Axe-Fx III Firmware 22.00 Public Beta #4 (Beta 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's an idea...instead of discussing the do's and don'ts of these threads ad nauseam, let's just let the thread go where it goes, like
usual, and if you think you have a bug, post it and tag Fractal Audio......I'm sure he'll see it. If it was really something, he will tell you.
Just like always....biggrin.gif If you want to skip everything else, it's really easy to just see his posts. Done deal........

If I´m correct you´re still using a static IR with new Dynacabs. Just a new set of impulses.

Totally; thanks for clarifying that. I should've called them traditional IRs instead of static, since Dyna-Cabs are still static IRs too, just many many more than would appear in any traditional set. That ability to move so subtley is all the difference in the world to me, what makes movable mic cab sims in general so awesome to me. On top of that, the captures in this set are so awesome. Many have written that they're not as mid focused as most IRs, so maybe that's why they're hitting my ears so well, or maybe it's the Neve preamp. Whatever's going on, this set of Dyna-Cabs has mojo!

Totally; thanks for clarifying that. I should've called them traditional IRs instead of static, since Dyna-Cabs are still static IRs too, just many many more than would appear in any traditional set. That ability to move so subtley is all the difference in the world to me, what makes movable mic cab sims in general so awesome to me. On top of that, the captures in this set are so awesome. Many have written that they're not as mid focused as most IRs, so maybe that's why they're hitting my ears so well, or maybe it's the Neve preamp. Whatever's going on, this set of Dyna-Cabs has mojo!
….yes but you are not hearing that neve preamp at all. Just a basic frequency response/eq curve of it…no harmonics/distortion etc so no neve mojo.

Dyna Cabs/the system and the new IRs are great though, dont get me wrong.

The AC30 used for this Dyna-Cab was provided by a customer. It's a particularly nice sounding AC30 and I think it's because of the speakers. Also, this particular AC30 has "beam blockers" both vertically and horizontally. Most AC30s just have a vertical strip. This one has a cross pattern.
I was initially a bit bummed when I saw it didn’t have the Alnico blues, but this cab sounds great! Love having my AC30 tone back. Thanks!

I haven't been up to date with any betas or the beta threads but dyna cabs seem to be the cat's meow. Curious to see if users here are finding they are /will use dyna cabs primarily in favor of thousands of IR's in our libraries? Assuming these dynacabs are as good as what is being reported i'd gladly stick to a small collection of fantastic cabs.
That is all I have been using on my Af3. I used my Fm9 for a rehearsal the other night and was bummed having to use the old IRs again, until I plugged it in. Still sounds great! The dynamic-cabs have a slightly more realistic sound and feel to them, but they all sound good. I shouldn’t let my mind get in the way. Whatever works.

Holy cow!

Here's my old Matchless preset with the old IR's:

Here's the same clip with the DynaCab IR's:

These DynaCab's are a game changer! Tried to match the overall frequency response of the old IR preset, and it took me about 20 mins to dial in 8 cabs with 3 different mics (that would have taken hours and hours of IR diving previously).

I'm hearing more clarity throughout the frequency range, more treble detail, and a touch more low-end. The old preset sounds a little "honky" to me now, haha.

It kinda sounds like the DynaCab version is in the same room and the old IR version is in the next room.

That is some darn fine P&W tone you got dialed in there! Don't suppose you'd be willing to share the Pitch Block settings you're using?

Hey, thanks guys! I'm one of those weirdo's that runs a pedalboard into the Axe III, so I'm not sure the preset would help much (just tried to attach the preset file but can't get it to attach). It's basically two DC30 EF86 channels into 4 cabs on each side. I use the Ribbon mic twice, Dynamic once and Condenser once. The two Ribbon's have slightly different placement.

I run this into the Axe. I've tried going all in, but I "play" my pedalboard and need access to the knobs quite often. View attachment 120940
Welp, this explains why I asked for your Pitch Block settings :) I haven't been able to get a good POG tone and your clips were spot on. Now I know why

The AC30 used for this Dyna-Cab was provided by a customer. It's a particularly nice sounding AC30 and I think it's because of the speakers. Also, this particular AC30 has "beam blockers" both vertically and horizontally. Most AC30s just have a vertical strip. This one has a cross pattern.
Ohhh! Mod this AC30, Sir! If possible! 😀👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽

That is some darn fine P&W tone you got dialed in there! Don't suppose you'd be willing to share the Pitch Block settings you're using?

Welp, this explains why I asked for your Pitch Block settings :) I haven't been able to get a good POG tone and your clips were spot on. Now I know why
Thanks man! I'm generally probably 50% POG mix on the upper and lower octave, with the +2/-2 octaves dialed in to taste. Where are you running your pitch block in your signal chain? I like my POG before drives 'cause I like to use it to thicken up power chords sometimes and it doesn't track quite as well after drives.
That sounds great! Were you using a bridge split, or was that just the humbucker in full mode?
Thank you! It's both coils. It's a Lollar Low Wind Imperial!

I say this as a self diagnosed class-a junkie.... these two new dyna-cabs are incredible.

Also, I'm not a p&w player, however, I dig their tones. I think those players are going to love these two dyna-cabs.
Yeah, great tone! I used to be a touring musician for several years, but the Lord pulled me out of it, and I play at church and play Praise and Worship most of the time. The way I describe P & W tone is it’s fantastic Nashville tone with generous delay and reverb haha

Thanks man! I'm generally probably 50% POG mix on the upper and lower octave, with the +2/-2 octaves dialed in to taste. Where are you running your pitch block in your signal chain? I like my POG before drives 'cause I like to use it to thicken up power chords sometimes and it doesn't track quite as well after drives.

Thank you! It's both coils. It's a Lollar Low Wind Imperial!
Oh, got ya! That makes sense with the humbucker being full coils and still getting such a chimey tone! The Thornbucker does a cool job of that. I just laid down some rhythm guitars with the matchless with an SG that has those in there and can get nice and chimey, but I can hear the Lollar low wind Imperial really gets there! Thanks for sharing the info!

Yeah, great tone! I used to be a touring musician for several years, but the Lord pulled me out of it, and I play at church and play Praise and Worship most of the time. The way I describe P & W tone is it’s fantastic Nashville tone with generous delay and reverb haha
This is such a great description!

Check out this video when you have time. I'm playing the red Strat. We just released this one a few days ago. Another guy wrote the guitar parts, but couldn't play for the live recording so my role changed on this one from EG2 to all EG's haha. There are some parts that I wish were more prominent, but overall it turned out great. This is our worship team, and the whole thing was done in-house, writing, recording, production, etc... everything except mastering.

If this is too tangential for this thread, please delete it.

Last edited:
This is such a great description!

Check out this video when you have time. I'm playing the red Strat. We just released this one a few days ago. Another guy wrote the guitar parts, but couldn't play for the live recording so my roll changed on this one from EG2 to all EG's haha. There are some parts that I wish were more prominent, but overall it turned out great. This is our worship team, and the whole thing was done in-house, writing, recording, production, etc... everything except mastering.

If this is too tangential for this thread, please delete it.

It totally works as a description for praise and worship tone, right?? Haha Glory to God! I can’t wait to try this stuff out on my Axe iii, and furthermore, can’t wait until it comes to the FM9! Great job on this! Great song! It not only looks fantastic, but sounds great sonically, and I love the lyrics too! ❤️ Great slide playing too! Thanks for sharing this!
Is this the patch you were using in the Axe Fx iii with your outboard pedalboard but with the old IRs pre Dyna Cab?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom