how should i power my new axe ultra for home use

redbud

Inspired
hi i am thinking about selling all my gear(mesa mark 4 with g system dr z airbrake and various pedals) in order to purchase an axe fx ultra.

i do not play out only jam with my brother in the garage sometimes so mostly i am playing alone at low volumes.

i have a few questions.

1. how should i power the axe? studio monitors, active wedges or what.

i would like to go with something small and light that can easily be carried to the garage and into the house so i don't have to leave 4000 dollars worth of gear sitting on my garage floor anymore.

2. does the axe really sound that good so that it can replace all my gear.

thank you for your help

1 - depends on your needs. I prefer working with studio monitors over any other monitors. Live, I use a powered monitor that I carry. Studio monitors do you no good for live use.
2 - yes. But only you can make that call, so it's simply personal preference.

my needs are simple.

superior tone at less than gig levels.

i am seriously thinking about a set of Adam a7x. any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

i don't believe that i would need any thing more than that.

my brother will be playing a mesa reverb rocket with my drz airbrake when we jam so it will not be that loud.

i will never play with a drummer and if i do i can get a power amp later

I have the ADAM A7X's and they are great. I'm a bedroom (or more accurately a "couch") player and I have no complaints. The only thing I'm curious about is whether the Atomics would sound better. I have no interest in recording, so it's all about "in the room".

Outside of that, you can't go wrong with the A7X's.

Studio monitors are the way to go in the home I think.
You can usually get a bi-amped design like the Adam or Dynaudio products and they sound really good.

With stereo power amps and separate speakers you usually end up with more power than you need in the home and as you ramp up the power with these products you can get some tonal compromises unless you step into serious money power amps.

The various 50w a side+ tube power amps (VHT, Engl, Mesa) are pretty much useless in the house- unless enjoy hearing a fan running at roughly the same level you play at.
The Atomic has a fan as well, although not as loud- and positioned behind the cab.

I have a set of Dynaudio BM6a's that I've had for more than 10 years now.
They have never needed a service, or a spare part in that time and sound really excellent.

Also with regards to question 2, you can try out the Axe for 2 weeks. If it doesn't suit you, or tick all your boxes then send it back. Nothing lost, no harm no foul!! You've still got your gear but it does mean getting the funds before selling any of your stuff.

Not to slightly hijack this thread, but remain on-topic sort of...

I'd probably be happy with quality studio monitors at home, but I worry about them getting damaged in the cone, etc. because the better monitors have their cones exposed to the listener. Which is why I was focusing on buying floor wedges instead. Is there any way to protect nice studio monitors so that they are more durable?

I'd probably be happy with quality studio monitors at home, but I worry about them getting damaged in the cone, etc. because the better monitors have their cones exposed to the listener. Which is why I was focusing on buying floor wedges instead. Is there any way to protect nice studio monitors so that they are more durable?

Nothing easy comes to mind.
You could put a grill over them but you'd have to machine one and fit it.

Guess if I want durability and a metal grill, I'll need some good quality wedge monitors instead...

that is my thought as well because i would be taking them outside to jam in the summer time also.
i was thinking of making a hard shell case for them

so what other options would i have that would have more protection than studio monitors?

Do the atomic reactors sound good at low volumes?

or a verve 8ma? how do they sound at low volume?

or could i just get a rack-mount case big enough to fit 2 studio monitors in for transport?

I tried everything and chose a pair of Atomic cabs. I swear I never sounded better. I have the Adams you mention and also have available to me a set of high end Genelecs. I positively enjoy the Atomic far more because it is not an in-your face sound.

Any FRFR speaker that sounds good at high volume will sound good at low volume. You won't quite get the same sustain and feel as you do at high volume, but that's true no matter what you're using for amplification.

In your face because they're up at ear level... literally IN your face. It's not the same as having an amp on the floor behind you, or even having it up on a table but 6 ft. away. My nearfield monitors are placed "near"... where nearfields typically sit.

The Atomics are AWESOME at low level and mid level. They need a little help when it gets really loud but if you'r smart you can EQ for more perceived loudness (also taking out low lows seems to let them work harder in the places where you want a guitar to "sit".

As for low levels... a little Fletcher Munson knowledge goes a long way... I saw a smart post here about using OUT1 and OUT2 with different global EQ settings for loud and quiet.

man too many choices!

WHAT DO I DO?

guess it is good to have choices.

for now i think i may go for Adam a7x just for easy of carry because i play on my back porch in the summer alot.

maybe latter down the road i can get some atomic reactors for the garage if i have the money

well today i brought all my gear in from the garage and cleaned it up to sell on ebay.

and after playing for an hour i cant sell.

it just sounds too beautiful to part with and i am skeptical that digital modeling can give me the sustain and controllable feedback of my mesa mark 4

so i am building a very well insulated sound room in the basement so i wont wake the family at night hehe

Back
Top Bottom