FGN guitars?

unix-guy

Master of RTFM
Anyone have any experience with FGN guitars?

I believe they're made in the Fujigen factory (hence the name) where many "classics" of the Japanese era were made.

My buddy brought a FGN bass by my place about a year ago and I was impressed. It felt on-par with the Ibanez Prestige and MIJ Jackson's I've had. Played and sounded like a modern bass should.

I believe they're made in the Fujigen factory (hence the name) where many "classics" of the Japanese era were made.
I ordered a 7 string from Pitbull, but didn't dig the curved frets and one of the tuners had play in it, so sent it back. It wasn't multiscale, they were eliptically shaped to different degrees. I decided to trade up for a ESP Eclipse E-II with an evertune that I didn't like and sold. I'm an old guitarist get off my lawn with the weird bridge and elliptical frets. 😂 I would say that I would have kept the Fujigen if it had arrived ok. I think it could have happened with any guitar, the build and neck were very nice especially considering it was $1500 total, tax/shipping included. At that price point it was a winner, and it just looked cool too. But didn't seem cheap, felt solid, etc.

Edit: this is the one, CFS circular fretting system I'd never heard of

1673104043649.png

FGN Fujigen JMY72ASHE 7-String Guitar, Ebony Fretboard, Open Pore Black

Features
Circle Fretting System (C.F.S.): All FGN guitars and basses come with a unique Circle Fretting System (C.F.S.). It was created by FGN based on an idea to offer better pitch and articulation than conventional guitars and basses. All frets are installed on fingerboard in slightly curved shape, so that every string crosses all the frets in 90 degrees, i.e. to offer a minimum contact of string on a fret, and it makes the scale length of every string even while it actually varies on conventional fretting. The C.F.S. is a solution of fretting on a traditional guitar and bass and it offers clearer articulation and tones which give dimension when you play a cord and also cut through the mix when you play single notes.
5-pc Maple/Wenge neck with Ebony fingerboard.
Traditional style bridge with FGN original 2-way stringing brass tailpiece.
GOTOH Magnum Lock tuners.
Fishman Fluence Modern Humbucking pickups with Voice switch.

Specifications
Construction: Bolt-on Neck
Body: Ash
Neck: 5pc Maple/Wenge Asymmetrical Slim U-Shape
Fingerboard: Ebony
Scale: 25.5" (648mm)
Frets: 24F Jumbo C.F.S.
Tuners: GOTOH® SG381-07 MG-T
Bridge: FGN FJBR-STD-7
Tailpiece: FGN FJTP-STD-7
Hardware Color: Black
Pickup (Neck): FISHMAN® Fluence Modern Humbucker Alnico PRF-MH7-AB1
Pickup (Bridge): FISHMAN® Fluence Modern Humbucker Ceramic PRF-MH7-CB1
Controls: 1Volume, 1Tone w/ Push-Pull SW (Voice Select), 3Way Lever SW
Body Finish: Open Pore Matte
Strings: D'Addario EXL116 + NW059 (.011-.059)
Others: Factory Tuning : Whole Step Down (1D, 2A, 3F, 4C, 5G, 6D, 7A)
Accessories: Original Gig Bag
Color: OPB (Open Pore Black)
Instrument Weight: 8.1 lbs

I've been playing a first gen FGN Elan Expert as my main guitar for the last 15 years now and it's definitely a great guitar which was very affordable back then. They still sell a lot of FGN guitars in this local shop where I bought it.

What you need to know: You don't need to concern yourself about the quality of these guitars. But if you like the sound, the playability, the looks etc. you'll of course have to know by yourself. If there's one out there you like all in all, go get it. If not, there's enough other options.

Thanks everyone for your input.

I'd love to find one of the FGN or Vola guitars locally to try out. Barring that, obviously buying on "faith" but at least armed with some input.

Also take a look at Sugi Guitars. They are the ones that built my JCRG and the replicas I had made.

Plan to spend $7,000 - $8,000 per guitar....

Last edited:
Also take a look at Sugi Guitars. They are the ones that built my JCRG and the replicas I had made.

Plan to spend $7,000 - $8,000 per guitar....
I've heard the name and seen a few. That's outside my spending budget right now...

Thanks everyone for your input.

I'd love to find one of the FGN or Vola guitars locally to try out. Barring that, obviously buying on "faith" but at least armed with some input.
I would echo the neck felt like an Ibanez, not too extreme, and felt good to me.

Which Ibanez neck would be the question ;)

A Wizard is very different from the Oval C on the AZ series...
Sorry, I thought I put another sentence on my post. I think the rep told me 10-14" compound on the 7 string, which is what I like. Thanks, now I'm going to have to buy it again and the recheck the tuners. 🙃 U-shape!

The thing about Saito is that the headstock is almost as ugly as a James Tyler :D
s-l500.jpg

I was about to grab a FGN JOS2 (here in Bangkok they sell around $1,000), but I finally imported a J-Custom from Ikebe

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom