Amp Shootout: Matrix GT800FX vs. VHT 2/90/2

Okay. Then I will have to look into the Matrix. One big bonus is, I don't have to replace tubes anymore :)

The Matrix is the equal of the VHT's. It has a slightly different vibe. In general, the Matrix sounds even better than VHT's for metal styles and cleans with alot of effects. VHT's are more naturally suited to classic blues/rock/pop sounds, but they can replicate eachother (Claxor and I couldn't tell the diff. live at volume) with the right tweakage on the Axe.

I dont understand what brand of cabs you were using, just open back pine 2x12s?
:)
Great review, really want to get a cab rather than monitor for my axe..
Cheers

I dont understand what brand of cabs you were using, just open back pine 2x12s?
:)
Great review, really want to get a cab rather than monitor for my axe..
Cheers

Two 2x12 cabs I had in my vast gear pile when I first got the Axe, that stood out as sounding
the best with it. One is a Bruno, one is a TruTone, both about the same size (both open
back pine construction). Just these two is all I use (unless I'm travelling). With
four EVM 12L Classics, they can get impossibly loud if I need it. If you are wanting
to maximize the "amp-in-room" response of the Axe (which it wasn't designed to produce,
by the way), then using power amp/guitar cab vs. FRFR seems to be the prevailing
consensus.

Last edited:
No. You dont HAVE to do any adjustments, The matrix sounds great with any sound. however, you will have tweeked your current patches on a certain reproduction method. For me it was the 2:50:2, for Smilefan its the 2:90:2, for Claxor it was the SLA-2. You cant expect a different amp solution to give exactly the same results. if you want the same results you'll have to tweek your patches with the new amp. You might find you prefer the sounds you get with a new amp - or maybe not.

Paul- I never owned an ART SLA-2... My comparison was with an Engl Powerball's power section.

Ahh OK. someone A/Bd it with the Art. I know DADA did but that was with FRFR speakers, but someone A/Bd the SLA and Matrix with guitar cabs. And someone with a Marshall 20/20 as well.

It's actually over $850 shipped with today's exchange rate. :shock

I got my invoice from Matrix, and the bill to ship a new GT800 to Los Angeles, CA was $813, as info. Since this was less than half what I paid for my VHT (not even counting what the NOS tubes were worth), I am happy with this. I've heard too many bad reports about the reliability of American power amps like ART and Stewart World. I need an amp I can travel with and be 100% reliable. The cost is worth to me the expected performance of the unit. A 400W per side amp that sounds as good as my old VHT, weighs 8 lbs, one rack space, and only 8 inches deep. I'll pay 8 bills for that. I will be updating concerning its road performance once it arrives.

Last edited:
Happy day! Just got the word from Matrix that my brand new GT800 shipped today!
Now just need an Axe II to give it a purpose in life.

I have one of Carvin's DCM1000 units, as well as a DCM200L and haven't noticed any high-end deterioration. They seem to be fairly flat amps. If you'd notice any lack of response, it would most likely be in the low end, which requires more power. If there's anything a switcher can deliver, it's power. High end is easy, given proper transducers. However, the human ear is not flat. That's why you hear about the Fletcher-Munson curve all the time. Good sound guys are familiar with it, but guitarists usually aren't because most of their sound sits fairly low in the curve. But, the devil is in the details, which is why FRFR speakers are popular with modellers.

Back
Top Bottom