Axe-Fx III Firmware 22.01 Release

No criticism implied, but are we done with AXE FX III firmware updates? Nothing in 2 months, which, historically, is a long time between updates. Should we be looking for the AXE FX IV?
There’s no way. I’ve always thought, how can it get better than this. It always does. If it doesn’t, I sure don’t care. Incredible product.

No criticism implied, but are we done with AXE FX III firmware updates? Nothing in 2 months, which, historically, is a long time between updates. Should we be looking for the AXE FX IV?
There’s no IV coming soon, according to a recent post by the Fractal folks (don’t have the link). Just improvements to the III and family. They’re probably perfecting warp drive — w/Heisenberg compensators (need those) — before releasing a IV.

There’s no IV coming soon, according to a recent post by the Fractal folks (don’t have the link). Just improvements to the III and family. They’re probably perfecting warp drive — w/Heisenberg compensators (need those) — before releasing a IV.
The only thing that would be improved upon with a IV would be the UI and the front panel being touch screen or adding capacitive knobs on the unit or foot switches. I think any sound quality or DSP improvements would fall under diminishing returns.

There it is again”… “Is the IV coming out soon?” add nauseam. Geez, really?
Who the hell wants to buy a new modeler every year and tweak for months? Not me.
What happened to the good old days of buying gear (with no updates) and working with what you got… oh, and practicing?
Sure… Fractal is a game changer, this is one of several reasons I jumped on board in 2007, and I’m on my 3rd generation. But personally, I don’t want to tweak my sounds every week or two with new updates. I know some do… but if you don’t have enough to work with now, and still can’t dial up some righteous tones… well, I don’t know what to say. I’m sure something new will get added. Have patience, maybe create something inspiring with your tone generator (aka Fractal) while letting FAS do what they’ve done since the beginning. That’s what I’ll do. YMMV

Maybe the IV could be a neural implant that can simulate any tone you imagine, from birds to piano to drums to your favorite Vox tone. Just play your guitar and "imagine" a preset/tone and there it is.

Is this coming out soon?

Fractal just released Dyna-Cabs, and already said additional cabs were in the queue. Cliff said they take a lot of work, so perhaps that's keeping him busy.

I think if Fractal was going to shelve development of the FX3, they'd be up-front about it and say so. Their past behavior was to continue supporting units after they'd announced a replacement, so why would they change now?

After looking at the firmware releases for the FX3 here's a little summary starting from March 14, 2018 to date:

1693507474682.png

If other companies had that sort of responsiveness their customers would be ecstatic, but here? This sort of question… sigh.

Last edited:
Fractal just released Dyna-Cabs, and already said additional cabs were in the queue. Cliff said they take a lot of work, so perhaps that's keeping him busy.

I think if Fractal was going to shelve development of the FX3, they'd be up-front about it and say so. Their past behavior was to continue supporting units after they'd announced a replacement, so why would they change now?

After looking at the firmware releases for the FX3 here's a little summary starting from March 14, 2018 to date:

View attachment 126029

If other companies had that sort of responsiveness their customers would be ecstatic, but here? This sort of question… sigh.

This makes me almost as hopeful for Tirmware Tuesday!

The lack of any Sunday releases is immediately making me think of When Harry Met Sally:

Sally Albright : Well, if you must know, it was because he was very jealous, and I had these days of the week underpants.

Harry Burns : Ehhhh. I'm sorry. I need the judges ruling on this. "Days of the weeks underpants"?

Sally Albright : Yes. They had the days of the week on them, and I thought they were sort of funny. And then one day Sheldon says to me, "You never wear Sunday." It was all suspicious. Where was Sunday? Where had I left Sunday? And I told him, and he didn't believe me.

Harry Burns : What?

Sally Albright : They don't make Sunday.

Harry Burns : Why not?

Sally Albright : Because of God.

Nine days on average between FWs is lower than expected, even for Fractal. Does this include all the different betas which were sometimes only hours apart, or just the final releases?

Regarding updates in general, the II got updates long after the III was released (for roughly 1.5 years IIRC). So I wouldn't expect the III to be "done" even if the IV were to be announced or released right now. Not sure what they could improve anyways, the main improvements I can think of - not that I need them - are just generic generational upgrades such as more power in a smaller form factor (which probably requires TI to tapeout new DSP chips first), and small QoL stuff for using the Axe as an audio interface.

Nine days on average between FWs is lower than expected, even for Fractal. Does this include all the different betas which were sometimes only hours apart, or just the final releases?
It’s private and public beta releases for the FX3 only. Skipping private testing releases would not accurately reflect the true output. Adding in the releases for the other two platforms would more accurately reflect the overall company output. I should actually add in the Edit releases and USB and Windows drivers. They’re incredibly good developers, very prolific, and people have no clue.

Back
Top Bottom