Wimbledon on ESPN

ESPN is the worst. I enjoy watching golf and they have made it almost unbearable with commercials. 3-4 minutes of golf, 5 minutes of commercials. It's ubsurd.

A truly magnificent amount and variety of commercials. Breaking them up with the occasional few points of tennis is a nice touch.
And on top of it they frequently return to the tennis after one or two points into the next game. Infuriating.

And when, oh when, will they finally introduce routine electronic shot-calling?

I'm always bummed out when my NBA games are on ESPN. Gambling has made sports worse and ESPN really likes to talk about gambling. And their commentators are all about hot takes for clicks... It's embarrassing that I get better basketball coverage from YouTubers.

ESPN? How about YouTube?” If you haven’t signed up for their “track me” option, the commercials start about 30 seconds into the program.

I’m going to start a channel on YouTube that plays 100% commercials.

Give an occasional hint about upcoming programming but never actually play any.

Seems to be where we are headed, I’ll just get there first.

ESPN? How about YouTube?” If you haven’t signed up for their “track me” option, the commercials start about 30 seconds into the program.
I use Adblock Plus and haven't seen ads on YouTube in years.

A truly magnificent amount and variety of commercials. Breaking them up with the occasional few points of tennis is a nice touch.
My favorites are the commercials during the halftime interviews. They invite some legend to the studio, pay him/her a lot of dough, have him/her in make up for over an hour and then it’s halftime:

Host: “What do you think, could still go either way, right?”
Legend: “Yes.”

First commercial break.

Host: “I expect to see some changes, don’t you think?”
Legend: “Yes, I think…”
Host: “Sorry, we have to go to a commercial break.

Second commercial break.

Host: “We’re going back to the field right now, any predictions?”
Legend: “Well, maybe they….”

Game starts again.

Or is that just in The Netherlands?

We're somewhat lucky in the UK it's broadcast on the BBC which has no commercials, but we do pay for it via the licence fee. Even other commercially run channels are restricted in the number of ads they can run. "The total amount of advertising in any one day must not exceed an average of seven minutes per hour of broadcasting." It's a bit of a philosophical question on whether you approve or not, unfettered capitalism vs govt restrictions etc. In the UK there's a lot on both sides.

For the slams, for our family, it's worth it to pony up the $10 (or $20 bundled with Hulu & Disney) to get ESPN+ live and recorded feeds of pretty much every match. Except for the very top matches, it's a continuous feed of the entire match with no cutaways at all for commercials.

And you can share passwords with others, at least for now.

Back
Top Bottom