Tone Matching: A Step-by-Step Video Tutorial

jma said:
I've been experimenting with tone matching for the past couple hours and I'm having the same exact problem. I'm following the procedure precisely, the sound levels for both ref and local are good, but all tone match results are hollow and thin - they sound just like an IR taken from the back of a cab.

Per the annotation note in the video, match using only the left or right channel of the reference signal. That will get rid of the hollowness.

cragginshred said:
Since several of us are not getting the same results can you share the 'Count of Tuscany' pre set?

I meant to do it yesterday but had to leave town. I'll get it up asap.

Per the annotation note in the video, match using only the left or right channel of the reference signal. That will get rid of the hollowness.

Yup, I did that but it didn't help with my matches. I fought with it all morning then gave up. For now, I'm going to pretend that I never heard of tone matching and go back to what I was doing before - having fun! :)

1). Very well done video demo!
2). Lose the plastic! :)
I don't want to be the only one that still has the plastic on. Please, hang in with it for just a little while longer.

Perfect job on the video tutorial. Great promotion for the unwashed I think for when they finally decide, Hey, I really DESERVE to have the tone I WANT.

Re the problems people are having, since the volume coming out the monitors can be sufficient, but not indicate if the input is at optimum level for the Axe software algorithms to process with (and I think maybe people hearing a clear signal from their monitors or computer speakers don't realize that this can easily be relatively too quiet or loud as reference), what's the best "foolproof and precise" way to gauge whether the reference input is loud enough, not too loud? I mean, so long as the signal is sufficiently high (near orange) for a considerable part of the time would this not be sufficient?

Last edited:
Matching the correct amp type for the tone you're shooting for is probably gonna make all the difference in the world in regards to results so it's best to spend a few minutes researching what amp was used or what amp you think was used in order to get results that stand a chance at being a good match.

No luck with tone matching

I'm having no luck at all with tone matching tonight. Everyone I try ends up sounding very midrangy with no low end and sounds nothing like the original. I tried capturing both my reference and local signals first with just the left; then with just the right; then Sum L+R, all of them sounded the same. I tried different reference sources. Still no luck. I tried it with the tone matching module bypassed and active. I watched both videos and thought I was following them to a tee. I don't get it. After I capture the reference and local sources, I hit enter but do not hear anything different. I hit store and still do not hear anything different. Just the same crappy sound. Shouldn't the sound change when you hit enter? I delete the tone matching module and add a 4x12 cab and it sounds great. I am doing it from the front panel of the Axe but I do have Axe Edit on. Do you think that might be screwing things up? I am using a Strat. Do you think tone matching doesn't work well with strats? I don't get it. What I am missing? I am hearing others on the forum getting some good results.

couple questions. When you sample your test clip, you have the TMB bypassed. Obviously this works. But you have your amp block on . Wont the sound get reamped doing this before it reaches the TMB? Or does it not by using the usb in? I haven't tried the USB in yet and for testing just ran a headphone out from computer to guitar front input. (yes I know its not the best) It was just to see if it worked. BUT I have to turn off everything as not to affect the test signal. Im just confused on bypassed TMB and amp on Blocks on or off. On the test user clip I turn the amp block back on so the TMB can do its thing in relation to what I have set on my amp block.
Thanks for help on my confusion
Mick

Thanks for the video! I followed the instructions and with a little tweaking I got excellent results!

What confuses me though, is:

1. When I tonematched once but wanna give it another try, can I just hit y again to play? Will it use only the new clip, or does it add the new take to the old one and calculate that?

2. When I shunt the TMA block and put it in again in the same preset (in order to start over) the TMA display does still show the old graphs.

3. I also get matched tones that sound very midrangey compared to the originals. Tweaking the amp parameters afterwards helps of course.

MickUF said:
couple questions. When you sample your test clip, you have the TMB bypassed. Obviously this works. But you have your amp block on . Wont the sound get reamped doing this before it reaches the TMB? Or does it not by using the usb in? I haven't tried the USB in yet and for testing just ran a headphone out from computer to guitar front input. (yes I know its not the best) It was just to see if it worked. BUT I have to turn off everything as not to affect the test signal. Im just confused on bypassed TMB and amp on Blocks on or off. On the test user clip I turn the amp block back on so the TMB can do its thing in relation to what I have set on my amp block.
Thanks for help on my confusion
Mick

USB in reads directly from the USB, so it doesn't go through the actual signal chain. So no. No reamping of the reference signal through the amp.

I meant to do it yesterday but had to leave town. I'll get it up asap.

Great video, thanks for posting. As a complete noob to the available technology I find this all utterly amazing. I have an ultra so am unable to try out this tone matching until I get a II. Please could you post your patch so I and others could try it out. Thanks!

Hey mate
What pickups your petrucci does have? That's significant when I would like to use your presets without tweaking them too much.

GREAT vid, congrats!

HA HA...I am not alone leaving the plastic on (in my 2 units)!
And I did sell my Ultra with it on too!

plastic.jpg

That's tooooooo funny!

Great video, thanks for posting. As a complete noob to the available technology I find this all utterly amazing. I have an ultra so am unable to try out this tone matching until I get a II. Please could you post your patch so I and others could try it out. Thanks!

I plan on posting the patch when I get back in town. But since you only have an Ultra, it's not going to work for you... :/

Hey mate
What pickups your petrucci does have? That's significant when I would like to use your presets without tweaking them too much.

It's a pre-summer 2009 JP6, so it has the D-Sonic and Air Norton.

Mines are original ones so there can be mismatch as your D-Sonic sounds stronger ... But I'm going to replace them with Crunch Lab and Liquifire hopefully tone will improve once again.

Great vid(s)....
+1 on the plastic :eek:

I even have my TC Gsystem for sale right now and it still has the pastic lol! You are not alone....as everyone is also admitting hah

Back
Top Bottom