3rd party Dyna-Cab packs = Axe IV is coming?

Being a former avid smoker, I judge the cost of my guitar obsession hobby by the pack-a-day smoking habit yardstick. By this yardstick, though I have amassed 10s of k$ on guitars and related gear, and though used only in my basement man-hole, and despite limited proof (as often confirmed by my wife) that said gear has actually helped to improve my playing skills in any way, guitar costs me less per annum, on average, than smoking would.

So I got that goin for me - which is nice.
Your math analysis doesn't seem to include the health costs related to smoking. That could easily add a few $K on a yearly basis, especially if you have poor health insurance and/or end up dealing with cancer or Emphysema. Not to mention the health impact of second hand smoke. Just sayin' . . .

Your math analysis doesn't seem to include the health costs related to smoking. That could easily add a few $K on a yearly basis, especially if you have poor health insurance and/or end up dealing with cancer or Emphysema. Not to mention the health impact of second hand smoke. Just sayin' . . .
you are correct sir - and thankyou for enabling increases in my obsession hobby investment even further 👍

you are correct sir - and thankyou for enabling increases in my obsession hobby investment even further 👍
Not sure if I should say it, but . . . You're welcome . . ? :)

Always looking for ways to enable my fellow GAS sufferers. I'm debating whether to purchase a P90 guitar. I don't currently have the budget for it. That hasn't stopped me in the past, though.

I narrowly avoid a "bed in the shed" with each "ahh umm no, that was there before" comment
My wife is exceptionally understanding, but I usually don't mention anything when I bring something new into the house. I just hope that she doesn't notice. She usually does, though. She just sighs while I encourage her to buy something that I know she wants.

Not sure if I should say it, but . . . You're welcome . . ? :)

Always looking for ways to enable my fellow GAS sufferers. I'm debating whether to purchase a P90 guitar. I don't currently have the budget for it. That hasn't stopped me in the past, though.

I recently purchased a Yamaha Revstar RSS02T guitar with P90 pickups. i wanted an inexpensive P90 pickup equipped guitar and did quite a bit of research, including hands-on trials at guitar stores where possible. This Yamaha guitar punches way above its weight class given the price. if you can find one at a local guitar store it might be worth giving one a try. Best of luck on your hunt.

Here's a tip for you married cats... separate bank accounts. My wife and I each have separate personal accounts for fun stuff and we're each free to save or use that money however we want. No sneaking, no arguing. We use a joint account for paychecks, house stuff and bills and such and give ourselves a monthly allowance into our personal accounts. It avoids so much crap.

Here's a tip for you married cats... separate bank accounts. My wife and I each have separate personal accounts for fun stuff and we're each free to save or use that money however we want. No sneaking, no arguing. We use a joint account for paychecks, house stuff and bills and such and give ourselves a monthly allowance into our personal accounts. It avoids so much crap.

That worked here up until the last one. Thinking of trading her in for something more pleasant, like leprosy....

I recently purchased a Yamaha Revstar RSS02T guitar with P90 pickups. i wanted an inexpensive P90 pickup equipped guitar and did quite a bit of research, including hands-on trials at guitar stores where possible. This Yamaha guitar punches way above its weight class given the price. if you can find one at a local guitar store it might be worth giving one a try. Best of luck on your hunt.
I purchased a Revstar RSP02T earlier this year. I waited about 6 months to get the guitar. The guitar that was eventually shipped to me was defective so I sent it back. It was the pro version and I did get it at a great discount. But I didn't want a problem guitar so I sent it back. I've considered buying a RSS02T, and may still do so. I actually purchased a Gibson Les Paul Special off of Craigslist that I didn't bond with, so that one has been sold. I found a Rivolta Combinata on local Craigslist, but the seller seemed like someone I wouldn't buy a guitar from, so I passed. Still waiting to figure out what to buy . . . I want Leslie West style grind. I'm not in a rush though, so we'll see what comes across my path.

I have a Knaggs Keya that has a humbucker in the bridge and a P90 in the neck. I have a Harmonic Design Z90 on order and, at this point, I'm planning on waiting until I get the Z90 to see if that guitar will work for me. The installed humbucker is a Bare Knuckles Abraxas. I really don't like that pickup, but I'm waiting to get the Z90 before I make a determination on the guitar as a whole.

But I have thought about a standard Revstar. I know that the pro is a great guitar, despite the defect in the one that I purchased. We'll see what happens . . .

People sharing accounts regardless of marital status is absolutely crazy to me.

I purchased a Revstar RSP02T earlier this year. I waited about 6 months to get the guitar. The guitar that was eventually shipped to me was defective so I sent it back. It was the pro version and I did get it at a great discount. But I didn't want a problem guitar so I sent it back. I've considered buying a RSS02T, and may still do so. I actually purchased a Gibson Les Paul Special off of Craigslist that I didn't bond with, so that one has been sold. I found a Rivolta Combinata on local Craigslist, but the seller seemed like someone I wouldn't buy a guitar from, so I passed. Still waiting to figure out what to buy . . . I want Leslie West style grind. I'm not in a rush though, so we'll see what comes across my path.

I have a Knaggs Keya that has a humbucker in the bridge and a P90 in the neck. I have a Harmonic Design Z90 on order and, at this point, I'm planning on waiting until I get the Z90 to see if that guitar will work for me. The installed humbucker is a Bare Knuckles Abraxas. I really don't like that pickup, but I'm waiting to get the Z90 before I make a determination on the guitar as a whole.

But I have thought about a standard Revstar. I know that the pro is a great guitar, despite the defect in the one that I purchased. We'll see what happens . . .
The Revstar standard pickups are not high output like some P90s I have owned in the past, however, they have enough P90 character without being screamers. I think the fit very nicely right between a 1950s Telecaster pickup and a 1960s Les Paul humbucker pickup. I was able to buy the Revstar for $700 delivered, at that price I thought it was worth trying. It turned out to be a a very good guitar at a great value for me. Best of luck on your quest to find a P90 equipped guitar and happy music making!

Last edited:
The Revstar standard pickups are not high output like some P90s I have owned in the past, however, they have enough P90 character without being screamers. I think the fit very nicely right between a 1950s Telecaster pickup and a 1960s Les Paul humbucker pickup.

IOW, a proper vintage-sounding P90 and not the overwound kind that seems to be so easy to find. My triple P90 PRS has Fralin hum-free P90s in it - a stock wind at the bridge, a 5% underwound at the neck, and their AlNiCo one in the middle. Fat, but has clarity. The triple P90 "Noventa" Jazzmaster has Fender's P90s, which skirt the edges of too warm and wooly, as if they are trying to highlight that they aren't Fender singles....

I was able to buy the Revstar for $700 delivered, at that price I thought it was worth trying. It turned out to be a a very good guitar at a great value for me.

Glad it worked out. Maybe the other dude just got a bad one. It happens....

I purchased the “standard” version of the guitar (cheep), he had purchased the professional version (expensive). Mine was made in Indonesia, the professional is made in Japan. The cheep one made in Indonesia being well made and the expensive one made in Japan being defective is just the opposite of what one would expect since the reputation Japanese guitar builders have enjoyed for a long time is one of high quality. I also have a PRS SE Paul’s guitar that was also made in Indonesia; it is an extremely well made guitar that I purchased for less than $1.000 as well. It would appear that the Indonesian guitar builders are now able to produce quality guitars at budget prices.

Last edited:
IOW, a proper vintage-sounding P90 and not the overwound kind that seems to be so easy to find. My triple P90 PRS has Fralin hum-free P90s in it - a stock wind at the bridge, a 5% underwound at the neck, and their AlNiCo one in the middle. Fat, but has clarity. The triple P90 "Noventa" Jazzmaster has Fender's P90s, which skirt the edges of too warm and wooly, as if they are trying to highlight that they aren't Fender singles....

Yeah, the other dude (me) got a bad one. For some it was a small issue - one of the pickup mounting screws stripped out of the wood. If it was a used guitar I would have just fixed it myself. But both Yamaha and MF told me I would void my warranty unless I had the stripped wood fixed by a warranty repair place. So I drove an hour each way to have the warranty repair place do a 10 minute fix of putting Elmer's Glue in the stripped screw hole, which is what I would have done, except I would have put a toothpick in the hole as well. He just put glue in. He reattached the pickup and sent me on my merry way, with no receipt or record that he did the "work", not me. I did ask for a receipt, but the guy kind of refused. He said that I didn't need it. So I get home and I'm playing the guitar and the same screw strips out again. At that point I was fed up. I had bought the "Pro" version at the Pro version price. And I didn't want to deal with it any more. So I sent it back. Not sure if that was the right move, because the decision to send it back was based more on emotion. But even though I liked the guitar tone and how it played, it felt like a lemon and I didn't want to deal with it anymore.

I purchased a set of Wolfetone P90s for a Gibson Les Paul Special that I bought used on Craigslist after the Revstar. Even with the Wolfetone's, I didn't bond with the guitar. So I reinstalled the original pickups and moved it along. And I'm still jonesing for a P90 guitar. Gonna wait for the Z90, if I like it I'll keep the Keya J. But I'm still keeping my eye open for a deal.

I purchased the “standard” version of the guitar (cheep), he had purchased the professional version (expensive). Mine was made in Indonesia, the professional is made in Japan. The cheep one made in Indonesia being well made and the expensive one made in Japan being defective is just the opposite of what one would expect since the reputation Japanese guitar builders have enjoyed for a long time is one of high quality. I also have a PRS SE Paul’s guitar that was also made in Indonesia; it is an extremely well made guitar that I purchased for less than $1.000 as well. It would appear that the Indonesian guitar builders are now able to produce quality guitars at budget prices.
I got started on PRS via their Standard 24 SE at the $499 price point. In every metric that matters to functionality, once the nut was touched up for $15 at the shop that sold it to me, it holds its own with the USA core PRS guitars I have acquired since then. I also have the SE 245, which is the best LP style guitar I have ever owned or played. Again, $15 of nut filing out of the box and it was good. I also have a very nice Sterling Cutlass that received a neck and middle pickup upgrade from my spare parts drawer and is a great guitar for $399 (Labor Day sale last year at GC). Indonesia makes some great guitars....

Back
Top Bottom