EVM12l and the GT800 FR

Yek,
Thanks for yesterday I had a big grine on my face afterwards. Was thinking sending a PM but other users may find this also interesting. Could you measure the inner size of your cab like I explained yesterday with the diameter of the two holes (sorry forgot the official word)? Could you also check if their are tubes mounted behind the 2 holes by sticking a needle through the cloth on the side of one hole?

i need this to check if my smaller TT-cabs need some modification to to move the lower roll-of frequency

Thanks

BTW, looking at the GT specs you may want to order 8 Ohm EVMs. More power....

Yek,

Are saying that you have put 16ohm in your new cabinets?

That would be a shame power wise.

Greetings

@vitchpad1: you´re welcome. Let me add one thing: do not expect a big difference soundwise, these speakers sound pretty close, it is more of a subtle improvement, a feel thing. Maybe this will change once my EVMs are broken in (I have no idea how long that takes, anybody?). The more dramatic improvement was the GT800FX. Anyway, I feel the EVMs are more versatile so they will stay.

My cabs just came in. Made by TT Cabs.
Each one has an EVL Classic in it. A bassport was added for more linear respons.
One for rehearsals and small bars, two for the larger venues.
Now waiting for the power amp.

ttcab1.JPG

Nice ones! What about the shoes then? Part of stage persona? : D

/Mike

Which TT Cab with EVM 12L Classic ?

Hi,

very instructive thread. I'm new here and I 'd like to find out which TT cab suits my needs (mostly blues, rock, hard rock, and a few clean sounds).

What will be, from your opinion, the best TT cab for the EVMs, because there are several series (Studio, Rex, Classic...), models (1x12, 2x12 ... ) and back configurations (close open, Flex) ?

As an example there is the TTC 112 REX Pro that is well suited (recommanded by TT) for the EVM 12L.
Does it worth to add à couple of euros for the Flex back option? I read on a music forum the EVMs had better high freq in an open cab and less 'boomy' in low end.

To match with the GT800FX, 2 cabs with 1x12 each seems to be the most versatile combination as one can just use 1 cab in small room and 2 in larger venues, with stereo FX.

Thanks,

Eric

Yek,

Are saying that you have put 16ohm in your new cabinets?

That would be a shame power wise.

Greetings

I'm afraid so. Not my smartest decision :)
Oh well they're loud enough.

Hi Joe56,

I can´t comment on the TT-cabs, but I´ve been gigging with my (2) Mesa Thiele 1x12"s for years. I place them stacked on a little table I built (height ca. 50 cm) and my small rack on top, that is all I will ever need, even in large venues, and I play in a pretty loud classic rock band. These two little beasts can shake the walls if wanted. No need for hauling a 4x12"-cab. So +1 for versatility and ease of transport.
As for the closed/open back options: I tried the 3/4 open back-Mesa´s as well but preferred the Thiele´s, don´t find them boomy at all and tighter sounding, depends also a lot on the venue/stage construction you´re playing at. I would go for the flex back option , so you can adjust to taste.

Hope this helps.

@Joe: I discussed the open/closed/flex stuff with TT Cabs. They advised to use a non-Thiele closed-back cab, with bass port.

I am getting my balls back

Just ordered my EVM12L's from Thomann. Did some cabinet calculations and it turns out I can tune my cabinets with closed back with 2 ports of 10 cm (length 10 cm) to roll of at 80 Hz (-1,5 dB) with a nice slope to 50 Hz (-10dB).

Hurraaay I am getting my balls back! :p

Here how to check and tune your cabinet
LinearTeam
LinearTeam

Last edited:
Could you measure the inner size of your cab like I explained yesterday with the diameter of the two holes (sorry forgot the official word)? Could you also check if their are tubes mounted behind the 2 holes by sticking a needle through the cloth on the side of one hole?

horizontal: 62cm (that's the inner size between the sides, in other words: the grill)
vertical: 43 cm (idem)

Diameter holes: about 8 cm

Tubes mounted, eh don't know ...

... However, contrary to other posted experiences, we obtained best results with the stock cabs, such as the Cali, with or without mic sim. We didn't mess with this for long, so more experimenting is required here before drawing conclusions. Still, Smilefan, care to share some of your IR details? Because the differences surprised us.

To respond to my own post:

My GT800FX is in, it's doing fine and I 'm experimenting with cab sims.

I get much better results now with the 3rd party IRs than yesterday. I think I can live happily ever after without cab sims at all for live performances. Clean and high-gain stuff sounds fine without them. But for tones like Plexi and Wrecker and crunch tones in general the cab colorizing is pretty important. And it looks like the Ownhammer IRs (TC 30-1) can get me there. Using cab sims does adds mids and I have to take care not getting a mushy. But it's doable.

horizontal: 62cm (that's the inner size between the sides, in other words: the grill)
vertical: 43 cm (idem)

Diameter holes: about 8 cm

Tubes mounted, eh don't know ...

Yek,

Thanks for the info! Their must be some tubes behind the vents for tuning the low frequency of your cabinet. Thats how it works :)

Advice: If I were you I contact Dirk from TT-cabs to swap the speakers with 8 Ohm version. You still have garantee so he will prob suggest that he sent the speakers and you send the 16 ohm versions back. The swap itself is a joke. When you open up the cab I am curious how long the tubes behind the vents are.

Greetings,

@gitfruit: well the "feel thing" and "versatilty" is really what i am looking for so with th Gt800fx i hope it will make it.

@joe56: I ll contact TT cabs as if like me you want to go fo the evm12 8 ohm they might recommand another one...

Dada or someone else can perhaps advise if 16 or 8 ohm would have a big impact on the cab selection?

Dada or someone else can perhaps advise if 16 or 8 ohm would have a big impact on the cab selection?

Yep thats me

The GT800 delivers 400 Watt at 4 ohm per channel and 250 Watt at 8 ohm. So at 16 ohm per channel you will fall back to ca 150 Watt per channel. So a pure wasre of amp power. The 16 ohm version are made for mutiple driver solutions like 2 12 inch solution. Reason 2 12 inch 16 ohm in parallel connected is 8 ohm.

So for a 1 x 12 solution take the 8 ohm version

Cheers

Thank you guys for your help.

obviously there will be 2 cabs, each with 1 x EVM 12L classic, closed-back, 1 or 2 vents (tubes). Impedance will be 8 ohm per speaker to match the GT800FX outpout power.

@VITCHPAT1: you or me could give TT Cabs a call or email to ask for a quotation. May be with the same bass port mod they did for Yek.

@Yek: did you sign up a NDA with TT for the mods ? ;)

Maybe this will change once my EVMs are broken in (I have no idea how long that takes, anybody?)

The EVM's take some pounding to become fully broken in. I had to play mine at three outdoor gigs of three hours each at massive volume before I felt they achieved their full sonic spectrum and response. Out of the box they sound "pinched" compared to what they are really capable of.

Or take the easy way out and get a tech to put 'em on a Variac for a night.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom