Version 6.00 Preview

Hi,

I have a Tone Match question.

Does this work with a signal that has delay & reverb on? Does/can it take into consideration those parameters/factors?

regards

Steve

Hopefully nobody want to "clone" the guitarist and playin also .... if, i recommend buying the cd .... :)

This seems to me, as my first reaction, to be a problem. A fun problem yes, of course! Almost all tones people probably want to match are from recordings with effects, reverb, compression, both from pedal and later processed by the engineer, limited, panned, shuffled and scrambled. Where is the tone in it's original form? I'd bet the tone EVH or anyone uses is possibly significantly different on record than what he actually played anyway. Speaking as a mixing engineer now. And then at the later stage, MASTERED with EQ, compression and more limiting.

So how to isolate the actual guitar amp from all the pixie dust that went into the process of treatment -- reverb, delay, pitch shift, chorus, compression. Each layer effects the tone one way or another.

.... so this will be the reason tone-matching will work best, when raw power chords (whole guitar frequency spectrum!!!!) of raw Amp/Cab tracks will be heard to copy ..... the bassman clip will be difficult because NOT having power chords (whole frequency spectrum at once) .... but ... we will see ..... hopefully looking for A/B tests from useres, when FW is out ...

You just need to manually select a similar amp and set the gain first.
Is the tone matching block an EQ only or is other information also included such as less/more gain, dynamics etc?

E.g. if you dial up an initial amp & it doesn't have as much gain as the source you want to match, will the tone match block correct that?

So how to isolate the actual guitar amp from all the pixie dust that went into the process of treatment -- reverb, delay, pitch shift, chorus, compression. Each layer effects the tone one way or another.

That said, and in fear of being a party pooper of humongous proportions, I must say that I thought the posted clip sounded pretty bad...But so did the clip they "matched". It was full of nasty compression artifacts.

But this is still just eq and "amount of gain" matching? The attack portion of the two clips was very different.

This seems to me, as my first reaction, to be a problem. A fun problem yes, of course! Almost all tones people probably want to match are from recordings with effects, reverb, compression, both from pedal and later processed by the engineer, limited, panned, shuffled and scrambled. Where is the tone in it's original form? I'd bet the tone EVH or anyone uses is possibly significantly different on record than what he actually played anyway. Speaking as a mixing engineer now. And then at the later stage, MASTERED with EQ, compression and more limiting.

But in many situations you would want to capture a lot of that "pixie dust."

I've been on the fence a long time, and Love my Ultra. However, I just pulled the trigger on the II after this post. I am unbelievably physched for this firmware!

But in many situations you would want to capture a lot of that "pixie dust."
Absolutely! The pixie dust is the, well pixie dust. The magic stuff that's so elusive. But you still won't know how to do it and -- not to be a big party pooper! I'm very excited too. - But I wonder how the tone will be effected by altering the eq, delay, compression reverb AGAIN post recording.

It's something engineers face trying to listen, take apart or recreate a track AFTER it's been mastered. Or try to remaster a track from an already mastered copy. You start swimming in a sewer. Like taking a bath in dirty bathwater. Is that my dirt or the dirt of the 6 people who were in this tub before me?

Just thinking out out here . . .

Good thing about the VH isolated guitar tracks i can play left side and get rid of a lot of verb and delay helps alot

Have a feeling most name guitarists/bands with signature gtr sounds won't be releasing any new songs where the guitar starts the song by itself anymore, or any breaks in the song with just guitar.. :)

Thanks again Cliff/Fractal for what looks like another incredible new feature!

I think most name guitarists know the hands are the most important, so it's not easy to steal the way someone plays/sounds. I might be wrong though, since I come from a more jazz sensibility.

As they say, 'Talk is Cheap' - I wanna see the goods!!! :)

(crazy boy make funny slogan....me can wait for 'Criff' to finish...)

Last edited:
From what I gather so far. Tone Matching is like a Filter/PEQ/IR all in one. Say you like match the tone of "Crazy Train" by RR. You know he used a Marshall for the track, so to get in the ballpark. You probably choose a Marshally amp model to begin with eg. plexi, Friedman HBE, JCM800 etc. also considering the gain structure and dynamics in mind.*

Then you pick an isolated track of Crazy Train and the Tone Matching feature will analyze the EQ range of the track and automate the approx amp eq settings and the eq range of the guitar cab combined to give you the specific voicing.*

iMHO, it's a auto tweaking feature that uses all the inherent on board parameters to give you a specific voicing you want rather than using your ears and the hours of tweaking to do it.*

I might be wrong though. ;)

Back
Top Bottom