Amp Shootout: Matrix GT800FX vs. VHT 2/90/2

What is the volume like on the Rocktron? At 150W stereo it doesn't seem like it would be enough for bigger gigs. Have you had any problems? I have read lots of complaints about Rocktron's build quality and reliability (I have not checked one out myself).

I suppose it wouldn't be enough for your rig, Smilefan - you would get 150W @ 4 ohms per side - barely enough SS headroom for one EVM-12L. But for guys driving one EVM-12L, or a traditional 4x12 with Celestions, it would be a great and cheap choice.

I never had problems with its reliability, but I find it's harder to judge that against the Matrix, for example, since Rocktron is a big company, and probably sold LOTS of units... Hence there'll be more field failures reported...

Neither did I. And it sounded great!

As for the front controls altering feedback loops and stuff, that was probably meant to have the V300 behave more like a valve amp reacting to speakers changing impedance. At least seems to be the idea Rocktron had to make it warmer sounding - and it worked...
The GT800 isn't flat as well, right? As far as I remember, it's been said that it was tweaked from the XT800 to make it guitar-friendlier...

It's been tweaked yes but still it's still flat. Along with the connectors etc (which weren't standard on theXT) the fan speed, input sensitivity have changed along with higher quality op-amps or fets (can't recall which now) and the amp was tweaked to respond a bit different to the XT, which is fine for PA and DJ use but not as "transparent" for us geetarists. From what I can remember anyhow, it's been a few weeks and beer has been consumed in that time!

The Martix is dead quiet.....I really like that.

How are you connections - meaning, from Axe to Matrix, are you using XLR -> XLR ? That could be the cause for the quietness you perceived. The Rocktron has TS inputs, no XLR.

Output 2 here, dead quiet also. Wouldn't it be noisier through output1 XLR as that's +6db hotter? Aside from the balanced out issue.

Not really, since XLR connections are balanced, they're less prone to noise, than TS ones. Both Axe Outputs are the same, the only difference is those XLR's are balanced, TS 's are not. From the site:

Rear Panel Analog Outputs, Output 1
(2) x ¼" phone jack, unbalanced • 100Ω impedance • Max Output Level:+18 dBu • Dynamic Range:> 105 dB
Frequency Response:20 - 20kHz, +0 / -3 dB • Crosstalk:<-60 dB over full bandwidth

(2) x XLR, Balanced • 100Ω impedance • • Max Output Level:+18 dBu • Dynamic Range:> 105 dB
Frequency Response:20 - 20kHz, +0 / -3 dB • Crosstalk:<-60 dB over full bandwidth

Rear Panel Analog Outputs, Output 2
(2) x ¼" phone jack, unbalanced • 100Ω impedance • • Max Output Level:+18 dBu • Dynamic Range:> 105 dB

Thanks Iggy. I'm using TS->TS with the Axe-Matrix. Very quiet. Again, Paul checked and....

The Matrix specs are better than the Rocktrons with regard to noise etc
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/amps-cabs/33726-new-matrix-gt800fx-amp-axe-fx-3.html

I never doubted its specs were better than the Rocktron, just to be clear, I wasn't knocking the Matrix, sorry if it seemed so. Was just giving an idea of a great-sounding budget option, for those who won't need 300W+.
I'd still suggest someone to try more amps side-by-side, including Carvin 1540L. Tech talk will only get us so far - as it was pointed out earlier in this thread - and, in the end, what counts are comparisons by some good pairs of ears, heh?
Paul, Smilefan and Claxor made comparisons of the GT800 vs. VHT 2902 and 2502.
Acbarros compared GT800 vs. Rocktron V300. Now we came to a draw.
Someone please compare GT800 vs. Carvin 1540L for example. I'm sure lots of Axe-fx users highly appreciate those efforts, and base their decisions on this kind of reviews/shootouts when deciding which amp best fits their rig and budget. I, for one, thank all of you who took the time and effort to share this great info. :)

Agreed Iggy. And not knocking the V300, I think they're great amps for the price, just not powerful enough for "serious" pro use. Remember Dada and Mr Friendly also compared the Art Sla2 (and maybe Claxor?) but agreed, the more the merrier as they say.

Hey, even if it serves only to drive Matrix into building a bigger and better amp with some of the feedback, then that ain't a bad thing by any stretch!

well I own a Carvin 3000DCML and I'll have a MatrixGT2000RF it's a slightly different amp but I'll give a head to head review once I get them both together

I am about to get the AxeFX II, and I also need a Poweramp for it. I already have a Port City 4x12 Cab which I want to use, so my question is what Poweramp would you suggest in this configuration. Would you then to the Fryette 2:90:2 or to the Matrix Gt 800 FX?

I am about to get the AxeFX II, and I also need a Poweramp for it. I already have a Port City 4x12 Cab which I want to use, so my question is what Poweramp would you suggest in this configuration. Would you then to the Fryette 2:90:2 or to the Matrix Gt 800 FX?

I also am going to Axe II. I loved my VHT 2/90/2 to death, but the Matrix has some very valuable features for me:

VHT pros:

Slight edge in tube-y vibe (Matrix is stiffer, more precise - actually better for metal styles)
Slight edge in volume capability
Lots of EQ/tone shaping controls on the face

VHT cons:

weighs 40 pounds
Has 8 tubes (fragile, needs retubing ea 2-3 yrs)
2 rack spaces (Matrix is one)

Matrix pros:

8 pound weight
8 in. deep (fit in any rack)
1 rack space
solid state (no tubes to break or replace)

Matrix cons:

Matrix requires tweaking at the Axe to get very close to the VHT (but it WILL get VERY close)
No face controls for sound shaping

Axe II has 4 assignable face controls, so this VHT advantage is negated for II users.

For me, the Matrix is a dream, as I travel alot. Lugging the VHT around sucked. Now I can fit
the Axe II and the Matrix into a softcase shoulder bag 3 space rack and check it with my guitar
as "ala carte" luggage. Some may still want VHT for the ultimate in warm tubey response.
You can't go wrong either way. But the Matrix is a serious option.

Last edited:
I also am going to Axe II. I loved my VHT 2/90/2 to death, but the Matrix has some very valuable features for me:

VHT pros:

Slight edge in tube-y vibe (Matrix is stiffer, more precise - actually better for metal styles)
Slight edge in volume capability
Lots of EQ/tone shaping controls on the face

VHT cons:

weighs 40 pounds
Has 8 tubes (fragile, needs retubing ea 2-3 yrs)
2 rack spaces (Matrix is one)

Matrix pros:

8 pound weight
8 in. deep (fit in any rack)
1 rack space
solid state (no tubes to break or replace)

Matrix cons:

Matrix requires tweaking at the Axe to get very close to the VHT (but it WILL get VERY close)
No face controls for sound shaping

Axe II has 4 assignable face controls, so this VHT advantage is negated for II users.

For me, the Matrix is a dream, as I travel alot. Lugging the VHT around sucked. Now I can fit
the Axe II and the Matrix into a softcase shoulder bag 3 space rack and check it with my guitar
as "ala carte" luggage. Some may still want VHT for the ultimate in warm tubey response.
You can't go wrong either way. But the Matrix is a serious option.

But I can also connect the Matrix Poweramp to my regular guitar cabinets right? By tweaking you mean the preamp and poweramp section on the AxeFX II don't you, or will there tweaking be also necessary in the cab section?

But I can also connect the Matrix Poweramp to my regular guitar cabinets right? By tweaking you mean the preamp and poweramp section on the AxeFX II don't you, or will there tweaking be also necessary in the cab section?

Of course you can connect it to your guitar cab. 1/4" jack ins and outs on the back . By tweaking, I mean EQ adjustments on the Axe (GEQ, power section, preamp section) to fine tune the Matrix's response to guitar frequencies. I personally tweak the cab section also because I use my rig with the cab sims ON (which is easier to do with the Matrix than the VHT).

Last edited:
Of course you can connect it to your guitar cab. 1/4" jack ins and outs on the back . By tweaking, I mean EQ adjustments on the Axe (GEQ, power section, preamp section) to fine tune the Matrix's response to guitar frequencies. I personally tweak the cab section also because I use my rig with the cab sims ON (which is easier to do with the Matrix than the VHT).

Thx for the information. But will I have to do those adjustments too with lets say the Fryette 2:90:2?

No. You dont HAVE to do any adjustments, The matrix sounds great with any sound. however, you will have tweeked your current patches on a certain reproduction method. For me it was the 2:50:2, for Smilefan its the 2:90:2, for Claxor it was the SLA-2. You cant expect a different amp solution to give exactly the same results. if you want the same results you'll have to tweek your patches with the new amp. You might find you prefer the sounds you get with a new amp - or maybe not.

No. You dont HAVE to do any adjustments, The matrix sounds great with any sound. however, you will have tweeked your current patches on a certain reproduction method. For me it was the 2:50:2, for Smilefan its the 2:90:2, for Claxor it was the SLA-2. You cant expect a different amp solution to give exactly the same results. if you want the same results you'll have to tweek your patches with the new amp. You might find you prefer the sounds you get with a new amp - or maybe not.

Ah ok I see. How do you like the Matrix compared to the 2:50:2? I also heard people saying that if you are using poweramp without tubes there will be a lack of warmth, what can you say about that?

Back
Top Bottom