Atomic CLR Users...

brianv4

Fractal Fanatic
i've been using a QSC K12 ever since I got my Axe2 and am pretty happy with it but I am on the wait list for an active CLR. Those of you you have the CLR's I'd like to know your impressions, especially if you're familiar with using the K12 too.

I owned the K12. The sound quality of the CLR is much, much better, really.
The CLR shares the dual input feature with the K12.

I had a K12 and AB'ed it with an Atomic FR a few years ago. The Atomic sounded much better. I recently got a CLR and I agree with YEK that the CLR sounds really, really good.

Thanks guys. i'm intrigued by the coaxial design feature. I use Equator coaxial studio monitors that sound great. accurate, articulate and a very smooth high freq response. I feel the K12's are nice until you push 'em loud then they kinda get a little...well, not really harsh but the highs don't seem as sweet or smooth. Plus the off axis response is a little lacking. I guess I'm hoping the CLR would give me similar on stage tone results as my Equators and widen the sweet spot.

I just got the CLR Cab and I also have a K10, The CLR cab is definitely a much better sound option. Of course sound is subjective depending how old you are, but with the CLR cab, I was able to adjust my patches in a more realistic way. meaning that the K10 hid some of the overdrive nuances that the CLR Cab picked up on. I lowered the drive in a couple presets and was able to control an overdrive more precisely. It must be how the sound is hitting you, that it seems more defined. I switched to the Cab version, because Ver 10, took away the polishedness of the amps and made them more Raw in your face. The CLR Cab compliments it perfectly.

I have said this before, buy what you can afford, so if you can afford a CLR wedge/Cab you will not be disappointed. Did I tell you that, my wife was out of town and I had it so loud, I was surprised the neighbors didn't complain, because I had my door open. I think I'm just the wacky guitar player down the street to them.

It is my personal experience based on actual use of the K12 and the CLR and IMHO the CLR is a clear winner in that comparison.

Something else I noticed with the CLR cab, when you want controlled feedback, it does it effortlessly. Is just something I noticed right away when I got it. I never really got that with the K10 as easily. There are more differences, I'll leave that for someone else to share...

I've been playing around with my two CLR active cabs for a week now and I am still amazed. My tone is so beautiful, it's something I can't enough of. Together with FW10, just wow!

Thanks for posting this Brian cuz I've been thinking about getting on that list myself now that I'm an Axe owner...not to hijack your thread but for those of you who may have both the wedge AND cab, can you tell us if you're having any preference between the two?

I'm curious to the above question as well. Thinking about getting one of each. Cab in back all time, wedge in front if needed or on it's side in the back with cab.

I have the active wedge for a couple of weeks. compared to my beloved Adam-A7 they sound not so 'sofisticated', more raw, which is a good thing. less higher freq then the Adam A7

Sounded wonderfull on rehearsel. beautifull sound which is all around in a wide range, you don't need to stand in one sweet spot.

Of course sound is subjective depending how old you are...
...I switched to the Cab version, because Ver 10, took away the polishedness of the amps and made them more Raw in your face. The CLR Cab compliments it perfectly.

I have said this before, buy what you can afford, so if you can afford a CLR wedge/Cab you will not be disappointed

What's up with the age related wise crack?:roll just kidding with you. I was concerned the cab version has a lot of dispersion directed towards the floor, not an issue or do you place it higher?

Are you CLR users using the wedge or cab and why? (i'm probably going for the wedge as I could always stand it on it's side like a cab if needed.

It's not an issue of affording one but rather, would I be happier with one. Already mostly satisfied with the K12 but you know how tone chasing goes! The consensus here of users I'm going for it. I appreciate everyone's insights, thanks!

Thanks for posting this Brian cuz I've been thinking about getting on that list myself now that I'm an Axe owner...not to hijack your thread but for those of you who may have both the wedge AND cab, can you tell us if you're having any preference between the two?

no worries, i had the same question! I'm on the list. Was told 6-8 weeks, it's been 7...oh boy!

I have two CLR "cab version" and have to say they are amazing.
- Not very directional, they sound the same standing anywhere.
- Zero coloring of sound and never a urge to adjust an eq. Perfectly flat but not flat sounding.
- Impressive cleans all the way to heavy drop tuning high gain.

Last edited:
Hope I am not too off topic. I'm wondering how many CLR wedge buyers bought 2 and how you run them? I use my looper A LOT, more that 50% of a show with a 3 piece band. I usually do the loop first , either a hook or bridge, then insert it, to do leads over.Then I have the loop panned hard right, while my live playing is 60/70% on the left,at home on my Mackie 824's, it works great.. I am hoping to reproduce that live with the CLR's :geek

Hope I am not too off topic. I'm wondering how many CLR wedge buyers bought 2 and how you run them? I use my looper A LOT, more that 50% of a show with a 3 piece band. I usually do the loop first , either a hook or bridge, then insert it, to do leads over.Then I have the loop panned hard right, while my live playing is 60/70% on the left,at home on my Mackie 824's, it works great.. I am hoping to reproduce that live with the CLR's :geek

I have two but don't run the looper for gigs.

I run mostly conventional L/R, i.e. L out to one speaker, R out to the other. But I have both of them next to each other not spread out on stage.

I've messed with W/D with one exclusively for the dry AMP -> CAB and the other exclusively for the time / modulation efx. That sounds great too but I haven't gigged like that yet.

I have 2 wedges I use as a backline. I loop with an RC-300 and the CLR's sound awesome. The stereo separation and clarity with these is amazing. You will be able to hear the left and right guitar parts no matter where you stand. Makes doing leads over the other parts much easier. I really love the confused looks at the gig, 3 piece band, where the hell are all those guitar parts coming from....

I have 3 CLR's here to test, and can say without a shadow of a doubt that the CLR's are an order of magnitude better than the K12's - IMHO of course.

I run them either:
1) two as a stereo set
2) wet-dry-wet rig
3) two used for a mini PA and one for personal monitor

I used to run 2 QSCs and never liked what they delivered. Too much HiFi sound and not sounding like a guitar cab at all.

I have k12s and two Clr active wedges. The k12s are nice for my small pa but don't compare to the clr's for the AxeII. Only advantage that the k12s have is more bass that I think is below useful guitar frequencies. IMO

Back
Top Bottom