Wireless system for FM3

I've been using the Line 6 G30 and have been pretty happy. I don't notice any tone suck (unless I turn on the cable emulation) and it is pretty robust. I did just do a gig with it that for some reason it would drop out if I walked off stage. I never did figure it out but assumed it was some interference. It was an outdoor gig, so a little weird.
OK, so I have to add an update to this. I mentioned that I was getting interference at my last outdoor gig. Well last night I used it at a club gig and couldn't even get through sound check with it. It was dropping out about every 30 seconds and I was standing right next to it. I tried a couple of channels and couldn't resolve it. I ended up just going wired for the gig.

Anyway, needless to say, I'll be upgrading from the G30 soon.

OK, so I have to add an update to this. I mentioned that I was getting interference at my last outdoor gig. Well last night I used it at a club gig and couldn't even get through sound check with it. It was dropping out about every 30 seconds and I was standing right next to it. I tried a couple of channels and couldn't resolve it. I ended up just going wired for the gig.

Anyway, needless to say, I'll be upgrading from the G30 soon.

If you can deal with the rack formfactor, then try out the EWD-C1 for sure. We just got one of those tacky Asus WIFI6 gaming routers. We have 20 or so devices on 2.4ghz, and 10ish on 5ghz.

TLDR my massive review.

• Gen 1 GLXD had no chance.
  • Gen 2 GLXD tried really hard, but was also crushed by the weight of the gaming router :)
  • SLX-D worked fine connection wise, but it just felt wierd/floaty to play. Tone was off, severe tampering with the high end.

- EWD-C1

PRO:

- Incredible connection no drop outs even 2 stories up. Doesn't care about my ugly router.

- Bluetooth app receiver control and firmware updates are amazing. You will wonder how you lived without it :)

- Tone tampering is minimal vs the other units I've tried. Slight loss of "fullness", but the top end is retained very well and cleaning up with volume works great!

CON:

- I've had trouble dialing in "unity gain" since there is receiver and transmitter gain. You can only adjust it in 6db or 3db increments so I found it difficult to match to a cable. Maybe future firmware will add 1db steps.

- If you are a tone cork-sniffer, there is a change to the low end that you will probably not like. The GLX systems sound fuller, but lacks a bit of top end sparkle that the EWD has.

- Getting really picky, the soft antenna on the transmitter is a awkward. Just not sure how I would pack it up without it potentially getting folded and damaged.

- Biggest for me is formfactor. If you are running a rack already no drama get this 100%. If you have a mini pedalboard like me, well I'm still trying to find out a way to connect it. Working on some mockup boards that have a half rack space underneath.

- Rechargeable battery kit is separate/extra. This should be included.

- Getting REALLY picky here, you have to open the battery compartment to re-pair after scanning for a channel. Meaning if you are all wired up, 1000 people roll in, and you want to scan for clean channel, you have to pull the transmitter out of the pouch open the battery door and press the sync button. We are really reaching here, but the GLXD was totally automatic.

Most of these are not CONS but I'm VERY picky with gear so figured I would share my experiences. Guess it really comes down to if you want convenience or reliability. Can't have both yet it seems :)

If you can deal with the rack formfactor, then try out the EWD-C1 for sure. We just got one of those tacky Asus WIFI6 gaming routers. We have 20 or so devices on 2.4ghz, and 10ish on 5ghz.

TLDR my massive review.

• Gen 1 GLXD had no chance.
  • Gen 2 GLXD tried really hard, but was also crushed by the weight of the gaming router :)
  • SLX-D worked fine connection wise, but it just felt wierd/floaty to play. Tone was off, severe tampering with the high end.

- EWD-C1

PRO:

- Incredible connection no drop outs even 2 stories up. Doesn't care about my ugly router.

- Bluetooth app receiver control and firmware updates are amazing. You will wonder how you lived without it :)

- Tone tampering is minimal vs the other units I've tried. Slight loss of "fullness", but the top end is retained very well and cleaning up with volume works great!

CON:

- I've had trouble dialing in "unity gain" since there is receiver and transmitter gain. You can only adjust it in 6db or 3db increments so I found it difficult to match to a cable. Maybe future firmware will add 1db steps.

- If you are a tone cork-sniffer, there is a change to the low end that you will probably not like. The GLX systems sound fuller, but lacks a bit of top end sparkle that the EWD has.

- Getting really picky, the soft antenna on the transmitter is a awkward. Just not sure how I would pack it up without it potentially getting folded and damaged.

- Biggest for me is formfactor. If you are running a rack already no drama get this 100%. If you have a mini pedalboard like me, well I'm still trying to find out a way to connect it. Working on some mockup boards that have a half rack space underneath.

- Rechargeable battery kit is separate/extra. This should be included.

- Getting REALLY picky here, you have to open the battery compartment to re-pair after scanning for a channel. Meaning if you are all wired up, 1000 people roll in, and you want to scan for clean channel, you have to pull the transmitter out of the pouch open the battery door and press the sync button. We are really reaching here, but the GLXD was totally automatic.

Most of these are not CONS but I'm VERY picky with gear so figured I would share my experiences. Guess it really comes down to if you want convenience or reliability. Can't have both yet it seems :)
The EW500 G4 line has a product that has a transmitter and a portable receiver (EK500 G4) that is basically the same form-factor as the transmitter. The portable receiver is very easy to mount to a pedalboard. It‘s smaller than most pedals to begin with. It’s Analog tech, but it’s solid and sounds good.

-Aaron

Edit - maybe something like the EW-DP EK might work? Super tiny and compatible with the EW-D transmitters.
https://en-us.sennheiser.com/ew-dp-ek

Last edited:
OK - the short review - works great, has a lot of great features and the latency did not bother me. It did sound different even with my adjusting the gain on the pedal and using my full instrument cable to try and replicate the impedance of a 15' cable that I'm used to. I'll spend some time with it this week and then maybe make a video.

I know everyone's experience will be different, but I'm about 40 shows into using the Line 6 G50 and I've never had a problem. Large stages, small stages. Inside and outside. Not one dropout. I've not owned any other wireless systems so I don't have anything to compare it to. But for me, this works well.

I know everyone's experience will be different, but I'm about 40 shows into using the Line 6 G50 and I've never had a problem. Large stages, small stages. Inside and outside. Not one dropout. I've not owned any other wireless systems so I don't have anything to compare it to. But for me, this works well.
Yeah. I had a G90 which I LOVED. Local wifi regulations forced me to change unit. But sound-wise and range and so forth - brilliant.

i'm a Lekato WS-50 player with a Line6 g50 as my backup....5.8k is so much better than 2.4
have had mine a few yrs now. love it. kind of surprised how well they work. when other guys in the band experience connectivity/interference issues...it's solely their problem. havent had a single issue. A/B'd it w a patch cord. dont notice any tonal changes. last, in setting up my new fm9 input trim, i didnt need to make any changes for wireless vs cable. overall very happy.

only improvements i can think of would be:

1. ability to pair two transmitters to one receiver

2. more battery capacity. to be clear, it has plenty to get through a gig, but i can easily practice for 6hrs+. it cant last as long as i can play. i hardly fault them for this. id buy again.

have had mine a few yrs now. love it. kind of surprised how well they work. when other guys in the band experience connectivity/interference issues...it's solely their problem. havent had a single issue. A/B'd it w a patch cord. dont notice any tonal changes. last, in setting up my new fm9 input trim, i didnt need to make any changes for wireless vs cable. overall very happy.

only improvements i can think of would be:

1. ability to pair two transmitters to one receiver

2. more battery capacity. to be clear, it has plenty to get through a gig, but i can easily practice for 6hrs+. it cant last as long as i can play. i hardly fault them for this. id buy again.
100% to everything you've said. i have a Cioks 7 underneath my board, and keep the Lekato-provided USB permanently attached to power the receiver when needed. such a great device :)

still have my G50 from 6 years ago (?) and yes it still works great. the issue for me is the pack and the receiver base being so large compared to the smaller fobs that are available today YMMV...but functionally the G50 is awesome

I have Boss Wl60, Line 6 G30 and G90 and never had any issues with any of those units
If you play enough venues that are wi-fi crowded, eventually you will.
I've had a G30 on my pedalboard for years and 99% of the time it's great...packed hotel ballrooms located downtown with thousands of folks in multiple venues brought it to it's knees once or twice...no biggie...I use a cord for those rare times.

Xvivi U2 - great value for money came out top in a guitar mag shootout. No tone / volume drop and used it for 7 hours without recharging.

NUX C-5RC 5G for guitars here (with switchable "cable tone", a 10db per octave high end rolloff starting at 2K, and a remote charging dock), Xvive 2.4Ghz's for all IEM's, all working well.
Are you running a digital mixer with wifi control? We were using two Xvive U2s (me and bassist) and had serious dropouts on the controlling laptop for the mixer. That's with Asus wifi, not the mixer's internal. Actually we also couldn't approach each other or one of us would be dropping out. Other than that, the Xvives were awesome. No signal or tone degradation.

I went to a UHF set, only available at Thomann:
https://www.thomann.de/nl/the_t.bone_giga_pro_pedal_set.htm
I also have a 5.2Gb set but it isn't as sturdy so I don't use it much: https://www.thomann.de/nl/harley_benton_airborne_pro_5.8ghz_instrument.htm

Love them. Although the t,bone is pretty big and heavy and uses 12V 1A so it needs a separate PS. But I can set up the volumes and cable response for different output guitars so that's awesome for me.

Are you running a digital mixer with wifi control? We were using two Xvive U2s (me and bassist) and had serious dropouts on the controlling laptop for the mixer. That's with Asus wifi, not the mixer's internal. Actually we also couldn't approach each other or one of us would be dropping out. Other than that, the Xvives were awesome. No signal or tone degradation.
Yes (the Soundcraft stage mixer is typically at 2.4Ghz, but we have a external 5G option if needed depending on the venue), and no problems with the Xvive's so far (that's two 2.4Ghz Xvives for bass and guitar IEM's as the drummer is cabled). The basses are cabled, and the various guitars have three wireless units available depending on the venue (UHF, or 2.4Ghz, or 5G).

No issues with the Xvives so far, and we've always been able to get the Mixer WiFi working at either 2.4Ghz or 5G depending on the venue.

Quick question for all of you GLXD+ users. It sounds like the power demands for the GLXD16+ is 400mA. The power supply I am using has a max of 300mA (two ports). How are you powering yours on your board if you are using it? Are you running the native power adapter or are you able to use a pedalboard power supply?

Quick question for all of you GLXD+ users. It sounds like the power demands for the GLXD16+ is 400mA. The power supply I am using has a max of 300mA (two ports). How are you powering yours on your board if you are using it? Are you running the native power adapter or are you able to use a pedalboard power supply?

I used the Voodoo x4, 400ma per outlet, also used the Zuma, 500ma per outlet, and then the CIOKS... 600ma @ 9v per outlet I think?

The few times I plugged in the wrong power for the Gen1, it went on the fritz so I would defiantly recommend pushing the proper MA to it. Nearly all of the power supplies these days allow you to daisy chain as AlexMania said.

Most power supplies come with Y pigtail adapters that are wired in parallel so the amperage is added. When in series, the voltage is added. In other words, two 9V 300ma taps in parallel will give you 9V and 600ma (good for a GLX). Wired in series, you'll get 18V at 300ma. Just make sure you RTFM of your power supply, get the appropriate cables, and you should be good to go.

Back
Top Bottom