FRFR Tip: Give yourself a midrange boost

You can't enable via foot switch, but if I'm playing live I only need to turn it on once, not switch back and forth.

Granted, you can't save the Global EQ as presets (a long wished for item) so that's an argument for using the GEQ blocks within presets.

But for me, if I play live, I just set the graphic eq during sound check or during the first song and it's on for the entire performance.

Hey guys, I'm total noob at this. If I want to follow Tyler's instruction I'm assuming I have to be on the first band (or the second) and adjust the parameters but what happens to the other bands? 3-5? I just leave that to default? So If I set the first band to be around 770, the second will be 400, the third 800, the fourth 1599 and so on.

Or Do I have to adjust the other bands, as well?

Hey guys, I'm total noob at this. If I want to follow Tyler's instruction I'm assuming I have to be on the first band (or the second) and adjust the parameters but what happens to the other bands? 3-5? I just leave that to default? So If I set the first band to be around 770, the second will be 400, the third 800, the fourth 1599 and so on.

Or Do I have to adjust the other bands, as well?

When the bands have "0" as the gain setting, they are not being used ("0" is default). All you need to do is use ONE of the bands, but use one of the 2,3,4 bands to make it easiest since you'll have to change the pulldown parameter to "peaking" if you use the 1 or 5 band.

Got to say , I did the PEQ with Scott's setting,just using before or after the amp,I love it.I saved the block and put in all my presets:D

When the bands have "0" as the gain setting, they are not being used ("0" is default). All you need to do is use ONE of the bands, but use one of the 2,3,4 bands to make it easiest since you'll have to change the pulldown parameter to "peaking" if you use the 1 or 5 band.

Ah! That's what scott's post was about. Gain being at 0db. Cool, thanks! So... as for scott's settings why would you have different settings? Well, I guess I understand what the freq and q is doing but what does the level have to do with the band settings? Thank you!

Well, I guess I understand what the freq and q is doing but what does the level have to do with the band settings?
When you set the gain above 0 dB, you're boosting that frequency range. When you set the gain below 0 dB, you're cutting that range. How much you cut or boost is determined by how far above or below zero you go.

Level just sets the overall output level of the EQ block.

Cool! Thanks, Rex. I'll do more experimenting with this block.

And, I gotta say, from my first try this weekend at church, it made a HUGE difference in my tone!! Thank you Tyler and everybody! I found that place where I just couldn't get to! For me, it wasn't necessarily solo tone I was missing but my rhythm tone that I just couldn't get it to sound good as I set up at home (with much quieter volume). Every time I set up at church I just had too much treble and too much oomph in the bass and this magically cured a lot of that! Unreal.

This is something Ive been doing for a a loing time - though using the global outs (so cant hit the 650 hz !!).

I actually use a flat EQ for live use, and a modified one for home use - so rather than boosting the mids, Im boosting the bass and trebbles for home, which when switching to the flat EQ has the same effect (that of raising the mids).

Im generally finding the 125hz and below bands are around the +2.5-+4db levels. The 2/4K bands are +2-2.5ish with the 8 and 16 around +1.

the hard ones are the 250/500/1K. the 250 is generally a small boost (0.5db or so) while the 500hz is a small cut (-0.5 to -1). The 1KHz ... well. Going form published FM curves, the 1K is the neutral point so should be 0db at any level. However, from using my ears, I find I need to boost this freq by 1 to 1.5 db or so for home use.

Im comming at it from a slightly differnt direction from most here (it seams) in that my patches are tweeked for "LIVE" so thats all good. Its then compensated for for "home" levels - so as long as it sounds good, the curve doesnt have to be actually correct as such. Its worked for me for maybe 3 years now.

I have the exact opposite problem. FOH guys are always dialing out mids from my rig. I have the mid controls at about 1.0 and sometimes less. Even drop the sliders on the graphic a db or two on 1k and 2k. Any suggestions?

I have the exact opposite problem. FOH guys are always dialing out mids from my rig. I have the mid controls at about 1.0 and sometimes less. Even drop the sliders on the graphic a db or two on 1k and 2k. Any suggestions?

Sounds like you are in need of more highs and lows. What type of guitar are you using?

do you still have clarity and cut with the band? or are they EQ'ing it so it disappears?!

Do you have specifics about what EQ settings they are using on the channel strip?

Do you have specifics about what EQ settings they are using on the channel strip?

Flat EQ on the board. Has been a pattern at several gigs so will follow the advice to add in more bass and highs. I played with a few today and will try at rehearsal. The true test will be this weekend since through my ears everything has sounded fine.

Has been cutting through in the mix fine because it is all mids so no issue with being heard.

Guitar is a strat with Lace Sensor Hot Gold Dually in the bridge which was never problematic when I ran though an Ultra back in the day. Clean tones are fine so the issue is only with dirty tones. Thanks for the advice guys.

Back
Top Bottom