FRFR Tip: Give yourself a midrange boost

thanks scott,
do you use this in the same manner...so playing (building sounds) at home at lower volume with the expr. pedal to zero, and playing live you fade in some mids...?
you´re adding the controller (with a range of Min: 0db and Max: +8db) to the PEQ´s final level parameter in the mixer section, right?
thanks a lot!

If needed I do; but if not I don't. Sounds like a pat answer, but it's honest. I do the PEQ's final level parameter setting in the modifier window; you can set the minimum and maximum output levels there.

Franklantern,

I see you have k10s and k12s. I am looking into purchasing a set of one of those speakers for my FRFR system. Do you have a preference or any feed back. I play a wide variety of styles depending on the gig.

I use a pair of k10 speakers. If I remember correctly the 10s were developed first and have the optimal design. Then QSC built the 12 and 8 based off the 10, so they are a bit compromised in my opinion. Volume has never been an issue especially with a pair of 10s.

The bass on the 10 is tight and the 12 is a bit boomy, the hard to control kind of boomy :)

If you switch the 12 to 'external subwoofer' with the switch at the back (which QSC explicitly recommends for the use with guitar processors) than the boominess is no issue at all and they give a more voluminous sound than the 10 IMHO.

Used this tonight at a gig, going through my RCF monitor and FOH.
Very nice, it does work a Tyler has stated.

I put the PEQ as a global bock in all presets, after the Cab, and I've tied the Bypass to an External. This lets me engage/bypass the PEQ block in all presets with just one action, depending on the gig.

Do you have to add this block to each patch separately or is there some way to add a global block to every preset?

Needs to be added per preset.

Or use the Global EQ instead. But that has fixed EQ bands.

Is it necessary to use an extrnal switch for the global PEQ? Couldn't I just assign its bypass status to some MFC switch?

Is it necessary to use an extrnal switch for the global PEQ? Couldn't I just assign its bypass status to some MFC switch?

Of course you can. But "global" control of a block's state is very handy. Let me explain.

You can use FX Bypass on the front panel, or an IA switch to bypass the PEQ block. This only applies to the current preset.

When, like me, you switch between poweramp+cabinet rigs and FRFR rigs, you want to enable or disable the midboost PEQ in all presets at once, depending on what rig you're using on the occasion. Otherwise you keep tapdancing.

You can accomplish it with the method described (PEQ Bypass parameter attached to external controller). No need assigning an external switch to that external controller; it suffices to use I/O > External Controller Initial Value. And you only have to do it once for the night.

Last edited:
Of course you can. But "global" control of a block's state is very handy. Let me explain.

You can use FX Bypass on the front panel, or an IA switch to bypass the PEQ block. This only applies to the current preset.

When, like me, you switch between poweramp+cabinet rigs and FRFR rigs, you want to enable or disable the midboost PEQ in all presets at once, depending on what rig you're using on the occasion. Otherwise you keep tapdancing.

You can accomplish it with the method described (PEQ Bypass parameter attached to external controller). No need assigning an external switch to that external controller; it suffices to use I/O > External Controller Initial Value. And you only have to do it once for the night.

Thanks, Yek. My situation is the same as yours, so what I'll need is an external switch... Although it it would be sweet if this global bypass feature could be added by FAS, without the need for an external switch!

No need for an external switch.
Switch "I/O > MIDI > Ext. Ctrl .. Initial Value" between 0% and 100% to enable or bypass the PEQ in all presets at once.

Thanks again, Yek, now I think I understood it - I've mistaken external controller for external switch... Gotta try this solution as soon as I'm near the Axe.

Reactions: yek
No need for an external switch.
Switch "I/O > MIDI > Ext. Ctrl .. Initial Value" between 0% and 100% to enable or bypass the PEQ in all presets at once.
Finally got it to work, thanks to your help, Yek! Awesome. Happy New Year!

I want to give this thread a bump. I've been playing a few rehearsals with the CLR, and applying this tip helps to add thump / punch to the sound.

In short: PEQ somewhere at the end of the grid, band 3: 770Hz, 0.35, 4dB Gain.

If you add this to multiple presets: attach an external controller to the PEQ's Bypass (edit: Bypass Mode) parameter and use I/O > MIDI > Ext Controller Init Value (or a switch assigned to ext3) to engage/bypass the PEQ in all presets.

Last edited:
+1. This method gives a very effective and versatile boost.Great for soloing, or just emphasizing part of a song.

I want to give this thread a bump. I've been playing a few rehearsals with the CLR, and applying this tip helps to add thump / punch to the sound.

In short: PEQ somewhere at the end of the grid, band 3: 770Hz, 0.35, 4dB Gain.

If you add this to multiple presets: attach an external controller to its Bypass parameter and use I/O > MIDI > Ext Controller Init Value (or a switch assigned to ext3) to engage/bypass the PEQ in all presets.

Yek, I don't quite understand. The "attach an external controller to its Bypass parameter" part. In the PEQ block, only see the Level, Balance and Bypass Mode attachable to an external controller. The only way I can come up with right now would be to setup the PEQ block in parallel and use the mixer to switch between the two, but there must be a simpler way for sure?

Yes, Bypass Mode is the correct parameter to attach the external controller to.
Press Enter to enter the modifier menu, in Source select one of the external controllers. Modifier settings at default.

Got it. Thanks guys.

Wow, I would not for the life of me have figured out that the "Bypass mode" modifier would have turned the block on and off. I have just assumed that it would change the parameter same as every other modifier page. This will be very helpful and can't wait to try out this Parametric EQ setting when I play with the band next time in a couple of days.

Reactions: yek
Back
Top Bottom