If you could only choose 1...

It would be a sad day indeed when I had to live with just one amp but I suppose it would have to be the Brit Pre.

I keep changing all the time. Plexi 100, Cameron Atomica High or Brit Super at the moment.!

this ^ exactly, the Brit Super is a lot more versatile than you'd think, if can cover a wide range of Marshall tones.
With the TV cab IR it's currently my fave (also loving the TriAxis Yellow) and the Recto Modern red :) )
also the JVM orange OD1 has been one of my Go to's since it became available.

Have your favorite amps changed due to firmware 10 sounding different than previous firmwares?

Matt - IMHO, and in my case, yes. More than ever. I cannot stop trying 'new to me' amps I've never used or tried and it is fun to just work with them in the Axe-FX. It is like going into a candy store now; I just do some research (wiki, google, youtube, etc) and then try stuff out to see if it works. So much goodness in so many different flavors now.

In the past, I relied chiefly on what I *knew* because that had always just been how I did it. Now with v.10... I'm exploring more.

Matt - IMHO, and in my case, yes. More than ever.

Scott, good to hear I'm not alone in these experiences. Many of my go-to amps in previous firmware aren't doing it for me anymore. I have emulation patches that used to nail certain tones, but since 10, I'm finding the amps have changed so drastically that there are better matches now with different amps than before.

I'm hoping that firmware 10 ends this vicious circle retaining the character and sound of the amps in future firmware.

Last edited:
I bought this box so that I don't have to pick just one. I'm spending a lot of time lately with the Deluxe Reverb, with and without the Eternal Love drive. Great sounding amp.

I fell in love with the Supro (Supremo Trem) in V9 and it's still my favourite with V10. I pair it up with a 15" speaker. It's sweet yet cutting, with a ton of harmonic content. It hits the mildly overdriven space really well and responds nicely to an overdrive pedal.

For cleans I'm using the Twin with an overdrive pedal for leads. I could never get this amp to sound good with my 513 before V10.

I've been playing with the Bogner Blue lately for gainer tones.

Terry.

I keep changing all the time. Plexi 100, Cameron Atomica High or Brit Super at the moment. I can't stop going to them live. The Bandmaster for clean stuff. I've never even used a Bandmaster in my life, but that tone is killer. Same with the Nuclear Tone (aka Swart). Such a musical amp! Arrrggg!!! Too many choices!

Yea....what Scott said...Have you guys given time to the Bandmaster? Never played one either, but it is now Patch #1 replacing my Twin and my Super Rev. patch. The AC-30 Patch is starting to move to Patch #2 position. And the Swart is rounding at my top 3.

I STILL haven't gotten anything I love out of the Matchless, which is surprising because I thought I would love it...so that is my Least Valuable Amp (LVA)...which is also an interesting category. And I see everyone loves the BE and HBE, but I just never have bonded with those tones either....I guess I cant dial them in.

I'll be the oddball in the responses. Starting playing around with Spawn Nitrous and just something about it keeps bringing me back to it over the rectos had been using in the past. My tops for now, just wish had time to explore more!

The Friedman HB was my go to for the longest time but after V10 it changed to much seems a bit stiff and brash so I no longer favor that one. The Atomica high and low are nice and the AC 30's I also use a lot so if I had to use just one it would be one of those at the moment.

For strat/LP: For the moment, HiPower Brilliant (master volume on 10, input trim up a bit and im good to go!!!)

Back
Top Bottom