I almost got electrocuted with an egg-boiler on the first day of the year

Interesting. They list their address as:

View attachment 113668

And I am 1000% certain Kuala Lumpur ain’t in China. Malaysia would like to have a word? 😂

German ownership
Company based in Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur)
Product manufactured in Thailand by United Gain Limited

There is no China involvement, except perhaps the origin of the thermostat and the power switch (although they could also be made in Thailand)

In this case, the blame is on the Thai manufacturer for not fully covering all the wires with heat-resistant tube. They should also take care that the wires do not touch the metal frame when they assembly it.

And the moral responsibility lies on Gabor Lorenz for claiming that that his products have "German Quality" and "German Expertise". Even though the Thai Electric code does not require a grounded conductor (EGC), he should have followed the German/European Electrical Code that requires EGC

The metal frame has two threaded terminals for connecting the earth, so it is ready for that. I do not think that the cost difference for using a 3-wire cable with an earthed plug would have ruined him. But by not doing it he could ruin other's lives.

Besides the faulty heat-resistance insulation, an accident could also happen if water or humidity goes inside the device. That is why the EGC is a vital requirement.

20230102_070143.jpg

Last edited:
German ownership

There is no China involvement, except perhaps the origin of the thermostat and the power switch (although they could also be made in Thailand)

In this case, the blame is on the Thai manufacturer for not fully covering all the wires with heat-resistant tube. They should also take care that the wires do not touch the metal frame when they assembly it.

And the moral responsibility lies on Gabor Lorenz for claiming that that his products have "German Quality" and "German Expertise". Even though the Thai Electric code does not require a grounded conductor (EGC), he should have followed the German/European Electrical Code that requires EGC

The metal frame has two threaded terminals for connecting the earth, so it is ready for that. I do not think that the cost difference for using a 3-wire cable with an earthed plug would have ruined him. But by not doing it he could ruin other's lives.

Besides the faulty heat-resistance insulation, an accident could also happen if water or humidity goes inside the device. That is why the EGC is a vital requirement.

View attachment 113690
Our Samsung electric stove did the same thing, and then all four surface thermostats failed within a year, then the oven element :-/. Parts cost more than a new stove. Of four Samsung appliances we had they all failed, the washer & dryer was a failure/junk/poor design from day one. They make awesome TVs though.

I installed a ptac heat-pump not long ago. Designed in Japan, components made in China, assembled in Mexico, sold in the US. Most things have kinda standardized through international code, but sifting through so many hands leave too many places for corners to get cut and shortcuts to be taken.

I'm always wary buying cheap stuff on ebay/amazon, specifically unknown brand names originating in the far east with fake CE stickers on, ever since I pulled on a cheapo charger to take it out the wall and the entire casing came off in my hands exposing the wires and the rest of it still in the (live) socket. It's hard not to buy anything that's made in China electronics wise though, I try and go with major brand names where at least some thought went into QC and safety. I wouldn't touch Aliexpress with a bargepole.

I'm always wary buying cheap stuff on ebay/amazon, specifically unknown brand names originating in the far east with fake CE stickers on, ever since I pulled on a cheapo charger to take it out the wall and the entire casing came off in my hands exposing the wires and the rest of it still in the (live) socket. It's hard not to buy anything that's made in China electronics wise though, I try and go with major brand names where at least some thought went into QC and safety. I wouldn't touch Aliexpress with a bargepole.

That also happened to me with the charger of a Lelo Ina 2 Wave Rabbit. It exploted on my hands exactly as you described. Lelo is an expensive Swedish brand with approved CE mark, allegedly strict QC, one year of warranty, industry awards, etc...

The electronic components inside most devices at you home are exactly the same ones that you can buy from AliExpress, so the risk is the similar regardless of the brand.

The accident of my Egg Boiler is not to be blamed at bad components. It is negligence of the person that was assembling that unit. He failed to cover all the wire with heat-resistant tube

Last edited:
Where did you touch a metal part? The housing looks like plastic all around. Did you touch the water? Do you have 220-240 Volts there?

Where did you touch a metal part? The housing looks like plastic all around. Did you touch the water? Do you have 220-240 Volts there?

Fuck Gaabor.jpg
I grabbed it with both hands. I felt the shock all along the arms and the chest, muscles contracting, and I involuntary shouted "Aaaaaa!".

Lucky that I was wearing thick rubber slippers. If it happened to my wife, she is usually barefooted at home.

Last edited:
I’ve got one of these, not the same brand but same deal, except mine will do poached/sunny side up, over easy, omelettes, just by switching out the dish on top. It was like $8 at Target and an impulse buy I’ve used exactly one time. :D

Cheap Chinese junk indeed, and a worker that didn't give a crap. Unfortunately we have some of those in the States too. Glad you didn't take any damage and just a scare. If it's not cracked I would just fix it. GFI in the kitchen is code, so you should install one. As pointed out, they will prevent surprises like this from happening. Happy new year!

German ownership

View attachment 113690
I wonder if the reason for not installing a ground is the same reason people rip ground plugs off because they’re “inconvenient and not needed anyway and with them you can’t use it in every outlet” 🙄. Usually I’d hear that from people when I was running a performance venue and they’d look at me like I was crazy when I’d take the extension cord they ripped the ground off of straight to the garbage. And then those same people would plug in the Fender Hot Rod with the ripped off ground into a Christmas light extension cord (I would always find a new IEC and properly grounded cable for them for safety). So I’m not surprised when companies cut corners to avoid “complaints”. Glad to hear you are okay though!

Cheap Chinese junk indeed, and a worker that didn't give a crap.

I'm assuming that rather than the worker not caring, it could also be the equivalent of slave labor, someone too overworked and overtired to be able to function properly on the assembly line, making it too easy to make a mistake that could kill someone. For that to happen, the foreman also has not to care, the company, the regulatory agency, and/or the government.

You could totally be right, but I wonder.

I don't know if anyone in the States makes stuff like this anymore. It's all about low costs for consumers. Some of it is actually good quality, but more junk than quality from China. I try to buy USA made goods, or anywhere other than China. I have a thing for German tools and knives.

I'm assuming that rather than the worker not caring, it could also be the equivalent of slave labor, someone too overworked and overtired to be able to function properly on the assembly line, making it too easy to make a mistake that could kill someone. For that to happen, the foreman also has not to care, the company, the regulatory agency, and/or the government.

You could totally be right, but I wonder.

I don't really blame the worker to be honest. I suspect the better quality China products come from factories that treat their people better, and something like this egg machine came from a labor mill. Could be wrong, I haven't been there.

View attachment 113760
I grabbed it with both hands. I felt the shock all along the arms and the chest, muscles contracting, and I involuntary shouted "Aaaaaa!".

Lucky that I was wearing thick rubber slippers. If it happened to my wife, she is usually barefooted at home.
Bad design! User touchable metal parts on the outside but no grounding wire. 🙈 That's crazy. Danger built-in.
I wouldn't replace this one with another non-defective unit.

I don't know if anyone in the States makes stuff like this anymore. It's all about low costs for consumers. Some of it is actually good quality, but more junk than quality from China. I try to buy USA made goods, or anywhere other than China. I have a thing for German tools and knives.
You can get top notch quality stuff from Chinese manufacturers, but you have to specify it down to the finest detail, and inspect the product for it, and, of course, pay for it....

You can get top notch quality stuff from Chinese manufacturers, but you have to specify it down to the finest detail, and inspect the product for it, and, of course, pay for it....
Yeah it’s hard to admit, but for the most part the quality is there now for the right price. It’s funny because I was alive for the tail end of “everything from Japan is junk” time here in the States. Now we clamor for Japanese products. Really, when I say I was alive it was more hearing it from older people or in old media. Because by the late 60’s Japan was taking over much of the industrial world. Having said this, the working conditions can still be awful in many plants and environmental considerations are not very important in China.

One of the worst most deplorable labor situations in the world is in Africa and the mining for raw materials to make Lithium batteries for all the electric stuff we’re all suppose to using in 10 years. Straight up slave labor. What’s really hilarious is there isn’t enough to have everyone driving an electric car. So the plan must be that many of us won’t have individual transportation. Nifty how these types of decisions are being made without the properly informed consent of the people.

Sorry for all the know-it-all ism and self-righteous moralizing and pontification you were subjected to here, @Piing .

This forum certainly warrants the reputation it has earned.

Some who posted are not as smart or as knowledgeable as they assume they are on EVERY subject under the Sun either. 🤣

Glad you are ok. Lucky indeed!! :)

Interesting. They list their address as:

View attachment 113668

And I am 1000% certain Kuala Lumpur ain’t in China. Malaysia would like to have a word? 😂
That's was my first reaction.
Just dropped the listed address into Google Earth. The response..."We couldn't understand this location".
Must be due to the hybrid China/Kuala Lumpur address provided.
DODGY!

If I had a wife, I'd buy her one. :p

Jokes aside, I'm glad you're ok Piing

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom