Freqout sim (all units) how to do it with the synth block

Has anyone got this working on the FM9? I can get the Pitch Controller to track Ok on AxeFX III, but it doesnt work/do anything on my FM9 - what am I doing wrong? Does the Pitch controller get assigned to input 1 in the settings menu somewhere?

Answered my own question - check Pitch is assigned to Input 1 in Control scene ! Doh!

1674160609458.png

The E-Bow works much better as a generator for this quad pitch trick. I didn't have as much luck using the pitch after the synth. I will post the pitch block next. Wish I could have worked the tremolo a little. It would be a little more convincing.

I used Moises to rip the original drums and bass, and ripped the acoustic and keys from another generic backing track on YT. The TV track is an old Johnny Carson clip with a young Drew Barrymore eq'd like a megaphone. I replaced both of the Satch feedback tracks with one stereo track from the FM9.

Last edited:
i thought i'd copy this here in a separate thread, so more people might see it and it's easy to link back to. it seems to be a pretty perennial topic of discussion

it only uses one block, so it'll work on the FM3

put a synth block into your preset before the amp block. i like to have it in parallel with the main line. set mix to 100% and bypass mode to "mute fx in" in case you want to bypass it

you only need to use one voice, so set voice 1 to a triangle wave, set track to "off" and shift = 7 (also try 19 which sounds great on low notes). i have the block level on mine set to about -18db, but tweak that to taste.

View attachment 114711

attach a controller to voice 1 level. this can be an expression pedal (nice, for continuous control), or it can be a control switch. i have a control switch for mine (set up as an "FC per preset override) and i have set the "attack" parameter to about 600ms and the "release" parameter to 50ms. (this is in the parameter linking window). this is to make the effect fade in gradually. i like it on a momentary switch, rather than latching. adjust the attack value to taste.

View attachment 114712

now you need to attach the pitch controller to the "frequency" parameter for voice 1. leave everything at default, except
"start" = 30.3%
"mid" = 62%
"end" = 93.7%

this makes the frequency of the synth track the pitch follower (the pitch of any note you're playing)

View attachment 114713

you may need to tweak these values, as i've come across some units that seem to be calibrated very slightly differently

hope that helps. let me know if you have any questions

quick demo

Very cool!

i thought i'd copy this here in a separate thread, so more people might see it and it's easy to link back to. it seems to be a pretty perennial topic of discussion

it only uses one block, so it'll work on the FM3

put a synth block into your preset before the amp block. i like to have it in parallel with the main line. set mix to 100% and bypass mode to "mute fx in" in case you want to bypass it

you only need to use one voice, so set voice 1 to a triangle wave, set track to "off" and shift = 7 (also try 19 which sounds great on low notes). i have the block level on mine set to about -18db, but tweak that to taste.

View attachment 114711

attach a controller to voice 1 level. this can be an expression pedal (nice, for continuous control), or it can be a control switch. i have a control switch for mine (set up as an "FC per preset override) and i have set the "attack" parameter to about 600ms and the "release" parameter to 50ms. (this is in the parameter linking window). this is to make the effect fade in gradually. i like it on a momentary switch, rather than latching. adjust the attack value to taste.

View attachment 114712

now you need to attach the pitch controller to the "frequency" parameter for voice 1. leave everything at default, except
"start" = 30.3%
"mid" = 62%
"end" = 93.7%

this makes the frequency of the synth track the pitch follower (the pitch of any note you're playing)

View attachment 114713

you may need to tweak these values, as i've come across some units that seem to be calibrated very slightly differently

hope that helps. let me know if you have any questions

quick demo

This is very cool , sounds great 😊
Thanks for sharing this

Thanks @simeon for sharing this trick.

It works perfect when I set the frequency manually to a fixed value, but I experiment some undesired artifacts when the frequency is controlled by the Pitch Follower.
In this case, when I am holding the note and the note is sounding strong enough, the Synth block is launching the correct pitch, but after some seconds that the input note decays, the synth launchs higher short notes that breaks the desired effect of the feedback.

I have tried to put a Compressor before the Synth, using the input of the Synth block and setting the Track to Pitch+Env, without modifiers in the Frequency, but I haven't get a good result.

Another option would be to "freeze" the desired frequency of the Synth block when pressing the Control Switch 1, but I don't know how to do that.

Any ideas to increase the length of the correct frequency of the Synth block when the input note is fading out?

Reactions: yek
when you smash the strings on your guitar, are you tickling the red on the front input level meter of your unit? if you're not getting much sustain from your guitar, you might need to look into solving that first. alternatively, set track to pitch + env and instead of using a comp, use a drive block instead

Last edited:
I have achieved a very good result using a Drive block in front of the Synth as @simeon said me. Also I have put the Synth in line instead of parallel, and I am using the pedal to start and control the feedback.

Another things I have done to improve this effect in my FM3:

1) Input block: Threshold at -70

2) Drive block before Synth: Attach Pedal as modifier of the Level. More I press the pedal, more volume that goes into Synth.

3) Synth block: Pedal as modifier of Mix, from 0% to 80%

4) Synth block: Pedal as modifier of Voice 1 Level, from 40% to 100% with Middle at 65%

5) Synth block: Pitch Follower as modifier of Shift with these parameters:

Captura de pantalla 2023-01-20 a les 16.59.55.png

This configuration makes that Shift is 19 when playing low notes and 7 when playing high notes. Moving the Mid knob sets the frontier between high and low notes. The only "problem" is that the 3 notes of the frontier are always out of the limits, as the Shift is set between 7 and 19. That makes that the 3 notes have an horrible feedback. If somebody knows how to go from 19 to 7 directly, please let me know.

Shift at 19 and 24 are glorious for low notes. Both gives a nice feedback, but with different flavour.
For high notes, Shift at 7 is perfect.

For low notes a slow fade in is fantastic. For high notes I prefer a fast fade in. The pedal is perfect to play with the speed of the fade in and fade out in both cases.

Thanks again for this trick @simeon !!

I have achieved a very good result using a Drive block in front of the Synth as @simeon said me. Also I have put the Synth in line instead of parallel, and I am using the pedal to start and control the feedback.

2) Drive block before Synth: Attach Pedal as modifier of the Level. More I press the pedal, more volume that goes into Synth.

4) Synth block: Pedal as modifier of Voice 1 Level, from 40% to 100% with Middle at 65%

View attachment 114775

This configuration makes that Shift is 19 when playing low notes and 7 when playing high notes. Moving the Mid knob sets the frontier between high and low notes. The only "problem" is that the 3 notes of the frontier are always out of the limits, as the Shift is set between 7 and 19. That makes that the 3 notes have an horrible feedback. If somebody knows how to go from 19 to 7 directly, please let me know.

Shift at 19 and 24 are glorious for low notes. Both gives a nice feedback, but with different flavour.

For low notes a slow fade in is fantastic. For high notes I prefer a fast fade in. The pedal is perfect to play with the speed of the fade in and fade out in both cases.

Can you share your preset ?
Just so I can learn this stuff lol 😂

View attachment 114775

I wonder about the input gate to you would want the noise gate almost disengaged I would think
Maybe switch channel from normal gate to OFF w Scene controller ?

Back
Top Bottom