Version 5.00 firmware preview

5!!! Yes!!!

hey cliff, wil the dynamic speaker modelling have any impact if I'm running into a real 4x12 cab and bypassing the IRs?

Hey Cliff,

Your a monster. Thank you for all your hard work. The tone in the clip is really juicy. It makes me glad that I own a strat.

Hey shotgunn,

Man I hope you do get to a qualified counselor and put your stuff on the table so to speak. I hit this wall about twelve or thirteen years ago. Don't pursue a permanent solution to a temporary problem. You are needed and accepted here. I love your sense of humor, honesty and contributions.

would it be best to leave it on when using real cabs, or would it be like doubling things already happening in my real physical speaker?

would it be best to leave it on when using real cabs, or would it be like doubling things already happening in my real physical speaker?

It's part of the cab block so you can't leave it on if you're not using the cabs. I have been contemplating moving it to the amp block though.

hmmm, well if it's a benefit to both IR and real cab users I'd love to have it in the amp block, I don't really disable anything you guys add. Even when I thought grid modelling was messing up my tone, which it wasn't, as usual it was me and my fat fingers dialing in the bad voodoo lol.

Unfortunately I kid not. I'm on medication, but life circumstances just keep kicking my a$$. I totally appreciate your concern cliff. Thanx!!! I need to get back into some counseling. Believe it or not This forum really helps me out each day. That was the first time I ever mentioned my personal problems specifically btw. I just like being here getting info and tips and offering of my own experience and knowledge. I feel welcomed and appreciated here. Two things I literally feel in no other part of my life.

Look at me, being all Debbie Downer about it. Hey check out this new FW guys!!! Btw I hate my life and my dog just died. Wah wah waaaah...

No pressure Cliff take your time with the new FW!!! LOL!!! See??? I love this place!!!

I'm a high gain djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

Dude, get to the doc and make sure your med levels are correct first off and seek any help neccessary. Then get your ass back in here and know there are a lot people who treasure your witty posts and input. No matter how bad it gets dont ever think you are alone because that is just not true. PM me anytime if you want my phone number and know you can call me anytime of the day 24/7 if you just need someone to lean on or an ear to bend.

And learn to play some soothing CSN&Y. :) That djent stuff is too intense!!!!

It models the impedance change of the motor with applied power.

Nice!!...could it be said this will make IR's 'feel' more like a speaker? I get great sounds out of NF IR's but they sure don't feel like a real 4x12...I spend most of my tweaking time pursuing a feel more than tones lol.

Looking forward to 5.0. Thanx for all the kind words. You guys rock!!! Sorry to be a distraction from the thread.

Sent from my iPod.

Reactions: yek
shotgunn - get your situation under control and work with the docs to get your meds right... we need you around here man!!

5.0 is pretty kick-ass. It's like everything has more 'impact' and 'juice' (yes, juice again!); the way it reacts is totally intuitive to a player that is used to working with extraordinary sounding and feeling amps. Consider this a sonic and even MORE of a feel thing. You get 'oomph' and impact and 'bounce' from your tones. Cranked up and playing live; you'll most likely have to adjust your highs and lows.... and that's it. You'll back off your lows, back off your highs and on clean tones you'll need to pay a lot of attention to how you want the amp to 'feel' even more. At this point, there is a new tab with all the parameters laid out very efficiently and learning how they work takes about 10 minutes and then you essentially use it to 'finish' off a preset by adjusting how you want the amp to react to your touch.

It's crazy. It's fun. And you won't need any long list from anyone to redial your presets.

Very cool. Very very cool.

Nice!!...could it be said this will make IR's 'feel' more like a speaker? I get great sounds out of NF IR's but they sure don't feel like a real one...

Yup, improves the feel too. Feels great now. I can't stop playing. I'm A/B'ing it against a JCM800 (2204) into a Faustine Phantom into my Mesa 4x12 and prefer the Axe-Fx through my studio monitors feel- and sound-wise. Chunky and greasy. The loaded JCM800 feels like I have to fight the strings and the highs are restricted sounding. The Axe-Fx notes just explode off the fretboard. Feels like playing a dimed amp at conversation volumes. The cool thing is you can adjust the dynamics. Don't want it so bouncy? Turn the knob down.

Looking forward to 5.0. Thanx for all the kind words. You guys rock!!! Sorry to be a distraction from the thread.

Sent from my iPod.

Firmware is just that... firmware (no offense Cliff) and we get those almost weekly. You are one of a kind and irreplaceable. Never EVER forget that.

ohhhh and the new 5.0 teasers sound oh soooo yummy!

I'm just curious as to the triode modelling mentioned.

With firmware 3.5 I was under the impression the power amp was switched to pentode modelling?
I found 3.5 to be a great improvement to the tightness and overall response of the amps.

Was 4.0 changed back to triode? Or does it have both and switch depending on the amp being modeled?
I have a feeling that 4.0 switched back to triode modeling which might explain why I don't enjoy it as much as I did 3.5

I've only been an Axe II owner since X-mas week and alreay I've bone thru a 3.XX a 4.00 and a 4.01.
now a 5.0 is on the horizon??
man it certainly looks like I picked a good time to take the plunge and get one of these.
Thanks Cliff!!!
keep em coming!!!

Yup, improves the feel too. Feels great now. I can't stop playing. I'm A/B'ing it against a JCM800 (2204) into a Faustine Phantom into my Mesa 4x12 and prefer the Axe-Fx through my studio monitors feel- and sound-wise. Chunky and greasy. The loaded JCM800 feels like I have to fight the strings and the highs are restricted sounding. The Axe-Fx notes just explode off the fretboard. Feels like playing a dimed amp at conversation volumes. The cool thing is you can adjust the dynamics. Don't want it so bouncy? Turn the knob down.

Ahhh cool, especially since I also use a JCM800/4x12 as my 'calibration reference' once a week at jam-night for the last several years, and there is just a certain feel that's been elusive for me to fully get with IR's/FRFR.

If you're getting that vibe from studio monitors that's very cool....

Triodes are in the preamp. Pentodes (or tetrodes) in the power amp. The triode models were improved as well as the power amp pentode models. One of the things I spent a lot of time on was grid excursion. While, in general, grid conduction is considered undesirable, a little grid conduction is actually beneficial to the sound. It causes the bias point to shift with applied signal. This causes the harmonic balance to change.

Most high-gain tube amps have large grid stopping resistors to prevent grid conduction. Yet some grid conduction still occurs which causes changes in the operating points. In general, the bias shift pushes the operating point towards cutoff which is the "softer" end of the transfer function. An SLO100 is unique in that one stage is biased very close to cutoff. When that stage is driven the bias shift tries to push it even more into cutoff but the local feedback tries to push it out of cutoff. So you get this fight between the grid and the feedback which gives you a unique sound. The new triode modeling models this stuff.

Grid conduction also occurs in power amps. This pushes the bias point "colder". Again, too much can sound farty, but small amounts add character. There is a parameter in the advanced menu that lets you adjust the amount of bias shift as well as the time constants.

Likewise, I got mine about 10 days before Xmas. I haven't even updated to FW 4 yet (was out of town, then had gigs to get ready for). I was just playing around w/ the Axe now (still on 3.04) and was seriously finding some sweet tones in there... and now on to 5!!

Cliff, will there be a new set of banks A-C for the 5.0 release?

This is just what I needed. I've been borderline suicidally depressed lately. This made smile and got my heart beating again. Thanx Cliff!!!

Sent from my iPod.

If your serious someone should call a 5150 on you, If someone in my office says this, legally I have to call the police?! careful.

Back
Top Bottom