3rd party Dyna-Cab packs = Axe IV is coming?

axes

Experienced
Interested in your opinions.
Not too long ago I've speculated how external Dyna-Cab packs will be installed since the current method for installing Dyna-Cabs is definitely something that was implemented after the fact, meaning that the Axe III wasn't designed with Dyna-Cabs in mind (which is quite obvious and not suprising by any means). I still don't have a good idea of how installing third party Dyna-Cab packs will be implemented since currently installing a Dyna-Cab pack isn't additive but replaces the formerly installed pack. Not to mention how the cab picker list is very plain and basic.
And then I saw the Axe III discount post on FB where someone mentioned "last time this happened the Axe III came out shortly" and now really started wondering if an Axe IV (where Dyna-Cabs and 3rd party cab pack installation are planned and accounted for from the get-go) is something to behold in the near(er) future?
What are your thoughts?

I think there will be an Axe FX IV someday, and it will likely have more Dyna-cab related features, like more Dyna-cabs, and maybe more microphone choices, etc. I doubt it will happen any time soon though. Last time I checked there was still a waitlist for FM9's. There seems to be supply chain issues when it comes to getting all the parts they need.

Line 6 has implemented a new cab block and Kemper has even "activated" USB audio in the same "old" hardware. I doubt the new Dyna-Cabs will imply a new hardware platform. Anyway, I'll sell my FM9 the same day a Axe IV is announced if it's soon.

Fractal's Dyna-Cabs just replace everything because it makes sense for their cab packs to do so.

Nothing prevents them from having another code path that just adds new cabs. Installing 3rd party cab packs will probably involve using FractalBot to run a set of Sysex commands to install the needed data so it won't be as easy as throwing in some IR files. I hope they build some sort of management UI for it in Axe-Edit.

I don't see the Axe-Fx 3 being replaced for at least 1-2 years, maybe even more. They just released a major new feature for it (Dyna-Cabs) and are in the process of porting it to the FMx series. That could have been a major feature for their next gen platform but instead it was released for the current one.

Many of the new Axe-Fx versions have become a reality due to running into limitations. The Axe-Fx 2 was born from Axe-Fx Ultra running out of firmware space. The Axe-Fx 3 was born because Analog Devices discontinued the SHARC chips used in the Axe-Fx 2. Atm no such problems seem to be a factor and instead Fractal is facing problems with component supply and increasing prices for everything across the globe, like everyone else.

That is great news! More sales of existing units means even more fantastic additional features for existing units on the way. I have never owned any other music/audio related product that has received so much additional value and customer support after the initial sale! Thank you Cliff and the entire team including all the beta testers and experienced users who offer such great advice here.

I still don't have a good idea of how installing third party Dyna-Cab packs will be implemented since currently installing a Dyna-Cab pack isn't additive but replaces the formerly installed pack.
That was during beta as additional cabs were being captured and added.

We probably won't see that same scenario occur regularly for overwriting factory Dyna-Cabs; IIRC, Cliff said there were some additional cabs coming. I doubt 3rd party packs will be able to overwrite the factory Dyna-Cab space but will have their own space, similar to how the factory "legacy" cabs have their own space and we can install 3rd party IRs into the user Cab space.

None of that has been specified yet, but it follows the existing behavior we've already seen.

The Axe III Turbo hasn't come close to maxed out yet. Maybe a III Supercharger but I don't see a IV any time soon.

Maybe the Supercharger could model the air in the room heating up after playing for a while, beer bottle rings on the head, or your significant other yelling at you because...fill in the blank.

Is there a successor dsp chip/platform in mass production that would justify the performance increase?
I wouldn't be surprised if we've seen the last guitar multi-fx based on a specialized dsp chip. It seems to me there is a growing divergence between what these chips are designed to do these days and what a multi-fx needs.

Back
Top Bottom