Tone Matching: A Step-by-Step Video Tutorial

I'll echo what I said on TGP - Awesome video, well explained. Clear and concise without too much superficial talking - just the way I like my demo videos!

Oh, and may I add I am: 'plastic still on'... :D

Great video. Have Cliff send you another piece of plastic and put it on top of the first one. After a month take just the top one off and you will feel naked and still be protected. It works with condums also. LOL.

ianx said:
btw keep the plastic. I have 2 digitech pmc10's that I bought in late 89 and retired in 07 that still have the plastic on the displays. :)

Lol. That's awesome. I'm keeping it for sure! My MFC has the plastic as well and I've had both Axe and MFC since August. Not coming off.

Lol. That's awesome. I'm keeping it for sure! My MFC has the plastic as well and I've had both Axe and MFC since August. Not coming off.

plastic.jpg

Ok, followed every detail to the T then hitting fx bypass to activate it it sounds very processed and thin. What am I missing???? i am using a mac and have selected the AxeII as the out put source which is giving me a good signal it's just coming out weird sounding.

Last edited:
***NOTE***

To get the best result from a Tone Match, please do not use the L+R Sum as your source. It tends to be phasey and sound 'hollow'. Use a mono source or just choose Left or Right.

IMHO, YMMV.

In the video it did not mention this only to set the refrence source to usb, the ref ch and local ch have the options for L + R, so confused even more, but thankful for help!

One suggestion:
I should have made the default for the reference Left Only as a lot of times the guitar will be stereo and if you sum to mono (L+R SUM) you get weird phasing and this will affect the match results negatively. Therefore it is best to set the channel for the reference to Left or Right only.

Stated earlier...

Have fun!

Ok, followed every detail to the T then hitting fx bypass to activate it it sounds very processed and thin. What am I missing???? i am using a mac and have selected the AxeII as the out put source which is giving me a good signal it's just coming out weird sounding.

I found that too LONG a source sample tended to cause this (to thin out the tone). Also, make sure the sound sample doesn't contain too much silence. I had to splice some source samples together in a couple of instances to get rid of quiet patches and keep it down to about 10 to 15 seconds.

I've found 5-10 seconds, Left Only input on reference, to be ideal. I've updated the video with annotations to reflect this.

Again thank you guys, but no dead spots in the sample, set on left, getting good input from USB. Here is what I came up with for Andy Timmons 'Deliver us' All fx were by passed except the drive when I did the match.

I followed all the instructions and I'm getting good graphs. But my ultimate sound is thin and lower volume. I set up a MONO track in logic. I see a mono signal in logic (one bar). I set the reference channel in the TMA block to L. I played the ref signal and my guitar with these settings. The result is always thin and lower volume.

Other suggestions?

Thx!

Back
Top Bottom