
I'm not sure which "real world" you live in, but in the REAL software development world - especially that of music related items - no-one I have EVER worked with (in over 20 yrs) has publicly announced dates until the product is ready to be released... for example... - at NAMM!

To be sure I've heard of many vapor-ware dates.. or we're working on it... There were 2 firmware updates I was specifically promised updates on - with specified times - by a vendor 6 yrs ago. I have yet to see either. They "re-prioritized" their development money to focus on other products, to heck with the customer.

That Fractal is even posting about status.. is rare. Relax. Enjoy.. it will get here..

We are grown up people with I asume responsible jobs with big responsibilities in the real world.
This post indicates a very clear lack of understanding of the "real world" and "big responsibilities".

I would like an update with a time plan and facts like in the real world.

And yet you are neither owed nor are you entitled to either of these things. Precisely because it's the real world. The real world where privately held companies are beholden to no one but their owners. Where plans of privately held companies can be as opaque or as transparent as they want them to be.

As an owner of a product produced by a company in the real world, you are no more entitled to the things you demand here than a tree, or a rock, or some gum on someone's shoe.

That's the real world.

Fractal is far more upfront with their customer base than most companies. There's a lot of information in the threads about Axe-Edit development about the trails and tribulations of being The Boss and having Big Responsibilities and having to make Hard Decisions about staffing if you'd care to read through them. Far more than anyone outside the company is entitled to. And yet: they shared it.

To what end? Posts like yours. Do think you're helping or hurting future considerations of private company plans posting like this?

Fact: It's being worked on.
Time plan: After 10.08 PM Pacific Time 6/28/2013

That was easy! :eagerness:

Most of the real world is made up of semi-major musicians and financial interests, the real art that never sync with this clock.

Some of the shit in this thread is the exact reason why I don't work in software development anymore. I deal with customers even more than ever in my current gig but what they ask me for is generally more achievable than most of the asks made of my software development teams.

This post indicates a very clear lack of understanding of the "real world" and "big responsibilities".

And yet you are neither owed nor are you entitled to either of these things. Precisely because it's the real world. The real world where privately held companies are beholden to no one but their owners. Where plans of privately held companies can be as opaque or as transparent as they want them to be.

As an owner of a product produced by a company in the real world, you are no more entitled to the things you demand here than a tree, or a rock, or some gum on someone's shoe.

That's the real world.

Fractal is far more upfront with their customer base than most companies. There's a lot of information in the threads about Axe-Edit development about the trails and tribulations of being The Boss and having Big Responsibilities and having to make Hard Decisions about staffing if you'd care to read through them. Far more than anyone outside the company is entitled to. And yet: they shared it.

To what end? Posts like yours. Do think you're helping or hurting future considerations of private company plans posting like this?

Tsjeess, I did not demand anything. If you feel so, something is wrong. Private?

I do like Cliff's comments on this thread, but I don't like the thread and the reason behind it. I feel like I am treated like a litlle kid reading the OP. I don' t understand the ridiculous positve reply's eather. We are grown up people with I asume responsible jobs with big responsibilities in the real world. We all get better from positive but honest feedback. The fact is that there is not a working editor since how long? The work done on Axe Edit maybe fabulous to some of you but so far we are operating the most advanced effects processor in the world from a very little screen.....let's face it. I would like an update with a time plan and facts like in the real world.

The original post is that way probably because there is a lot of Whiney Beotches on the site.
Waaaah I want a AxeEdit...
Waaaah AxeEdit Beta is buggy...
Waaaah I was too lazy to do a backup, but it's AxeEdits fault I can't recover my preset I love...
So everything needs to be handled with kid gloves so thoust with diapers are not offended.

FWIW, I know we've taken a lot of heat over Axe-Edit and rightly so. Ultimately I'm the one to blame (as in "the buck stops here"). I suppose the one thing I am most guilty of is giving people too much benefit of a doubt. Ultimately, though, I had to make some difficult decisions and that involved doing something no manager enjoys. In retrospect I should've made that decision far earlier.

Cliff you're also to blame for making the AXE-FX such a great product, and I also think you vastly contributed to giving the digital modeling its renewed credibility at a time (2007 or 2008) where it was considered more as a cheap "toy". So all in all it's not that bad.8) Sounds like you have focused on the right features which is ... SOUND/TONE/DISTORTION/... .

I can't give a hard date yet but I wouldn't be surprised if it was early July or even sooner.
Great news.

I believe you will all greatly enjoy the new editor. It finally implements my vision of an "RPC editor" (as in Remote Procedure Call) where the Axe-Fx does all the work and the editor is mainly a remote terminal. This ensures that presets cannot be corrupted and should lead to vastly greater stability.
Cool this should make your lives a little SUNier.

FWIW, I know we've taken a lot of heat over Axe-Edit and rightly so. Ultimately I'm the one to blame (as in "the buck stops here"). I suppose the one thing I am most guilty of is giving people too much benefit of a doubt. Ultimately, though, I had to make some difficult decisions and that involved doing something no manager enjoys. In retrospect I should've made that decision far earlier.

The good news is the new software team is fantastic. I check in with them every morning and they are making great progress on Axe-Edit and the associated programs. ..... I can't give a hard date yet but I wouldn't be surprised if it was early July or even sooner.

Well Cliff, I think everyone can respect your honesty and candor on the matter. The important thing is that the hard decisions were made and executed, and we are now headed toward (what everyone hopes will be) a very functional and stable tool.

I'm lucky in that my Axe just arrived this weekend, so I haven't had any use for Axe Edit until now, but I am definitely looking forward to the end product. I'll add my voice to the chorus asking for a tablet version as a future goal. To be able to communicate with the Axe over USB through my iPad's camera connection kit or a MIDI interface would be super cool and useful.

It finally implements my vision of an "RPC editor" (as in Remote Procedure Call) where the Axe-Fx does all the work and the editor is mainly a remote terminal. This ensures that presets cannot be corrupted and should lead to vastly greater stability.

Clever idea! :encouragement:

;)

The INTERFACE is more modern and good, but guys, don't be wrong, the main function of the programmers is that everything works well when you change anything in the interface, not only the interface hahahaha Yes, I am from the guild u.u

Back
Top Bottom