Ok....I'll start it......IPHONE 5?

See what I did there..? It's just 'change' my friend
friends.gif

Although I agree not all change is necessarily 'good'...
unsure.gif

That made me laugh! Fair point...

Guilty as charged. I was eligible for the upgrade pricing so I jumped on it the day it was offered. I sold one of my three Axon AX-100s to pay for it (and a backup HD ;-)

I had been holding out on moving to a 4S when my contract expired figuring I could keep the 3GS chugging along until the 5 was announced. It'll be a nice upgrade. My single-CPU 3GS definitely doesn't run anywhere near as quick as it used. iOS is more optimized for the multi-core chips now and devs are writing expecting multi-core too so it's all just kind of slowed down on the 3GS quite a bit.

The wannabe stuff you mean..? ;)

It's interesting to think about the ways other companies could have responded to the original iPhone:

1. Ignore it & keep doing what you're doing (Blackberry & Nokia)
2. Do a complete redesign to make something totally different, which could take years (Microsoft)
3. Just copy the iPhone & ride the wave (Samsung)

Samsung's strategy seems to have been the smartest one now. Sure, it may cost them a billion dollars, but they are now a market leader with the most brand recognition outside of Apple & they made enough money over the last few years to create some great new products that are now very different from Apple's products. In a lot of ways, Samsung now looks like the innovator that is creating lots of new ideas & products and Apple looks like a company clinging to their past successes, afraid to wander too far from the original design & functionality.

Nokia & Blackberry may never recover & the jury is still out on whether Windows Phone 8 is too little, too late.

Preordered mine early this morning at 3:45am. Getting it shipped to work next Friday (my birthday). Woohoo!

Not as exciting as the day I got my AxeFX, but still awesome. My iPhone 4 has been a faithful companion for 27 months. Time for a change.

Twice as fast, longer with same width, thinner, lighter, faster camera, 4G, 3 mics instead of 1, improved speakers, lightning connector for charging, and new ear buds

I watched some of the iPhone 5 Keynote speech yesterday and even I - as a bit of a self-confessed Apple fanboi - find the evangelical whooping and cheering somewhat, erm, sick..?
rolleyes.gif

Steve Jobs used to tread the line between proud and smug very well, but I don't think the succeeding crowd quite get that. Had to turn it off, so I don't even know what's 'different' about it
thumbdown.gif

Last edited:
It's interesting to think about the ways other companies could have responded to the original iPhone:

1. Ignore it & keep doing what you're doing (Blackberry & Nokia)
2. Do a complete redesign to make something totally different, which could take years (Microsoft)
3. Just copy the iPhone & ride the wave (Samsung)

Samsung's strategy seems to have been the smartest one now. Sure, it may cost them a billion dollars, but they are now a market leader with the most brand recognition outside of Apple & they made enough money over the last few years to create some great new products that are now very different from Apple's products. In a lot of ways, Samsung now looks like the innovator that is creating lots of new ideas & products and Apple looks like a company clinging to their past successes, afraid to wander too far from the original design & functionality.

Nokia & Blackberry may never recover & the jury is still out on whether Windows Phone 8 is too little, too late.

With Android, innovation can thrive due to multiple companies throwing out ideas and different products - it is more flexible to change. I agree that a lot of Android phones now have taken the lead and Apple seems to be the one playing catch up. Apple does not seem to want to change too much. I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it type mentality is present. Perhaps they think stirring the pot will upset its customers. However, they have a super loyal fan base so I don't think that they would lose out on profits if they try something "out there". I think they should take risks while they still have the mystique.

As long as they force you to use iTunes for everything, I won't buy it.
And I like to decide what to do with my stuff, not let Apple decide it for me.
I like to connect my devices and have them show up in explorer as an external drive, not be forced to use that iToxic thing.
And I refuse to pay too much if I can have something similar for half the price.

I had an iPhone 3 I had to replace at the end of the contract as it was cracked etc. I got a Blackberry for about half the price, that contract is now finished but the phone is still fine so now I pay just for monthly use which is next to nothing. When it wears out I will see what's around then.

I liked the iPhone but I have no real need for it or a new phone now.

I like Apple stuff but I'm under-whelmed with the iPhone 5. It's OK, but my 4 still works and does about everything I want quite well. I use it a ton, every day, so I might upgrade but I sure as hell won't be camping in front of an Apple store to be the first in line.

I wouldn't buy the iPhone 5 just because I'm an android man. Samsung is gonna sue the pants off Apple for including 4g LTE in the Iphone. Samsung owns all the patents that are vital to it, and has been building a legal platform for the Lawsuit since Apple started their intellectual property lawsuit. Wouldn't be at all suprised if by the end of the year apple has to Cease and Desist on the Iphone 5. And since Apple had already breached the 3g patents held by Samsung and got away with it, there's a strong case for patent infringment.

I cant support any company that has to install suicide nets to keep their employees from jumping to their deaths at lunch time.
I have a product for Apple, I call it the "iSuicideNet". It updates a database in real time for the ungrateful workers and docks their pay. :evil

Bubble busted. Sorry.

I understand better now after the launch of iphone 5, which isn't innovative at all, why Apple has resorted to abuse the imperfect patent system (Apple invented round corners!?) in an attempt to attack their competitors and lower the bar for themselves.
They're shifting focus from making revolutionary products to trolling and that is very off putting.
I'm not a Samsung fanboi, but Apple's recent behavior is desperate and ridiculous imho, so I'm boycotting on principle.

As long as they force you to use iTunes for everything, I won't buy it.
And I like to decide what to do with my stuff, not let Apple decide it for me.
I like to connect my devices and have them show up in explorer as an external drive, not be forced to use that iToxic thing.
And I refuse to pay too much if I can have something similar for half the price.

That is so well spoken.
+1

Apple used to accuse Microsoft of a lot of stuff. Now Apple is getting it right back, and rightfully so. Much of the criticism is true.

Still, the level of ease of use and problemfree integration of devices is beyond everything else. iCloud, networking and interfacing, Apple TV, etc. When calculated by the hour, the higher prices of Apple products don't matter that much anymore. "Going Apple" saved me many hours of troubleshooting (apart for some quirks in the last few years). YMMV.

My 'antique' 3GS is on its last legs, and I considered the 5...

... but I cannot believe that the 64GB phone that sells for $399 in the US sells for $999 over here!!!

The dollar is at 1:1 parity between the AUD and USD, and has been for a while. I cannot understand the extortion style pricing. That is a more than 100% premium on the US price. It's JUST like trying to buy musical instruments over here... ;)

I have a 4s (well, actually I upgraded from a 3GS to a 4, and then actually won a 4s soon after the release). I was hoping the 5 would be something actually revolutionary, but am disappointed. I feel like because of the success apple has received with consumers, they now realize they can simply release a spec bump every year and have consumers upgrade without question because it's the newest. I'm sorry but not really altering the outer aesthetic design of your phone because it is the 'best' really seems kind of lazy to me lol. Either way, I won't be upgrading. The 4s will still have the new map apps, the panorama function. That's good enough for me! :D

PS- Apple should focus on releasing a new version of Logic! That's a while other story though ;)

"Going Apple" saved me many hours of troubleshooting
I won't say windows has ever been trouble free but then again it had to work with a billion combinations of hardware.
Things have definitely improved with W7.
But in the past, I was happy working with Windows because I bought decent hardware.
If only you would have spent half of what your spending on Apple stuff now, you would have been trouble free as well.
For example.
I have a Dell Vostro with a 1920x1200 screen. Yes, you're reading this right. Way before there was talk of a retina screen.
It's now 5 1/2 years old and has never ever given me any trouble.
For an Apple laptop with exactly the same hardware I had to pay almost double.
My Dell U2711 screen: dito
Exactly the same hardware, 60% of the price of an Apple.
Apple's biggest achievement is to have people enslave themselves freely and pay dearly for it.

So in America you got AT&T and Verizon. I have been an AT&T customer for 17 or so years, when it was Cingular, but my wife wants us to switch to Verizon, plus we get a discount through work for Verizon. My question is how big a deal is it that you can't be on a call and surf the web at the same time. Is it a big deal for any of you?

My question is how big a deal is it that you can't be on a call and surf the web at the same time. Is it a big deal for any of you?

Not a big deal at all. I am hardly ever surfing while talking on the phone. Firstly it is kind of rude haha. Secondly, then you have to go on speakerphone and it's kind of a bigger pain. The only reason I may be surfing is if I am on the line with someone and they need me to look up a phone number or address or something that I can quickly google. If you can't do that, you just say "alright, I'll do that. Call you back in 2 minutes". You kind of have to decide how often you would do that :D

Back
Top Bottom