one thing i really dislike is...

S

Soultrash

..the missing "INPUT" knob!

setting up the correct level digitally through the I/O option is real PITA, especially when using different instruments :/

Yeah ..., I have to agree .... I just picked up a new guitar w/a Tyler Studio Elite set-up including the Mid-Boost .... The Bridge Pickup is the High-Output Super, and even with the Mid-Boost engaged, I can't seem to get the red lights to even tickle at all ?!? Makes me wonder if I'm doing it right ? With the knob you got immediate feedback ...,

Yeah ..., I have to agree .... I just picked up a new guitar w/a Tyler Studio Elite set-up including the Mid-Boost .... The Bridge Pickup is the High-Output Super, and even with the Mid-Boost engaged, I can't seem to get the red lights to even tickle at all ?!? Makes me wonder if I'm doing it right ? With the knob you got immediate feedback ...,

exactly!

I just setup for my hottest guitar unless I am recording.

with my active EMG81 i get the "red lights tickeling" exactly at 100%, that seems kinda wrong. the guitar/battery is ok.
maybe the title is not clear enough, honestly i'm a bit confused right now (see scott's post reply)

Really?
Now you have to press ONE button before actually setting the value.

not what i am talking about, with the real pot there was always an immediate feedback, set a value and it remains. the digital pot seems to reset, when loading different patches.

Set it for your hottest guitar and forget it.

It has NOTHING to do with input level. It sets the A/D levels. Signal path and amp gain are not effected in any way. You can set input trim on your specific presets in the amp block.

ok, that's where the confusion starts...please correct me if i am wrong.

AXE STANDARD> two input knobs, first one for the instrument in, second one for the rear in's (the second one afected both rear ins simultaneously)

AXE II> three digital "pots", first one for the instrument in (INSTR IN), the other two for the left and right rear input, is that right so far!?

personally i only use the front input, so that makes the INSTR IN relevant for me. setting this one to 0-100% has a huge
influence to the sound but the only decent setting seems to be 100%, as i can tickle the red LED's at this setting only and that's trange
IMHO as i use an active EMG81 most of the time...

never had this "problem?" with the tandard ands the real input knob.

cheers
S.

It has NOTHING to do with input level. It sets the A/D levels. Signal path and amp gain are not effected in any way. You can set input trim on your specific presets in the amp block.

Thanks Scott! I've never noticed a difference when switching guitars but I never knew it only set the A/D levels!

idea...
well a possible idea....

how about using an external vol pedal..
one that has a vol pot that allows setting min / max levels

set the input level in the Axe to your quietest guitar with the pedal toe down
jack in the hottest guitar, set the pedal heel down and adjust the trim pot on the pedal to deliver the right level to the Axe

so..
toe down = your quietest guitar
heel down = your hottest guitar
and maybe half cock it for the guys in between

This "I have to set PERFECT Input Levels" thing is totally overrated, IMO! In the analog world you spent attention to that, because of bad signal to noise ratio! In the digital world it`s more a "do i get the most possible dynamic range" question. But we live in 24bit land! And your unit has one of the best and noiseless A/D Converters money can buy! For me it does make exactly NO difference, if i tickle the red or go comfortable at the end of green/yellow ....

The self producing noise floor from the amp block is x-times higher, than the (theoretical) SNR from your AD converter! And 24bit give you 144db dynamic range - far behind, what the analog section provide .... think about it! ;)

Scott is right: Set Input Gain to your hottest pickup in your guitar arsenal and forget it!

It has NOTHING to do with input level. It sets the A/D levels. Signal path and amp gain are not effected in any way. You can set input trim on your specific presets in the amp block
AMEN!!!
This has to be the most common mistake by II users Ive seen so far.
Constant incorrect info being posted about this to the point of I wont even say anything any longer.
Sticky Scotts comment.

I leave the A/D gain knobs pinned at full. Each of my guitars has vastly different output levels and tonal characteristics. In order to get the correct input gain on a given preset I will put a VOL block first in the chain. I suppose you could use a PEQ flat with just the amount of gain you want. I can enter in the value I need for any given guitar. Live would be trickier obviously but hey, that's what "SCENES" are for right?

I use the instrument in jack, A/D gain set at 50% and use a tube preamp to adjust input level for each of my guitars.

personally i only use the front input, so that makes the INSTR IN relevant for me. setting this one to 0-100% has a huge
influence to the sound but the only decent setting seems to be 100%, as i can tickle the red LED's at this setting only and that's trange
IMHO as i use an active EMG81 most of the time...

It should have no influence on the sound at all, unless you go into limiting territory or set it WAY too low.

Sure you have set input 1 to L only?

Sorry to do a thread resurrection like this, but I can't make the LED tickle the red at all with guitars that have medium-output pickups or less. EMG-81s barely tickle the red at full throttle on the I/O input setting. And this is with the instrument input set to "left only". Was this intended? For recording, it was nice on the Standard to be able to adjust the input trim very easily, since I have guitars with radically different outputs.

I just wonder if there's any audio impact from this.

Back
Top Bottom