FM9 Firmware Version 5.01

On pretty much all fractal devices I've used (except the fm9), the purpose of the initial value setting is to ignore the resistance value reading on the connector on system boot up and preset changes, and continue to do so until the value changes.
Having a pedal connected or not, or the presence of a pull down resistor shouldn't change anything cuz that's a software function.

The issue here is that the fm9 does that correctly when changing presets but doesn't on boot up, unlike all other devices, and this has nothing to do with hardware design otherwise it wouldn't work on preset changes either.
You've pretty much summed it up.

Actually, I think the pull-down resistor has been put there to improve an issue that was present on the ax8 (and probably all hardware of the same gen), where the connection was left 'floating' when no pedal was connected and this caused tiny changes in the value read on the jack which triggered it to casually jump off the set initial value.
Yup. This is what "pull" resistors have been doing for 100 years.

The pull-down resistor should just make the reading stable and avoid this issue, and be the equivalent of having a (non-moving) pedal connected.
Can't be done. On a floating connection, a pull-up or pull-down resistor will pull the voltage up or down until it hits the power voltage or ground. There's no way around it.

Can't be done. On a floating connection, a pull-up or pull-down resistor will pull the voltage up or down until it hits the power voltage or ground. There's no way around it.
Sorry, I don't get what you're saying in this last bit. What can't be done?

Sorry, I don't get what you're saying in this last bit. What can't be done?
A pull-down or pull-up resistor can’t “...just make the reading stable and avoid this issue, and be the equivalent of having a (non-moving) pedal connected.”

There’s still work to do on the gapless switching. There’s a fair amount of bugs been reported on the current Axe III beta.

Makes perfect sense that they would sort out the majority of any bugs with gapless switching on the Axe III firmware before including it in new firmware for their other devices, e.g. FM9. Fewer fixes required across multiple firmware versions that way.

Last edited:
A pull-down or pull-up resistor can’t “...just make the reading stable and avoid this issue, and be the equivalent of having a (non-moving) pedal connected.”
Care to explain why it can't according to you? Cuz it seems in contradiction with your following sentence "On a floating connection, a pull-up or pull-down resistor will pull the voltage up or down until it hits the power voltage or ground".

After the voltage on the floating/measurement connection hits the power voltage or ground, it simply stays there and doesn't float anymore afaik, thus making the reading stable and equivalent to a fully turned up or down potentiometer. I think that's the whole purpose of that resistor.

And I'm not even sure that there's a resistor or whether it's necessary, it could very well be a switching jack that shunts the measurement pin to V+ or ground when nothing is plugged in.

Care to explain why it can't according to you? Cuz it seems in contradiction with your following sentence "On a floating connection, a pull-up or pull-down resistor will pull the voltage up or down until it hits the power voltage or ground".

After the voltage on the floating/measurement connection hits the power voltage or ground, it simply stays there and doesn't float anymore afaik, thus making the reading stable and equivalent to a fully turned up or down potentiometer. I think that's the whole purpose of that resistor.

And I'm not even sure that there's a resistor or whether it's necessary, it could very well be a switching jack that shunts the measurement pin to V+ or ground when nothing is plugged in.
Sure. What you described is the equivalent of having a pedal at toe-up or toe- down. It's not just keeping the value stable; it's keeping the value stable at a very specific setting.

If you have your wah plugged in and toe up when you turn the unit on it should start at 0% correctly on boot. With nothing connected to the expression pedal input, the behavior has always been to treat it as 100%. IIRC there's a pull-up resistor that's in play when there's no pedal connected to the jack.
Doesn't PC Reset play into this too though?

PC Reset sets the value for an external source when a preset first loads. This allows you to override the actual position of an external controller until it is moved or updated. To set the default value: after applying the modifier, exit to the Edit page. Notice that the value of that parameter can be edited as usual. If PC Reset is ON, the value you set and then save will be used from preset load until the source is changed (i.e. the pedal has been moved).

Sure. What you described is the equivalent of having a pedal at toe-up or toe- down. It's not just keeping the value stable; it's keeping the value stable at a very specific setting.
I don't know why you assumed I was talking about arbitrary settings and not one of those two specific settings.
And anyway, it doesn't really matter what's the particular setting (aka voltage on the measurement pin) since the initial value setting (which is purely software) could be made to work with pretty much any voltage reading, as long as it remains stable (and yes, that could be made too with two resistors forming a voltage divider).

Or maybe you're just very picky cuz I didn't write "at a very specific setting"... but that was implicit :sweatsmile:

I don't know why you assumed I was talking about arbitrary settings and not one of those two specific settings.
And anyway, it doesn't really matter what's the particular setting (aka voltage on the measurement pin) since the initial value setting (which is purely software) could be made to work with pretty much any voltage reading, as long as it remains stable (and yes, that could be made too with two resistors forming a voltage divider).

Or maybe you're just very picky cuz I didn't write "at a very specific setting"... but that was implicit :sweatsmile:
I'm an engineer, trained and tested in the crucible. Precision is everything. You should see how hard I am on myself when I fall short of the mark.

Last edited:
I had to roll back to 5.0 as I was getting massive amounts of digital distortion when re-amping through spdif on 5.01 I use both spidf in and out for re-amping. No other signs of problems aside from that. All is good again on 5.0. I did try a reboot of both my pc and the fm9 before backing out.

I had to roll back to 5.0 as I was getting massive amounts of digital distortion when re-amping through spdif on 5.01 I use both spidf in and out for re-amping. No other signs of problems aside from that. All is good again on 5.0. I did try a reboot of both my pc and the fm9 before backing out.
Maybe try downloading and installing again? Release Notes don't seem to indicate any changes that are related...

Great thanks!
Will the gapless Preset, Scene and Channel change from the AxeFx III 23 Beta also be possible for the FM9 in the future?
For someone who has been performing live with a Boss GT-100 for over 10 years, the scene switching latency of the FM9 is quite challenging to accept. I really need gapless switching.
Of course, I'm currently using a clean tone amp with a single drive block and an high-gain amp for gapless switching. However, what I really desire is to use different amps to achieve a low-gain effect, and even high-gain amps.
It seems like I might need three different amps to meet my requirements if I can't change scene in gapless....

For someone who has been performing live with a Boss GT-100 for over 10 years, the scene switching latency of the FM9 is quite challenging to accept. I really need gapless switching.
Of course, I'm currently using a clean tone amp with a single drive block and an high-gain amp for gapless switching. However, what I really desire is to use different amps to achieve a low-gain effect, and even high-gain amps.
It seems like I might need three different amps to meet my requirements if I can't change scene in gapless....
Just to be clear, it's an audio gap, not latency...

I have played several gigs with my Fm9T since I got it around Dec of last year. It sounded great and did the job well. I must say, however, that the difference in audio gap between the Fm9T and the Af3mkiiT is just too much. I may end up selling the fm9T to get another Af3mkiiT. I love the convenience of it, but it is a drag. I am really holding out to see if gapless makes it over before I decide. For now it is a great rehearsal tool and backup just in case something happens. It has not gotten much use, I hate to say.

I have played several gigs with my Fm9T since I got it around Dec of last year. It sounded great and did the job well. I must say, however, that the difference in audio gap between the Fm9T and the Af3mkiiT is just too much. I may end up selling the fm9T to get another Af3mkiiT. I love the convenience of it, but it is a drag. I am really holding out to see if gapless makes it over before I decide. For now it is a great rehearsal tool and backup just in case something happens. It has not gotten much use, I hate to say.
Took me a second to figure out what Af3mkiiT meant - that is quite an acronym.

I would definitely be patient on this one, unless you have a time sensitive deal to buy an Af3mkiiT at a really good price.

Took me a second to figure out what Af3mkiiT meant - that is quite an acronym.

I would definitely be patient on this one, unless you have a time sensitive deal to buy an Af3mkiiT at a really good price.
I've been holding on to it since december of last year. I am really hoping it works out. I realize that it won't likely be as gapless as the big brother, with the CPU difference being what it is. As long as it is significant, I'm in. In a perfect world I would keep both. My original plan was to use the rack for the bigger/important gigs, and the fm9 for the smaller stage/short set/rehearsal scenarios. The CPU you get back from using cablab 4 ir multiple mic blends more than makes up for what the gapless eats up.

Reactions: rog
Back
Top Bottom